IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Guest cult fiction

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it? Damn! I was gonna post my rip.

edit: shouldn't forget mentioning what a beautiful piece this is, now that I heard it properly without a bunch of people ordering sushi and talking about used little girl panties over it!

not sure what i'm missing here, but isn't this just "okay"? i mean- doesn't it sound exactly like telefon tel-aviv?

i do like the end of the video, and the colors throughout. very beyond the black raindow-esque

Guest abracadabra

Pretty disappointed with this track. But can't wait for the album, regardless. Hoping it's not going to turn out like Daft Punk.

Pretty disappointed with this track. But can't wait for the album, regardless. Hoping it's not going to turn out like Daft Punk.

Seriously? You don't like it?

i think it's a good track, i normally don't like Boc. Sounds better than campfire's stuff. The only thing on here that sounds sort of odd to me is the bit crush effect on the drums, is that worrying to anybody here?
I haven't listened to their entire catalog, but i dont recall them doing something like that before.

Guest abracadabra

Seriously? You don't like it?

No, it's boring.

the bit crush effect on the drums, is that worrying to anybody here?

Yes.

i think the drums sound fine until what appears to be a climactic point in the video, where those 3 suns appear. Then it starts to sound straight out of 2002. Which is fine, i'm not opposed to treading old territory, im just a little surprised by the reactions by fans so far.

i think it's a good track, i normally don't like Boc. Sounds better than campfire's stuff. The only thing on here that sounds sort of odd to me is the bit crush effect on the drums, is that worrying to anybody here?

I haven't listened to their entire catalog, but i dont recall them doing something like that before.

fairly sure they had a bitcrushy thing on at least one track from MHTRTC (i think telephasic workshop?) and definitely gyroscope too...

but i get what you're saying. they sound extremely 'IDM' which in 2013 is... weird to my ears.

there is too much hype surrounding this release for it to matter what people think anymore in my opinion. they have clearly spent a long, long time making sure its exactly as they wanted it, so you if you dont like it, no-one is going to care.

i quite like the track, except for its insistent return to the tonic at times where i feel a more interesting chord could have been used to increase the emotion. but also, who cares what i think.

i wouldnt have been suprised if they hadnt of returned simply because of the insane level of scrutiny anything they make is going to incur.

The bit crush effect on the drums is strange, but I love the buildup and the melody. It's a bit like music is math and chromakey dreamcoat, the second tracks of both discs, like this one, and kind of a "softer" entry to the album (meaning a more meandering, not too powerful melody, not weak either, just kind of... wandering or searching? ;p)

there is too much hype surrounding this release for it to matter what people think anymore in my opinion. they have clearly spent a long, long time making sure its exactly as they wanted it, so you if you dont like it, no-one is going to care.

i quite like the track, except for its insistent return to the tonic at times where i feel a more interesting chord could have been used to increase the emotion. but also, who cares what i think.

i wouldnt have been suprised if they hadnt of returned simply because of the insane level of scrutiny anything they make is going to incur.

Some good points there.

Guest abracadabra

So basically, criticism is bad, especially when it comes to music and art that people have spent a long time on. What kind of progressive culture, especially in the realm of "leftfield" music, would tolerate that?

in my opinion criticism is basically meaningless in any respect, as long an artist believes they have made the best they can possibly make, the opinion of anyone apart from them, and the one listener who loves the music, is completely irrelevant. music is so subjective it doesnt matter. and this is coming from someone who has spent the better part of a decade studying undeniably genius music in the form of classical.

those who cant, criticize.

there are people whos opinions on music i heavily respect, but at the same time, but if i love something and everyone else thinks its shit, fuck them. who cares?

i've thought about this as well - if it wasn't BoC, would people care? but any piece of music comes loaded with attached... stuff. if it was tycho, people would absolutely care less. but BoC carry this baggage with them in that they were essentially responsible for discovering this rich musical vein that other artists have continued to mine since MHARTC. they're the daddies when it comes to this stuff, people are going to get excited even if it sounds like deadmau5 jumping on a CS80.

i do, it's nice to see some criticism properly articulated from someone who knows their chops. i thought the same. yknow what would have been awesome? a modulation to the major third or fifth, ending on a third or fifth of the third or fifth without resolution.

Archived