IGNORED

How did you get into Ae?

Schlitze

Around the beginning of the 1990s I was already a Warp fan due to LFO's Frequencies.

Artificial Intelligence was released, and I proceeded to buy the rest of albums in the series as they came out.

I haven't stopped buying records from any of the artists featured on the series after that.

Autechre has always been the most important one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I was already into Aphex and Boards at the time, I also had borrowed a copy of Chiastic Slide but it didn’t grab me after one or two spins. Then around 2002 I was in Barcelona and saw a cheap Confield cd and thought I would take a punt and had no expectations. 

Upon cranking it up on the stereo I was completely blown away. I recall the moment when it clicked for me was during Pen Expers, the combination of the stuttering beats and the majestic synth melody that slowly reveals itself. I had never heard anything like this album, it sounded so otherworldly and unlike any other electronic music. 

I was hooked from then on and have gone onto collect all their records, although I gravitate more towards the the abstract output. 

In terms of seeing them, I convinced a friend to go with me to the Autechre curated ATP, which was a lot of fun and they did a Gescom set. Although I had to wait a couple more years to experience an AE set. 

• Like 2

I was an pre-internet 2.0 exchange student for a year in Mexico city, in 98, and my mate was shipping tapes once in awhile cos that's a cool thing to do. I've heard what I didn't know was Eutow on one of his tape, recorded from some Belgian radio show. It Blew my mind..., rewound it like a million times, to the point that all the trebles were scratched away from the distorted tape. Still sounded amazing, if not more. Found out a year later that it was Autechre. I must still have that tape somewhere, in one of those boxes that also typically contain old business cards, a cool ashtray from your first apartment, dry stationary you'll never use again, funky keychains tied together, ikea allen keys, and tiny knickknacks you keep for god knows what reasons.

• Like 4

Getting into Autechre was probably the single most significant music listening moment for me that's shaped my tastes so much ever since.  I used to stop by a cd store on the way home from university and check out whatever was on the listening station and was drawn to the black box artwork of LP5.  I gave it a listen and was confused but intrigued but not enough to buy it.  The next day i stopped by again and gave it another go and bought it. 

LP5 remains my fave Autechre album with Amber close behind then Chiastic Slide.  I'm pretty new here so explaining my autechre preferences overall i'd say I favour their output up until Confield the most but Elseq and NTS are right up there too.  I pretty much like all their output though.  They are my favourite band ? 

• Like 3

I'm 48, after Acid House (Baby Ford big love) there was an interlude with XL recordings, The Prodigy etc. 

Then there was the revelation called WARP. And LFO. I was crazy about them. I just bought all purple records. 

German Techno was stupid for me. GB was the holy island. 

On AI I got to know them and liked them. Not more. Incunabula was a wakeup call. Revelation 2. Also RDJ of course. I was crazy about Ventolin. 

Baby Ford btw. Oochy Koochy fat kick drums were special back then. Still listen to his old stuff. His S'Express rmx (Mantra for a state of mind) is awesome. Also Children of the revolution and Beach Bump - Colin Faver mix. Oops, offtopic.

A new aspect of WARP artists was, there was finally more interesting drum programming. Acid House was mostly monotonous in that regard. 

Oh I think I have a VHS recording of an earlier warp docu on mtv. I think it was wap100 time, not sure. 

Edited by WurstPLUS
  • Like 2

Welcome back

9 hours ago, WurstPLUS said:

Baby Ford btw. Oochy Koochy fat kick drums were special back then. Still listen to his old stuff. His S'Express rmx (Mantra for a state of mind) is awesome. Also Children of the revolution and Beach Bump - Colin Faver mix. Oops, offtopic.

It's rarely mentioned Baby Ford was far better after the minimalist turn, mid 90s to early 00s, pure class. Of acid house he wasn't a pioneer, just a competent import with pop sensibility. I think Ae mentioned Fordtrax (1988) among the favourite tracks on AI compilation debut, i would say that track's still non-cheesy unlike the rest of that era

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WurstPLUS said:

Oh I think I have a VHS recording of an earlier warp docu on mtv. I think it was wap100 time, not sure. 

I remember on a warp docu on the german Viva TV at the wap100 time. There are sections of it on YT.

6 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

Of acid house he wasn't a pioneer, just a competent import with pop sensibility.

Yeah that's right, no pioneer nor avantgarde... Stuff just worked for me. I have no knowledge about his music post (and including) Fordtrax. I think I tried it, but didn't like it.
I think he was a big one at that time, but is veeery rarely talked about today.

39 minutes ago, WurstPLUS said:

Yeah that's right, no pioneer nor avantgarde... Stuff just worked for me. I have no knowledge about his music post (and including) Fordtrax. I think I tried it, but didn't like it.

Ford's a treasure - there was a label called Insumision with nothing but Ford's releases, some great ones there like In Your Blood and Fetish; Monolense/Dead Eye on Ifach (run by Ford) was an underground hit, and there's of course Normal EP on RePHLeX; PAL SL is his other label - just to name a few. From the old ones Fordtrax (the track) is probably my biggest favourite, Oochy Coochy comes close second... but I digress.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WurstPLUS said:

Ae even called him the favourite electronic artist at the time of AI, so the link is there

spacer.png

They also invited him to their curated ATP festival in 2003.

Here's a couple of tracks they played in marathons (recommend this Sacred Machine LP)

This one was even confused by people as unreleased Ae in recent mixlr chat (low bitrate blurs sound design) and Sean Anthony had to specify

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

it was like 1998-99 and i was big into sonic youth, jim o'rourke (his interviews, name drops), free jazz / noise & various "indie" rocks. i was looking (at random) through the CDs at a local record store and spotted ep7. i purchased the album because it looked cool. around the same time, i met a girl named amber. she gave me a tape copy of Amber (the album), and i listened to it whilst walking around downtown, late one summer night, in salt lake city. that experience hooked me on it, but i didn't really tune back in to Ae until '04, when Draft came out. seeing sean booth's expression on the cover of WIRE in 2004, along with Xylin Room, 6IE.CR, Surripere and Reniform Puls transformed me from casual listener / dabbler into a moderate "head" ... IV VV IV VV VIII took me forever to like. Now, i think it's beautiful.

• Like 1

I wanna say it was winter of 97, and my friend owned some random Mike Paradinas stuff I didn’t have, so I asked him to make a mix tape of it for me. On one side it was a uziq mix, and the other side was some random add n to x and parts of Cichlisuite. Also melvins “at the stake” which he knew was my fav melvins. It was quite the mixtape! Anyways that was the first autechre I ever heard. I wanna say it was the first few songs from cichlisuite, like he just let that play at the end. Pencha is still probably my favorite track of theirs.

When I heard the Peel Sesh first at younger age I thougt like "this is pure breakbeats" and then I heard Gantz Graf and like "Okey no this is somehting else" but then Dropp saved me and in EP7 I got comfy because that shows more of Autechre then a friend sended me "Eggshell" And I was thinking god is this really Autechre? lol 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 2:10 PM, FJKMTL said:

Thanks to Spotify at the time, I guess one of the first songs I listen to was Rpeg... That song still blows me away!  Then I just start with the basics, and now I'm a big fan, One of my fav LP are Draft 7.30 and Chiastic Slide 

I distinctly remember the first time I heard Rpeg, I listened to a 30 second preview of it and thought that melody was one of the coolest things I'd ever heard and immediately bought the CD, then I kept listening to the preview clip of Rpeg over and over while I waited for it to ship. I don't think I've ever fallen for a track that quickly from just a short clip

• Like 1

That’s interesting because rpeg was probably the track that made me really, really like them too. It wasn’t the first autechre I heard, but it was definitely the “wow” song. The beginning is so good. Ep7 is just good in general, and more eclectic than anything else they have done, not that that makes it the best. I might consider it their best tho, idk, that’s always really hard for me with autechre. They are one of the only favorite bands I have where I can’t choose a favorite album.

• Like 1

Late 1996. A friend told me he'd picked up this wicked album, and he said I'd love it. Was transfixed as soon as Dael came on. I picked up Incunabula and Amber shortly after, and slowly got the EPs I could find.

I bought my first copy of the Wire with the interview around the Chiastic Slide release, and thus began 23 years of constantly begin on the alert for news of new releases. 

• Like 1

For me I am pretty sure it started with the Second Bad Vilbel video, but I think I had seen their name a few times in magazines or whatever. It would have been late 90s and I think they were getting their name out a bit at that time, getting signed to Nothing, and there was the Pi soundtrack as well.  It was rare to see videos like that on MuchMusic at the time but there was a once a week special that would play electronic music, and I'd make a point of catching it and would record the tunes onto cassette lol. So I had the abbreviated version of SBV recorded badly on a tape. I eventually bought Incunabula, knowing it would already be a little dated-sounding, and felt kinda neutral about it, but then a few months later I picked up LP5 and it blew my mind. Between I think late 1999 and 2003 I collected everything they had on CD in whatever order I could find them, sometimes paying ridiculous prices to get them shipped to my small town. From Draft onwards I waited religiously for each new release (and started lurking here around Quaristice time).

• Like 3