IGNORED

Vinyl, to buy or not to buy that is the question

MadameChaos

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pioneerstereoreceivermodelsx-750_1.jpg

i used to have this very receiver, was bloody loud if i recall correctly...

Sounds right, 70s era solid state amps are hella loud. That adage "they don't make them like they used to" really applies. I'm slowly bartering and selling equipment (including basic repairs) with the goal of owning a vintage receiver. Currently have this:

Yamaha_R-3_frnt_700x389_pixels.gif

buy the vinyl record, record it and make the compact disc, cassette and digital files. vinyl provides you with the ability to have everything in one go

ah yeah i can make mp3s with my turntable. not quite figured out how though... :cerious:

If you buy vinyl from blrep you often get the digital files free. Personally I don't know why anyone would choose to buy a compact disc now that digital is so readily available. If you buy the vinyl, just DL the digital files from Bloop for your iphone etc, and if you want burn a cdr for your cd player (if you have one). In the end you get all formats for the price of the vinyl.

But I'm biased, I love t he way vinyl sounds and looks. Buying a vinyl record and taking it out of the sleeve and placing the turntable, watching it spin, adjusting pitch etc. etc. is just a completely different experience to downloading or popping a compact disc in a player. Owning vinyl is special. IMO

^ Pretty much this...make tapes for your Walkman, CDRs for work, etc.

Also, you can always sell your vinyl and get your money back...more sometimes...and then buy even more vinyl.

It's one sexily vicious circle:

IMG_11431.jpg

^ A friend used to have something similar to the Yamaha posted above, and I love the variable loudness control on those. It's a shame that almost all modern "hi-fi" manufacturers avoid any form of loudness compensation like the plague, I like the sound of it.

As for vinyl just start buying it if you want to, you'll figure out quickly whether it's something you want to do all the time. IMO, CDs are the cheaper and more convenient way to build a collection, and vinyl is more expensive and desirable but also a lot less convenient. So it depends on the mood, the price (difference), and whether I feel a certain release is one that belongs (or that I just have to have) on vinyl... Hell I'll buy both for the stuff I really like.

i bought vinyl for a period of 10 years and have a nice selection. i stopped buying because i would never listen to them, i only listen to mp3s it seems, i still have records i haven't opened yet. also, i save a lot of money.

music is not a commodity or a fruit of labor, it should be free hence the usage of services like what.cd or soulseek is the most correct form of acquiring music in its most correct form. physical media is an abomination.

music is not a commodity or a fruit of labor, it should be free hence the usage of services like what.cd or soulseek is the most correct form of acquiring music in its most correct form. physical media is an abomination.

Are you fucking... special?

Or just trolling?

Nevermind. Clearly just trolling. No amount of brain damage could make someone actually believe that lol.

Guest Papillon

Or just trolling?

Nevermind. Clearly just trolling. No amount of brain damage could make someone actually believe that lol.

Lol

Or just trolling?

Lol

It was hard to tell, because of the universal caveats to the mideast conflict is lack of space for vinyl storage.

oooh i was fighting the urge to make a similar comment but you went there.

I just had to, I love Eugene and the main reason I hesitated is because he's unwillingly called into so many shitty political threads.

Guest disparaissant

to buy

always to buy

i see buying vinyl as more of a collecting thing than anything. i try to limit myself to a record or two a month so i don't go overboard.

oooh i was fighting the urge to make a similar comment but you went there.

I just had to, I love Eugene and the main reason I hesitated is because he's unwillingly called into so many shitty political threads.

lol I'm starting to hate those threads too. They're not nearly as bad now as when Compson was still around tho.

to buy

always to buy

i see buying vinyl as more of a collecting thing than anything. i try to limit myself to a record or two a month so i don't go overboard.

:beer:
:beer: x2

I'm a record junkie. I've been buying them since before the advent of mp3s. Sometimes, you can't find what you want on any other format.

This is especially the case for me, seeing as though I mostly buy old jungle 12"s. Those are often less than $10 each, so I don't always feel bad about it. I only get new vinyl from my favorite artists that I want to support.

I've been collecting for a while now, so there is very little that I feel like I still NEED.

There is nothing like record shopping though. It's my favorite activity. I could do it all day, every day and not get tired. I don't even need to buy anything. I literally get a thrill when I'm thumbing through the bins, thinking I might find a treasure. My fingers and nostrils just get so dirty.

I think I posted a thread once about how much I enjoy record shopping.

Guest Papillon

to buy

always to buy

:beer:
:beer: x2

I'm a record junkie. I've been buying them since before the advent of mp3s. Sometimes, you can't find what you want on any other format.

This is especially the case for me, seeing as though I mostly buy old jungle 12"s. Those are often less than $10 each, so I don't always feel bad about it. I only get new vinyl from my favorite artists that I want to support.

I've been collecting for a while now, so there is very little that I feel like I still NEED.

There is nothing like record shopping though. It's my favorite activity. I could do it all day, every day and not get tired. I don't even need to buy anything. I literally get a thrill when I'm thumbing through the bins, thinking I might find a treasure. My fingers and nostrils just get so dirty.

I think I posted a thread once about how much I enjoy record shopping.

Good post

I remember when Conumber came out on Spymania, me and a few friends got it on release day and we were pretty excited about Duke of Harringay but none of us were able to find it in our local shops. They only got one copy or something and some other guy got it. I recall how I felt when I eventually found it at a crappy house music / rap shop about six months later. It was like my heart stopped momentarily when I found it buried behind a bunch of terrible euro trance records.

In those days when one of us picked up a legendary record like that we would get together to listen to it for the first time. Usually we'd lite up first.

iTunes and MP3 destroyed that part of music for most people.

Definitely agree about record shopping being a favourite activity. When I had more expendable money the music & video exchange bag handles would cut right through my fingers through the weight. Used to love getting up there early, shopping for a few hours, lunch and a couple beers then shop some more. And look through on the journey home.

Guest 30equals

records look way more sexier on shelves than cd's ! :w00t:

nah, i only buy vinyl & tapes. cd's only if they're from an artist i follow and there's no vinyl available.

imo, some vinyl releases are stupid when they cut a long track into pieces just for the sake of it, like that Basinsky 'desintegration loops' reissue, etc..

Archived