IGNORED

What's the greatest and best David Bowie song that ever lived?

Fred McGriff

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Black Country Rock" is it..

Aphex Twin's/Philip Glass's Heroes remix is my personal favorite. It's a lot more powerful for me than the original.

I'm not much of a fan though. I really like a lot of his work, but he hams it up a little too much and goes on too long sometimes.

For me, it's a tie between:

• Sweet Thing
  • Big Brother... (really almost anything off of Diamond Dogs)
  • You've Been Around
  • Word on a Wing
  • Oh You Pretty Things
  • Starman
  • Station to Station
  • China Girl

(Obviously this a hard question for a hardcore Bowie fan like myself to answer ha)

• 2 weeks later...

goddamn right

so many songs from Station to Station are underrated/overlooked, TVC15, Word on a Wing

I can't quite make a top 10 Bowie albums list, but Station to Station would without a doubt be in the top 5 somewhere.

Stay (such a beast live)

[youtubehd]7tWyIug2qP0[/youtubehd]

Stay has always been one of my faves.

Here is another great live version...

http://youtu.be/eXZKsKD1UsY

FYI...

If you listen to the chord progression in the chorus, it's the same as the progression in the chorus of "John, I'm Only Dancing".

http://youtu.be/6VrqCBsbeuc

You can really tell in the chorus of "John, I'm Only Dancing... Again"

->

http://youtu.be/RwPzPxa0ewY

• Sweet Thing

Fuggin A

Thank the fucking lord someone finally said this. Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing Reprise is easily my favorite Bowie moment among dozens of other totally godlike moments.

• Sweet Thing

Fuggin A

Thank the fucking lord someone finally said this. Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing Reprise is easily my favorite Bowie moment among dozens of other totally godlike moments.

:yeah::gamer::nyan::beer:

• 2 years later...

what is a song? in strict sense, it has a certain structure and Bowie moved away from that structure at certain point ... let's say a great song is something that can be sung with acoustic guitar strumming or piano backing and the strength of the melody and harmonic progression still carries it .... Bowie had great songs ....

he also had great riff based rock tunes

and he had great simple catchy pop tunes, with great instrumental hooks

he had groove based tracks

he had experimental stuff ...

but the greatest song-song was ... "TIME" - just to nominate something non obvious ...

( RIP David ... I still remember the record of yours I bought first, and where ... from the food store, from the rack near the counter ... LOW as a c-cassette ... my country had two TV channels and one radio broadcast, sending rock or pop maybe one or two hours a week, so Bowie could as welI have been from outer space .... still got Heroes and Low as vinyls .... sorry, I sold the rest ....)

"Dust to Dust"

It has like seven different parts

Robert Fripp plays guitar on it

The outro is a 3-bar phrase with a 4-bar vocal on top of it (whose melody constantly changes to accommodate the 3-bar harmonic progression)

It is a true testament to how ambitious pop music can be

imo life on mars

i have yet to hear everything he's done, but it's such a great fucking song with such a powerful chorus

he had quite the knack for powerful choruses / climaxes in his songs

I heard a weird Barbara Streisand cover of "Life On Mars" yesterday on a local radio station...but man it still sounded great. My little kid even tried singing along....well as much a 6 month old can anyway.

Archived