IGNORED

Favourite YouTube Videos

Joyrex

double fine's 12+ hour doco series is free on youtube.

goes from them putting up the kickstarter pledge asking for $400,000 to make ' classic adventure game', getting $3 million, feeling free and liberated to make whatever game they can imagine, making a project too big and ambitious for the team to handle, company almost crashing into bankruptcy.. spoilers, and finally releasing the game.

pretty insightful 3-year look into gross side of game dev.

cheers for posting! Having been a huge point+click game fan growing up I was really excited for this when this all started.....but I think I only spent 20minutes playing it when it came out, then never had the urge to go back to it

how did you find it? were most people happy with it or disappointed?

Looking forward to watching this series now to get the inside scoop - but part of me wonders if the over-pay of support was detrimental to the final product? Isn't this what always happens, money doesn't necessarily = good final product. Usually it means an over cooked, over stuffed piece of meat.

Guest bitroast

oh man. i think they're happy with it in the end but they're pretty honest about the flaws. i think the biggest problem from the game came from them pitching the project as an adventure game and then jumping into production with 3million under their belt, before they (tim schafer) really had a clear idea of what direction to take the game. or what the game was going to be. it seemed a bit more, " it will come to me " or, "if we hire really fantastic artists, their art will inspire me to write the story" kind of thing. they (again, tim) definitely aimed VERY high once the budget went from 300,000 to 3million. it's kind of interesting seeing how they went from little budget to big budget and still managed to go OVER budget, but the documentary gives a pretty clear picture on how it happens.

another thing worth noting is, from episode .. 9 or 10 onwards. once they ship Part 1. they give a pretty clear warning at start that it will go into spoilers for Part 1.

so if you plan on playing the game at all and watching the doco, the doco does go into spoiler territory, but also gives the warning. (at this point i was enjoying the doco enough that i was more interested in finishing that as opposed to starting and finishing the game).

innnnteresting

yea, as much as I would love to in an ideal world - i can't see myself playing though the full game anytime soon, so shall defo enjoy watching these throughout

(on a side note - I guess when given 3mill of other peoples moneies - you gotta put it to work somehow - even if he had had a simple idea which would have only needed 30,000, he couldn't really not use the rest of the cash in some way)

i did not realise that there was this going on. Been watching MJ alive vids for a few mins now, the dave dave thing isn't that convincing (have not bothered to look into whom dave dave is), but that white haired dude at the memorial and other stuff maybe, i don't know, the family smiling at the memorial, could just be that they're sociopaths, the body being buried after 70 days, moving to bahrain well i thought he owed that prince 10 million dollars or something. nwae, the obligatory ... [-; ... sup michael

i did not realise that there was this going on. Been watching MJ alive vids for a few mins now, the dave dave thing isn't that convincing (have not bothered to look into whom dave dave is), but that white haired dude at the memorial and other stuff maybe, i don't know, the family smiling at the memorial, could just be that they're sociopaths, the body being buried after 70 days, moving to bahrain well i thought he owed that prince 10 million dollars or something. nwae, the obligatory ... [-; ... sup michael

I think that maybe the Dave Dave on Larry King was Michael, and his suit was like that (wide with broaden shoulders) to allow some kind of prostetic fake arms anexed to imitate the burned hands of David Rothenberg