IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

Its possible he has original copies, but its just as possible they've been lost or deteriorated over time. Given he never intended on releasing this, its not out of line to think he didn't take much care in preserving it. Its not something he felt that strongly about or it would have went into production.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well given that Richard was fond of using DAT tapes to archive stuff even as old as SAW 85-92 i highly doubt they've 'deteriorated'. If it was analog tape even the likelihood of this happening in a 20 year period would only happen if they were stored improperly.

I'm all for the idea, but part of me still thinks if Richard and Grant are now in the loop it might not be impossible to actually get the original masters straight from them.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

May have already been mentioned, but whoever does the ripping, can you not burn it to a CD with a hand numbered sleeve, thus giving it a bit more exclusivity? Distribute it out to all backers, plus also distribute the digitals? I would pay a few more quid.

Maybe get RDJ to sign them all if thats easier.

Edited by feltcher

what if it's shit?

That's fucking impossible.

Dunno . The leaked tracks are shit

What's not shit in AFX discography in your ears?

10% are genial, 20% fantastic, 10% more than good, 30% good and the rest are pure shit

So if it's only 30% that's shit, give some examples of it, like full releases if possible.

patternoverlap brought up this very important point, if we have Grant and Richard's approval now, why bother in any way with buying a ridiculously over inflated vinyl and then having it ripped by a professional? This either means that Grant and Richard are unwilling to provide the direct tape or digital masters, or they don't have them anymore? Both scenarios seem a tad strange. Anyone else find this odd? Makes me think this 'seller' has to be someone that is closely linked to them and they would prefer that whoever it is gets the asking price.

The mundane truth of it is Richard/Rephlex decided long ago not to release this album, and honestly, who knows how this was compiled? The tape masters may no longer exist, or might not be convenient to get to them (e.g.: storage, geographical location, etc.). I know at one time Richard told me the CAT002 DATs were in storage at his parents' house, far from where he was living at the time - that's probably the case here. I think they are just "going with the flow" of the whole thing since it's neat seeing the fans come together for something like this - remember, they are big music fans as much as we are, and are certainly not approaching this from a "business" standpoint.

Hey, Pitchfock.

Drukqs - 5.5

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/225-drukqs/

Maybe they should find their headlines elsewhere.

I listed all of their Aphex Twin reviews once, it was a nice gradual curve from 9s to that 5.5; to play devil's advocate the reception of it was mixed back in 2001.

They gave Analord and Tuss decent reviews, but the site has changed a lot since then.

Yeah, I don't know if historical context is a pardon for being utterly wrong about something. I mean. I'd be hard pressed to put a number under 7 or 8 on anything Aphex does, because the quality is always pretty stellar. From a technical standpoint at least. 5.5 means you think it's a piece of garbage. It's really bad.

Well, Pitchfork's staff and overall management/focus/whatever has changed a lot. The people who reviews RDJ up through The Tuss probably don't even work there anymore. The recent news blurb was likely written by some lowly paid freelance writer who copy and pasted info from FACT and has never heard anything beyond the Windowlicker mash-up on some Girl Talk album and Come To Daddy. Maybe.

well given that Richard was fond of using DAT tapes to archive stuff even as old as SAW 85-92 i highly doubt they've 'deteriorated'. If it was analog tape even the likelihood of this happening in a 15 year period would only happen if they were stored improperly.

ZoeB was saying in another thread that he recorded straight on cassette and other non-digital tape quite frequently, especially for SAW 85-92. I mean, I have no idea, but I think there's a good chance the tapes, whatever format they are, are lost or faulty.

Also, is the vinyl regular or acetate?

patternoverlap brought up this very important point, if we have Grant and Richard's approval now, why bother in any way with buying a ridiculously over inflated vinyl and then having it ripped by a professional? This either means that Grant and Richard are unwilling to provide the direct tape or digital masters, or they don't have them anymore? Both scenarios seem a tad strange. Anyone else find this odd? Makes me think this 'seller' has to be someone that is closely linked to them and they would prefer that whoever it is gets the asking price.

Lot's of people suspect it's Mike. He must be sending the kiddo to a Montessori school or something, or he needs new asymmetrical jumpers. (sorry mike I actually like your clothes) But yeah, they definitely want one of their pals to get some of that money they are after.

May have already been mentioned, but whoever does the ripping, can you not burn it to a CD with a hand numbered sleeve, thus giving it a bit more exclusivity? Distribute it out to all backers, plus also distribute the digitals? I would pay a few more quid.

Maybe get RDJ to sign them all if thats easier.

Nope, not getting into that game - that's distribution, shipping, etc. - not worth the hassle, IMO. and MegaLOL™ at Richard signing them! I'm sure he'd just love sitting around signing thousands of CDrs...

ok, will this seller let us reveal who they are or will they be forever shrouded in mystery? I think in part if we're all 'going in' so to speak on the purchase, the seller's should not remain anonymous.

Hey, Pitchfock.

Drukqs - 5.5

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/225-drukqs/

Maybe they should find their headlines elsewhere.

I listed all of their Aphex Twin reviews once, it was a nice gradual curve from 9s to that 5.5; to play devil's advocate the reception of it was mixed back in 2001.

They gave Analord and Tuss decent reviews, but the site has changed a lot since then.

Yeah, I don't know if historical context is a pardon for being utterly wrong about something. I mean. I'd be hard pressed to put a number under 7 or 8 on anything Aphex does, because the quality is always pretty stellar. From a technical standpoint at least. 5.5 means you think it's a piece of garbage. It's really bad.

Well, Pitchfork's staff and overall management/focus/whatever has changed a lot. The people who reviews RDJ up through The Tuss probably don't even work there anymore. The recent news blurb was likely written by some lowly paid freelance writer who copy and pasted info from FACT and has never heard anything beyond the Windowlicker mash-up on some Girl Talk album and Come To Daddy. Maybe.

well given that Richard was fond of using DAT tapes to archive stuff even as old as SAW 85-92 i highly doubt they've 'deteriorated'. If it was analog tape even the likelihood of this happening in a 15 year period would only happen if they were stored improperly.

ZoeB was saying in another thread that he recorded straight on cassette and other non-digital tape quite frequently, especially for SAW 85-92. I mean, I have no idea, but I think there's a good chance the tapes, whatever format they are, are lost or faulty.

They just gave the new SP album a 5.9 or something. That's not so hot. I guess if it doesn't have buzz it isn't relevant to the musical conversation.

Guest nick5745

What I really hope comes out of this is for Richard to give us an update on those 15+ unreleased albums he has completed and sitting around...I wonder why he is choosing not to release them, maybe divorce stuff still.

Edited by nick5745

Lot's of people suspect it's Mike. He must be sending the kiddo to a Montessori school or something, or he needs new asymmetrical jumpers. (sorry mike I actually like your clothes) But yeah, they definitely want one of their pals to get some of that money they are after.

I assure you, it's not Mike P/Richard/Grant/Cylob. Just a good friend of theirs, I imagine.

joyrex, is there any info you can share on how the analog-to-digital conversion will go, or who will be responsible for it?

has anyone contacted pbthal?

i'm going to guess vinyl, usually a test pressing refers to a vinyl. a reference lacquer would be the pre mother plating stage. If its an acetate that puts a whole new spin on things, because even if it's unplayed, due to it's age it could be considerably more degraded than one would expect from a brand new unplayed piece of vinyl.

ok, will this seller let us reveal who they are or will they be forever shrouded in mystery? I think in part if we're all 'going in' so to speak on the purchase, the seller's should not remain anonymous.

Some less than basic sleuthing will reveal his name (and please don't post it here) - I think you're being a bit pendantic over all this - don't spoil the fun!

Makes me think this 'seller' has to be someone that is closely linked to them and they would prefer that whoever it is gets the asking price.

That's my assumption as well. I'm sure people within the Rephlex circle aren't necessarily as affluent as others and still need to pay off gear debts. Or the braindance mob or something. :emotawesomepm9:

All involved (Richard, the seller, Grant) felt this was better than some collector getting it (and possibly leaking it onto the internet)..

Eh, how is this not the case now? It will get leaked as soon as the digitals go out, you do know that right?

i think the intention here was the make the music available to the biggest fans and possibly they'd respect the music enough not to leak it. to be perfectly honest, i don't see why someone would want to leak it? why not instead have more people contribute to the kickstarter by spreading the word so more money goes to richard and charity (thus showing richard how much people want to hear his music while doing a good cause for charity?)

i just checked a torrent site and someone has even put a request for this record (with a bounty attached) so the first person to leak it gets reimbursement for more downloads. than in itself counters encourage more people helping the kickstarter and instead, encouraging the leak- rather than the opposite which would've been more productive.

btw: for peeps that don't have credit cards. you can get pre paid credit cards (one time use) which you buy in cash and use specifically for something like this

joyrex, is there any info you can share on how the analog-to-digital conversion will go, or who will be responsible for it?

has anyone contacted pbthal?

See the FAQ - I just updated it with info I provided NME for the interview they did with me.

OK lemme get this straight.

First off this isn't gonna be shit is it? Maybe this is just an elaborate way for aphex to release an album....all planned! Nae

Facts.

We all chip in and buy this record.

Joyrex gets it ripped super badass quality, like neckbeard quality. I'm talking 32bit 192khz audiophile boner shit!

We get are digital vinyls and all float to nirvana in in a wash of early 90's techno goodness.

Sell vinyl off split 3 ways, 3rd goes to voted charity?

What about pre-paid credit cards - are those offered in Europe/ROW? That might be a solution (e.g.: Buy a prepaid card with enough GBP/EUR/YEN/[insert your currency here]. I would check with Kickstarter though (or if Nick from KS could chime in...?)

No, but seriously:

Why does such a huge website like Kickstarter, that depends on crowds giving money, doesn't accept PayPal? That is just beyond retarded.

not sure if you've already tried this, but Paypal provides free of charge 'debit cards' directly linked to your paypal account. If you request one now they'll probably have it in your mailbox by Friday

I was going to suggest this, but I was unsure if PayPal offered such a service in Europe/ROW...

Thanks for the heads up, I tried but yes, that's only for people in the US.

do they sell these anywhere near you?

VisaGC.png

I'm not sure if Kickstarter requires a billing address verification, sometimes places don't accept these if they have complex fraud protection.

Cheers, I've been looking around and these could work. I've found something even more temporary than a prepaid cc, called a Visa voucher. I think this might work, although I can't figure out wether Kickstarter should accept it. Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by Herr Jan

All involved (Richard, the seller, Grant) felt this was better than some collector getting it (and possibly leaking it onto the internet)..

Eh, how is this not the case now? It will get leaked as soon as the digitals go out, you do know that right?

i think the intention here was the make the music available to the biggest fans and possibly they'd respect the music enough not to leak it. to be perfectly honest, i don't see why someone would want to leak it? why not instead have more people contribute to the kickstarter by spreading the word so more money goes to richard and charity (thus showing richard how much people want to hear his music while doing a good cause for charity?)

i just checked a torrent site and someone has even put a request for this record (with a bounty attached) so the first person to leak it gets reimbursement for more downloads. than in itself counters encourage more people helping the kickstarter and instead, encouraging the leak- rather than the opposite which would've been more productive.

btw: for peeps that don't have credit cards. you can get pre paid credit cards (one time use) which you buy in cash and use specifically for something like this

That's sad (but not unexpected). The digital downloads will not be available until after the Ebay auction closes and payment is accepted (so the digital files being out there won't take the wind out of the sails of the auction), so hopefully that discourages anyone thinking to pirate it.

OK lemme get this straight.

First off this isn't gonna be shit is it? Maybe this is just an elaborate way for aphex to release an album....all planned! Nae

Facts.

We all chip in and buy this record.

Joyrex gets it ripped super badass quality, like neckbeard quality. I'm talking 32bit 192khz audiophile boner shit!

We get are digital vinyls and all float to nirvana in in a wash of early 90's techno goodness.

Sell vinyl off split 3 ways, 3rd goes to voted charity?

Yep - depending on how well the Ebay auction goes, you'll even get potentially a bit of your money back!

Some less than basic sleuthing will reveal his name (and please don't post it here) - I think you're being a bit pendantic over all this - don't spoil the fun!

I didn't realize asking pertinent questions could 'spoil the fun' my bad

I didn't realize asking pertinent questions could 'spoil the fun' my bad

It's P.P. Roy!

cat%20106.jpg