IGNORED

Kickstarter-contributor quotes for NME

Guest JoeMadden

1) What was your initial reaction upon hearing about the test-pressing? Excitement, scepticism?

Scepticism. Then the Kickstarter joke/idea actually got some traction with Joyrex's fervor, looking into it deeper and actually making it happen! Huge thanks to JR for this! It's pretty exciting to see this flourish the way it did despite the nagging idea that it would be so much simpler for Grant to just put it up on rephlex.com or bleep.com after the discogs sale.

2) What are you hoping for from the album itself?

Hard AFX acid with soft AFX acid. I love most of the Caustic Window compilation (On the Romance Tip, Cordialatron, The Garden of Linmiri) and I figure it will be similar with some Polygon Window type of tracks as well.

Name: Paul Goguen

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah damnit i wanted to tell him how pumped i was how i finally would be able to read super interesting things journalists have to say about this record. :crazy:

1. I remember hearing about another unreleased Caustic Window album, but I wasn't sure the ol' watmm would be able to pull this off, despite our uncanny ability to interview Autechre for like 4 whole days. I didn't think Aphex would let it happen.

2. The album will be a nice look at the early part of the aphex career. There will be unearthed gems, prank calls, braindancing, head boppin' n' booty shakin', high fives all around, and most of all, hope for this generation. Keep your eyes on the prize, stay in school and we shall overcome.

Name: The Winklevoss Twins

1) What was your initial reaction upon hearing about the test-pressing? Excitement, scepticism?

Excitement! My obsession of RDJ's entire discography - especially the rare, unreleased, and scrapped releases - is what got me involved with this forum to begin with. (Here's hoping for the Q-Chastic EP, Green Calx, Melodies From Mars, etc !)

I was surprised how this has gone down, never expected such an unusual yet transparent release. There's no bigger mystery on what happened to the masters (surely DAT or cassettes), considering the go ahead from Rephlex. It was said on chatmm that there were at least 10+ test pressings.

Hoping it will be more fleshed out than the Joyrex Tape that leaked, I enjoyed that but many of them were "sketches" not so much finished tracks. Hoping for a surprise like a more ambient or "mellow" techno track but expect mostly Caustic Window, Analogue Bubblebath EP era hardcore techno. Fingers crossed the vinyl is in decent shape too, although this is hardly going to be polished. It's going to not be groundbreaking, but surely enjoyable and interesting.

Can't wait to hear Muttley!

Curious what casual fans will think, some are surely expecting a dozen takes on Avril 14th or Flim or something.

A big meh. Not such a big RDJ fan. The outrageous price on Discogs was the thing that stirred me the most.

Nothing really, maybe will give it a listen when it eventually pops up on the internets.

Definite scepticism to start with - a few months earlier a similar frenzy occurred with an old Boards of Canada cassette which resulted in the tape disappearing from sale and ending up smashed -

(...)

I'm not buying from planet µ again

supa boc fan dis nut cool nonono!

:sleep:

1) What was your initial reaction upon hearing about the test-pressing?

RashingFrashingWrarraFrarraWrash

haha, classic muttley

1) What was your initial reaction upon hearing about the test-pressing?

k7Jcu7w.gif

1FNwGpz.gif

If this doesn't make the article I will be truly disappointed!

name: Karl Stumpkopf

Hey JoeMadden, thanks for stopping by.

At no point was I skeptical about the validity or quality of the album, as there's been rare & unreleased stuff floating around before that has been quite good. I was more skeptical about the crowd-funding, to be honest.

The reason I'm particulary excited about this one is that the other unreleased stuff that has surfaced wasn't Caustic Window - there are very few tracks under that moniker, or that time period altogether. Some of the tracks on the officially released compilation from -98 are brilliant, spiritually similar to the Universal Indicator & Analogue Bubblebath records which are among the tastier early gems by AFX in my opinion - predating psytrance and other aggressive, high tempo acid music by a long shot. The Caustic Window tracks have an unrestrained, raw hardcore sound that few other artists come close to, even today. It's timeless rave music.

On top of that, there are softer, playful and creative tracks with the sound that made many of us Aphex fans in the first place. What's not to like?

Going by what I've heard from other unreleased early tunes from the man, I think it's safe to say that aside from the novelty factor, it will be quite hit and miss for everyone but the most hardcore Aphex aficionado. Some unreleased tracks have been amazing, albeit unpolished, but that's a common theme in the early works and part of their appeal. I find it hard to believe there isn't at least one great track hidden on this album. If there's anything close to "Joyrex J5" or "Humanoid Must Not Escape" on this one, I will be blown away and this will be essential listening in the future.

1. I was a bit skeptical due to the seller being anonymous and the price of the record being so high. I understand selling a rare release of something, that has been previously shared, and expecting a lot of dough for it but to hold onto something not many people have heard and then to only want one other person to enjoy it seems very selfish. I am excited to hear the release so that is why I contributed money to the Kickstarter campaign. Any new/old unheard Aphex Twin is welcome into my life with open arms.

2. I hope to hear early 90's AFX that is as impressive as the rest of his work from that time period. It should be amazing. A lot of "hardcore" fans think that this is his best period of music production, so this should please them immensely. I love it all, from Didgeridoo to Analord, so I am damn well ready from some Aphex acid!

M C McPhail

Came to post here as entering the Aphex forum frightens me.

Musically I'm pretty indifferent about RDJ (he has his moments though), but have to admit I'm quite entranced by the spectacle of all this. Like who's going to be entrusted to rip it once it's acquired? What overkill audiophile sample rate will the real fans™ demand?? Assuming it'll be 24 bit of course :tongue: And who'll spooge the hardest when it's finally released?

If anyone wants any action on the above or other release-related happenings pm me for odds.

-Boobs Dobblin

Archived