IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

I’ve now listened to Syro twice with thought and played some random bits here and there, so here are my first impressions ( I guess that all has been already said so I’m not really bringing anything new to the table). I was expecting this to be more in the Tuss vein which was based on the preview snippets I had listened to. Yet it does contain some similarities but still there’s something different and new in it. I did find the overall tone of the whole album suprisingly mellow especially when compared to Drukqs which had so many edges that it could accidentally poke your eye when listening to it. I had similar feeling when I had my frenzy but brief affair with Autechre. Oversteps did have this soft tune in it when I was used to the soundscapes of EP7 or Draft 7.30. I can’t find similar tones from previous Aphex releases as Syro has. So this is something new to me. Feeling very sorry for those who cried after ‘’something new’’ and couldn’t find it here. And like most of Aphex albums the tracks will evolve when you get to know them better and get to deeper into their layers. I’ve only scraped the surface so can’t say anything infinite about the album yet.

As for the favorite tracks I must be little lame since I really can’t help but to love Minipops and PAPAT4, don’t care how many times they’ve been heard before. I don’t hear anything wrong with 180db, I think it’s great. Also loving how the Produk29 is subtly bowing towards BoC (no matter if it’s intentional or not). If Basefree is the most Aphex-like song from BoC then this is the most BoCish song from Aphex. But instead of children from Sesame Street you get women restroom chat. As great as aisatsana is, it’s somehow out of place as the final track. It sounds so much different from the other Syro tracks that it somehow emerges too much. It’s more obvious in the Japan version when Marchromt40a takes you back to Syroland after aisatsana which could be seen as the actual closure to the album. Could the difference feel more subtle if aisatsana was fair and square somewhere in the middle of the album and giving the whole thing a little breather before the other half? Dunno. Well it doesn’t bug me too much, just thought to mention it.

All in all Syro deserves a golden star from me.

Guest transmisiones ferox

What a nice feeling to find a Syro cd in the post waiting for me after my trip to Bulgaria :) here some thoughts

1 track is nice

2 meh too long, yeah don't care much about it

3 meh, feels cold and not honest, "leave this track out of the album" track

4 what's more interesting! some kind of futuristic space lounge

5 well is this a joke? I but yeah it's funny

6 yes this is starts to impress, I think that's Aphex Twin starts to warm up his frankenstein

8 Now you are totally in Aphex danger zone!

9 This is at his best, the fuckin drums at the end of the track is something crazy! fuckin fucked up pluto from disneyland banging the drums

10 Nice track not much to tell tho

11 This is great track...

12 And this piano track feels like a good ending, but nothing superbly, just a piece to calm down I guess, not very much to say

Nice album overall

yeah after sitting on syro, most of my mates dont really dig it.

But im waking up with the little melodies in my head, im walking down the street hearing those jungle breaks and funky basslines. Theres the one skip track but fuck album is killer. Really dig it, lives up to expectations and more so. the mixing and mastering is tight, nothing outta place.
I even had xmas eve as a skipper at the start but had the revelation the other day and have listened to it twice all the way through, twice

here is my take on circlonts

6575mv.jpg

your take on it is a poorly made drawing? interesting

there is some psychology behind this i am sure :watmm:

Edited by B1000

Finally listened to it all the way through

holy shit this is amazing. still need to digest

so far produk29 is standing out as my favorite along with syrobonkus mix

Edited by Zeffolia

Guest Chesney

I got the weird etched cards, sticker and credit card thing that no one seems to have piped up about. Not posting pics again though.

Edited by Chesney

I got the weird etched cards, sticker and credit card thing that no one seems to have piped up about. Not posting pics again though.

You mean these? I think you're just really lucky! Must be pretty rare (or fake :emotawesomepm9:) as you're still the only one here who has it.

2jtt9i.jpg

2heae4z.jpg

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Looks like some spilled coffee, a metal ruler, a scalpel and a copy of Photoshop are involved innit

I didn't get a card with my preorder, but maybe that's because my preorder arrived 10 days late and the cards were useless anyway?

Edited by jules

Guest Chesney

Some other must have them, just no watmmers. Have we a figure of watmmers against sales of the album?

Coffee, scalpel? Please. I spilt a circular gear list I'd think I was jesus.

Some other must have them, just no watmmers. Have we a figure of watmmers against sales of the album?

Coffee, scalpel? Please. I spilt a circular gear list I'd think I was jesus.

jesus wishes