IGNORED

stupid first world achievements and successes

eugene

found some underwear at the back of the drawer that are basically new. 

also, had my yearly CT Scan last week and all good news. the 2cm mass in my right kidney has not grown at all. just sitting there like a dumb bastard making me wait. and nothing else new or weird in the scan. so, that's good. not so much an achievement as good luck. i guess i'll have to live a little longer into the coming dystopia. 

• Like 8

been planning a ferry trip to the Isle of Man for some time now and i've managed to dig out my dad's old Panasonic walkman ❤️

PXL_20230517_225330891.thumb.jpg.fcaec046a6e3e149df3a2dc64b54e0e7.jpg

i'm planning to do a bunch of different things when i get there, but for some reason the actual ~4hr ferry trip is what i'm looking forward to the most. i haven't used this thing for years but it works just fine. i have cassette issues of recent WARP/Ninja Tune albums (some of which are still sealed!) and all i can say is, why let them collect dust for years instead of actually using them? might be risky but YOLO. maybe not take SAW2.

20 hours ago, Dragon said:

been planning a ferry trip to the Isle of Man for some time now and i've managed to dig out my dad's old Panasonic walkman ❤️

PXL_20230517_225330891.thumb.jpg.fcaec046a6e3e149df3a2dc64b54e0e7.jpg

i'm planning to do a bunch of different things when i get there, but for some reason the actual ~4hr ferry trip is what i'm looking forward to the most. i haven't used this thing for years but it works just fine. i have cassette issues of recent WARP/Ninja Tune albums (some of which are still sealed!) and all i can say is, why let them collect dust for years instead of actually using them? might be risky but YOLO. maybe not take SAW2.

been trying to buy walkman's from friends and such, it's unbelievable how everybody threw them away... and don't even get me started on ebay prices...

Edited by cruising for burgers

16 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

been trying to buy walkman's from friends and such, it's unbelievable how everybody threw them away... and don't even get me started on ebay prices...

i know! it's such a shame. all these new cassette/vinyl releases yet no-one's manufacturing decent equipment to play it back. looks like it's just the same with turntables/tape decks as it is with portable walkmans.

i hope you can find one bro. stick at it ?

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2023 at 4:57 PM, zero said:

it's all connected man. I too went through a job change last year, and know exactly what you're talking about. I didn't want to accept the fact that I was stuck in a bad job with a bad boss, because the alternative of being unemployed is always far scarier. and I didn't realize at the time just how much of that negativity from the bad job was bleeding into my personal life. we try and tell ourselves we can separate our work selves from our personal life, but we all know that's not how it works. that work bullshit keeps lingering on in our heads after we clock out, and it affects us. yeah after I changed jobs, I noticed other positive life things started to occur...

This! I was in the same situation and the amount of shit I brought home was killing my girlfriend. She thought I hated her when in reality I just hated my job.

On 3/17/2023 at 9:30 AM, Squee said:

image.png

It's a girl!

tony-soprano-panic-attack.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

been trying to buy walkman's from friends and such, it's unbelievable how everybody threw them away... 

hey I bet you threw one away there mister... I threw many away. we all threw them away! why? CD's of course! we all took that glorious leap from analog to digital. then we took the leap from physical to mp3. now we're going back from mp3 to analogue. cycles man...it's all about cycles...

On 5/19/2023 at 2:47 AM, cruising for burgers said:

trying to buy walkman's from friends

have an ol' sony walkmanperson here :

sony-wm-f16-ams-jpg.33594

pm us if ur interested tim. has a few scratches & stickers on it, works fine

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Despite all the moaning and groaning I tend to do around here I had one of those magical bar nights were the conversations flowed without becoming restrictive or weird and topped the night off buying some records that I'll get to play to the same bar people in a couple of weeks (who by then will in no doubt have turned into a bunch of non-appreciating phillistines but it's all good)(for now)).

• Like 3
  • Big Brain 1

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus Christ

Recently I’ve been suspended from work for 5 weeks for suspected gross misconduct. Apart from my father dying from bone cancer it’s been the worst 5 weeks of my life. The prospect of losing your job from a company you’re fairly happy in (it’s definitely got its problems like most jobs nowadays, but funny how you view those stresses as nothing when you could get the boot) and you have been there for 15 years is a horrible experience. I had my meeting this morning and I’m in the clear. By the skin of my teeth. It was only because a very senior manager high up, with many years service and a lot of clout who i’m good friends with and I’ve helped many times over the years, came to my rescue at the 11th hour. I can’t express how lucky I have been. Like they say. And is so true. It’s not what you know it’s who you know. Been in tears of emotion most of the morning. Fucking beer time tonight and this weekend ? 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2

Almost on vacation (fully paid because education) but not quite. Am now sick (a bit). Which normally happens *during* my vacation, so this is a first world success for me.

1 hour ago, Limo said:

Almost on vacation (fully paid because education) but not quite. Am now sick (a bit). Which normally happens *during* my vacation, so this is a first world success for me.

In Finland, if you get sick during vacation, you just go to a doctor and get a sick leave certificate for the days you're sick, and you get to use the vacation days later. This is very nice.

friend of mine got murdered camping in the middle of nowhere two weeks ago.. seeing as it's in switzerland it's kind of a first world problem? one of the few times the utopia feeling of this country lifted for me. some people are fucked in the head i swear.. i wonder if this sort of thing is more normal for some of you in other countries

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, dcom said:

That's FUBAR AF, WTF.

yeah it's pretty bad. here's a translated article if you're curious: https://fr1-topnews-media.translate.goog/2023/06/13/suisse-orientale-s-†-31-battu-a-mort-a-jestetten-d/?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

He used to do this loads, everywhere, just bring a bit of food, something to make a fire maybe, a tent or a hammock. 40 head police squad looking for info but of course there's nothing to be found. Wish I could ask 4chan for help to find the fucker on security cameras.. dude had a baby couple months ago too :sad:

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, Nebraska said:

correct!

TrCUZ6g.jpg

cheers to that man. this place really is like a pub i love it. guess thats why i feel comfortable posting that here. there should be a skit about an entire thread walking into a bar, each profile picture spewing the stupidest shit but they're all having a laugh in the end. maybe the last frontier of the internet for me this :beer:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dcom said:

In Finland, if you get sick during vacation, you just go to a doctor and get a sick leave certificate for the days you're sick, and you get to use the vacation days later. This is very nice.

It works like this in the Netherlands as well, but I work as a teacher so, you know, not really possible.