IGNORED

Burial - Rival Dealer

bubbhasdance

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As brilliant as expected from start to finish. Different and suprising as well. Top notch.

'Cheese' is not the word I would use to describe the uplifting melodics of this release. To me, Cheese is some Jersey Club bed squeak shit, the Rustie-alikes of 2013, or trap-rave. I view this as more of a direct homage to the major-chord melodic stylings of 80s pop/soundtracks.

Maybe some of you only resonate with music that's evocative of loneliness, isolation, and sadness. If you need a hug PM me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAgY5MqpUq4

3:31

The best use of that break still goes to PM Dawn (even though I am pretty sure they got it from sampling the Erik B & Rakim track:

They did, but that's a pretty slick flip of the break.

For years I thought Enigma sampled it too, but that was apparently a Soul II Soul sample:

autotune + miley cyrus vibes, not what i expected from an almost 2014 era Burial release. His last stuff seemed to be maturing a lot, this sounds Zomby quality to me

are there any original compositions on this or is it all sampled? Part of me thinks he's composing stuff around these horrendous autotuned vocals, but the melodies all sound very familiar. Very weird release in the sense that it sounds way worse than any other burial I've heard.

He crosses it regularly, depending on my mood. It's reaching new christmassy heights on Come Down To Us for sure, but I'm already warming up to Hiders now that I've heard it in its entirety. That one's sort of cheesy too but not in a bad way.

he does cross it regularly, the autotune has been abused heavily in the past...but this is like top 10 fodder, his other stuff seemed to dwell among the top 40 zeitgeist, without the record crackler this is the type of music you'd hear on that Kardashian reality show, it's insane.

autotune + miley cyrus vibes, not what i expected from an almost 2014 era Burial release. His last stuff seemed to be maturing a lot, this sounds Zomby quality to me

are there any original compositions on this or is it all sampled? Part of me thinks he's composing stuff around these horrendous autotuned vocals, but the melodies all sound very familiar. Very weird release in the sense that it sounds way worse than any other burial I've heard.

I thought of Zomby too, similar embrace of rave and "cheese-y" yet nostalgic aesthetics. Their sincerity differs greatly even if their drawing from the same sources. Zomby has always been a lot more flippant overall. Burial doesn't have a twitter account and a "U WOT M8" personal. Burial has always seemed to be very meticulous and thoughtful on what he samples. (Hell, I swear I heard a re-used vocal in one of those tracks from an earlier release, albeit not pitched down - could be wrong though) It's far more layered and nuanced, and his output has always been spare and spaced out.

For a year that's been so incessant on retro sounds and revival, I like how Burial's embrace of that trend still sounds very much like himself.

Also, this is about the most anti-Four Tet sounding release of his yet. Maybe that will finally dismiss all those bullshit, attention-seeking tumblr and blogger posts that claim they're the same person.

Also, this is about the most anti-Four Tet sounding release of his yet. Maybe that will finally dismiss all those bullshit, attention-seeking tumblr and blogger posts that claim they're the same person.

Especially since he's obviously Kode9.

as always i'm impressed with Wattm's collective prescience

thanks guys

If I were a girl, do you guys think I'd be Burial's type?

You are Burial's type... heheheheheheheeheheh heh

I'm Burial :shuriken::blush:

Confirmed, Candiru is Burial.

'Rough Sleeper' is an impossibly high pinnacle to top though and upon cursory listen nothing on here comes anywhere near it. Still, lovely.

I think the Kindred EP is the best thing he's ever done

Street Halo EP is still my favorite by far. Stolen Dog hits all the right notes

really not feeling this, aside from a few snippets here and there.

feels a lot lazier than his other releases, such a shame as I thought his sound was going somewhere really interesting in Truant.

I get he wants to change up his sound, I don't take issue with that, but this just sounds weak.

those drums, those melodys. still half convinced its a pisstake tbh...soz

Especially since he's obviously Kode9.

Hah. It's a better theory but I don't buy that either. Kode9 has a career in academia for one, and considering how outspoken he was at the efforts of The Sun to reveal Burial's identity, there's no way he'd put that in jeopardy.

Besides consistent stories about Bevan from multiple peers, I think that's too elaborate of an alter ego for anyone to pull off. There really is a lack of self-awareness to the project and that's why it's always been so distinct and appealing to listeners. The project is not at all concerned with what's trendy and popular at the moment. If he injects R&B or 2-step garage in his music, it's because it says something about his actual influences and taste growing up, not because he's yet another 20-something in LA or Brooklyn trying to get traction on pitchfork or some other taste-maker music site and making a calculated "artistic" decision.

If it crosses over, it's a coincidence. His popularity stems from his originality. He's already influenced entire discographies tremendously (Ghostek, Volor Flex, Clubroot, Synkro). It's very akin to Aphex Twin in the 1990s that regard. (That said, he doesn't buy into his own mystique like RDJ did). I'm often wary of most producers diving into hyped styles and aesthetics for critical attention and that's not the case here. He's apt at sampling what he samples because he's familiar with it, not because it's what every other dubstep/vaporwave/witch-house/chillwave/[insert hyped genre tag here] is doing it. That's probably why I still find this EP so refreshing when on the surface it's his most iffy. He's drawing on nostalgic cheese, sure, but it's from a completely different intention. I'm usually one to make assumptions and have doubts, but I still find his music to be sincere.

Guest bitroast

Merry christmas fuckers!!

This has moments that are alright and I probably enjoyed the third track the most (digging that cheese, damn!) but overall the sparse production actually sounds more lazy than sparse. And the stop start style gets frustrating for me. It could be an amazing release and everything, but this seems fucking weak (IMO) and it would seem pointless listening to this too often. Not even the obsessive collector in me feels the necessity to pick this is up.

If it was released for free I would probably say its brilliant, but pressing it to vinyl and hyping it with g_ess the son_ title hype I feel gives me (and us, as a community) free reign for calling this out as being fucking weak.

Guest bitroast

I'm re listening to the street halo release and that one is effortlessly good.

The new one being 'cheesy' isn't the problem. It just doesn't seem very musically strong.

To ease up my apologetic ranting I can completely understand people who don't like and/or don't get this new release. "Come Down To Us" gets a bit cheesy even for me. I'm still increasingly iffy of that track.

Sucker for "Hiders" though - the crescendo sounds more akin to a M83 or Grimes track than anything Burial has previously released. I kind of feel like he got bored of Metal Gear Solid and and now we're finding out he likes anime closing credit songs.

https://soundcloud.com/beriel4furtit2k13/rivel-beriel

this parody is actually better than the original beriel, oh well...

Yeah it's an oddly tame (yet appropriate) parody. Sounds more like Burial than the new Burial. Whereas I'm sure the new real Burial sounds (to many) closer to this:

Archived