IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Can we get explicit confirmation that naming the bonus track on Exai Keyosc was a direct reference to watmm?

Why a reference to WATMM?

Someone other than me would know the lore better but it was some jokingly rumored Ae album that was supposed to come out forever called Kiosk. There was even fake album art posted on here iirc.

Guest Shit Attack

hi autechre Dont you think Another world was cooler than Flashback ? I could never get past the start of that + I think they were made by the same people or something

thanks

Guest pixelives

Hey guys,

So first time I saw you was around this time of year in 98 in NYC at the Other Music warehouse party for the launch of their website (!!). I remember it being pretty mental (w Plaid and Stockhausen+Walkman).

Was this set recorded? Any memories of that night?

Also: I was super excited when you played that Herb Alpert track in the radio mix. One of my favorite jams. Production is deep as fuck for some 80's balaeric jazz.

jazz

Why do you concentrate on new techniques and gadgets instead of concentrate on creating beautiful content? Is it because you favour commercial success over artistic success? Or is it because you like sound editing techniques more than music itself? Do you like the music on Record Label Records?

each of your albums have their own unifying 'vibe' or identity that comes both from the hardware / software used as well as the compositional process:

untilted - densely programmed step sequenced kit.

quaristice - looser & sparser live jams with hardware.

oversteps - evolving generative melody (i'm assuming sequenced via Max?).

i'm curios what the process/vibe was for Exai? what was the hard/software situation that the album grew out of and how were those early experiments refined and evolved to get the 'Exai sound' ?

Whats your favourite album, of your own and of someone else's work.

i find these kind of Qs impossible

depends on context and timing

How about at present.

past and future you will answer different, but I'm asking now.

Guest Seginustemple

Are there any favorite moments on Exai that you wish watmm had noticed more? A specific glorious sound, stroke of genius at 5.09, that sort of thing...

ol dirty, gza or rza?

anyone better then rakim, if so, who?

I'd love some insight into your role in the design process of the last few album identities that tdr had the pleasure of making basic shapes for.

i asked this question before. maybe you chose not to answer it, or maybe you didn't see the question... but: do you guys have other jobs besides making music or are you making enough with just your new releases, the whole back catalogue, shows, remixes?

Edited by Franciscus

I heard a friend say that 10ish years ago you played at a venue called the Wexner Center in Columbus, Ohio. Will any shows in or near Columbus happen again? Every cool electronic act seems to be going towards Europe these days, and I can never get a chance to see them.

Related but not entirely: do you ever do house shows, and have you considered doing more?

Edited by gmanyo

Guest nene multiple assgasms

Given that's you gus have been at the leading edge of sonic explorations for 20+ years have you developed any personal alternate theories and postulations about what music actually is?

yeah music = speech - text

at least roughly - i reckon it's a kind of super-developed version of the pitch and intonation parts of speech (the aural bit that doesn't contain textual info)

you should check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Language-Brain-Aniruddh-Patel/dp/0199755302/