IGNORED

What's the greatest and best David Bowie song that ever lived?

Fred McGriff

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

close second haha

When I heard his new single, "Where are we now?" I swear it was just an expanded, re-recorded version of this song.

Dont think i've ever heard Lodger, which is a bit weird.

Boys Keep Swinging... ftw.

Great album.

Also, I love that song Move On. I think it's up there, for me.

I read that, apparently, the music for Move On is just All The Young Dudes played backwards. I guess he used to do a lot of that sort of thing.

I also heard he never comes into the studio with written material (or at least hasn't since before Ziggy) and that he writes everything in the studio.

Man, Im probably one of the biggest David Bowie fans around...and naming one is absolutely impossible.

I can however mention one that hit me the hardest when I was in my mopey depressed college years.

This shit is just intense, especially the end to fade-out:

[youtubehd]KqqOVqjxs6Y[/youtubehd]

soundtrack to drinking and losing your mind in a horrible place for a night.

this one as well is pretty thematically related

[youtubehd]2j4mfErOeqg[/youtubehd]

i think i just really love these two because you really can tell how self-destructive he's been.

From Low to Scary Monsters Bowie just wails like a horribly tortured banshee and it just feels so damn honest.

Guest Wall Bird

Really? Nobody's digging 'Oh You Pretty Things'? Where else are you gonna hear someone sing a song about the nietzschean superman? Such a sweet topic. Not his best singing but when that chorus hits...

No 'Life on Mars'? Maybe early Bowie is too obvious for some people. The early stuff makes me feel so warm inside.

I really dig some of the outtakes from his album, too like his piano version of 'Lady Stardust'. The singing really gets me:

[youtubehd]GZRxHyv-PoI[/youtubehd]

or the Arnold Corns version of 'Moonage Daydream'. I like that one better than the original. The alternate lyrics resonate a lot more with me.

[youtubehd]KsH95qmmr9g[/youtubehd]

I think what really sold me on Bowie's singing, - not that I wasn't convinced - I mean really nailed it for me was hearing the acapella recording of him and Freddy Mercury on 'Under Pressure'. Everything about this recording is immaculate: The arrangement, the engineering, and especially the performances. If I have the choice I prefer this over the full version. My god. That voice.

[youtubehd]uMQb9LCNGxs[/youtubehd]

I almost mentioned that one too. I love that song.

I also want to throw another into the ring...

http://youtu.be/ZY77zDzNmYw

Fucks sake. Jesus. Epic

So good.

That is a ten-minute song that feels like 3 min.

I was just reading how Bowie can't remember anything about those sessions. He says that the only reason he knows they were in LA is because he read that they were.

So. Much. Blow.

hahaha love the coked up stories....apparently they had to force feed him ice cream to keep him alive.

also, I swear that the beginning of Green Calx is the beginning of Station to Station sped up/manipulated.

I almost mentioned that one too. I love that song.

I also want to throw another into the ring...

http://youtu.be/ZY77zDzNmYw

Fucks sake. Jesus. Epic

So good.

That is a ten-minute song that feels like 3 min.

I was just reading how Bowie can't remember anything about those sessions. He says that the only reason he knows they were in LA is because he read that they were.

So. Much. Blow.

Station to Station is my favorite Bowie song

still think this is at least in his all-time top 10 songs.

everything here shows a professional comfortable and creative in his setting.

atmosphere, production, the crawling smokey vocals, absolutely brilliant.

Archived