16 hours ago, BobDobalina said:

My Brother in Christ you have cut to the heart of it

As a fellow Gandolfini you might enjoy this one also:

Poor Vito.

Also...

"Houa"

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Milwaukeeeee said:

studio i worked at in san diego was in a building that shared space w/a voice over studio where tony robbins recorded all his tapes. they duplicated them as well for him to sell. he's a giant. like huge.. duck to enter the door kind of tall. every day he arrived he had a different vehicle. one day a stupid hummer, next day one of those motorcycles that has a V8 as an engine.. another day a porsche.. which was kinda funny because of how huge he is. 

he's treated like a celebrity and has handlers and assistants etc.  it was kinda ridiculous. 

i remember several years ago he had a show that last a few episodes.. on one of the major networks. it was like a "we're gonna fix your life after your tragic events" and the 1st episode was about a couple at their wedding reception and the guy in some spirit of stupid happiness (alcohol) jumped off a 2nd story balcony into a pool and broke his neck and became a quadriplegic from neck down no movement. had the breathing tube etc.  couldn't do anything for himself and these newly weds spent their honeymoon in a hospital trying to figure out their future. 

tony robbins' solution was so totally stupid and oprah-like. throw money at the problem.. make them cry on camera and that was that. i think there were a couple more episodes but i didn't watch. that first episode was so majorly depressing and sad. new wife has instant adult baby to care for and everything sucked. nothing robbins could say was going to help. 

i've never listened to any of his tapes or whatever. only.. saw him a few times recording them. it was pretty weird for a minute and was obvious how that world worked.. or part of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

studio i worked at in san diego was in a building that shared space w/a voice over studio where tony robbins recorded all his tapes. they duplicated them as well for him to sell. he's a giant. like huge.. duck to enter the door kind of tall. every day he arrived he had a different vehicle. one day a stupid hummer, next day one of those motorcycles that has a V8 as an engine.. another day a porsche.. which was kinda funny because of how huge he is. 

he's treated like a celebrity and has handlers and assistants etc.  it was kinda ridiculous. 

i remember several years ago he had a show that last a few episodes.. on one of the major networks. it was like a "we're gonna fix your life after your tragic events" and the 1st episode was about a couple at their wedding reception and the guy in some spirit of stupid happiness (alcohol) jumped off a 2nd story balcony into a pool and broke his neck and became a quadriplegic from neck down no movement. had the breathing tube etc.  couldn't do anything for himself and these newly weds spent their honeymoon in a hospital trying to figure out their future. 

tony robbins' solution was so totally stupid and oprah-like. throw money at the problem.. make them cry on camera and that was that. i think there were a couple more episodes but i didn't watch. that first episode was so majorly depressing and sad. new wife has instant adult baby to care for and everything sucked. nothing robbins could say was going to help. 

i've never listened to any of his tapes or whatever. only.. saw him a few times recording them. it was pretty weird for a minute and was obvious how that world worked.. or part of it. 

no one is perfect or a saint, the point is some of what he says is true and not so obvious for a lot of people, and at least the guy has an apparent sincere disposition to help others despite the fake drama behind

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Milwaukeeeee said:

no one is perfect or a saint, the point is some of what he says is true and not so obvious for a lot of people, and at least the guy has an apparent sincere disposition to help others despite the fake drama behind

even if everything is stone cold hard scientific infallible objective reality, it's up to the abilities of the mind of the individual to perceive it, and ultimately a drastically simplified model arrives as a coded symbolized description in that individual's mind, which is recalled by the process of imagination. At the end of the day everything is a story, (i.e. myth) and if Tony wants to help a lot of people he has to create a relatable presentation of some story and provide ways to respond to such a story. Is his spiel, his song, going to be a chart breaking one every time? Maybe not, but he's a performing artist just the same. Charlatan, sorcerer, doesn't matter. He's an encouraging fellow... or nephilim, either way ?

• Farnsworth 2

1 hour ago, Milwaukeeeee said:

i can't speak to his motives for anything he does. i don't know him. no reason to think he is being malicious or a total grifter, which much of self help culture is. the only thing i experienced was the general "really important guy is coming to the studio today" type shit. he wasn't an asshole or anything like that. he kind of breezed in and then out when he was done. didn't really stop to chat w/anyone. had "very important person things to do" which is probably true since ya know.. that shit is a hustle. 

as for the show.. i have no idea how sincere or not that whole thing was.. i mean.. when someone wants to go on TV with things like that it's hard not to question their motives.. i know that's how the money aspect of those things happens.. TV brings in the big budget to do stuff for paralyzed people.. i mean.. he maybe could've done it in another way if he wanted to help those people but the show was his baby and was mostly his vehicle for himself and his own ideas.. is how that world is i guess. 

i don't think they'll do a "behind the bastards" episode about him or anything like that. he's not killing babies like homeopathic medicine or promoting white supremacy and genocide or whatever. 

if there's a heaven he's as much chance getting in as the rest of us..  shrug.

i have a hard time trusting this. maybe it's just me... 

Edited by ignatius
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rek said:

even if everything is stone cold hard scientific infallible objective reality, it's up to the abilities of the mind of the individual to perceive it, and ultimately a drastically simplified model arrives as a coded symbolized description in that individual's mind, which is recalled by the process of imagination. At the end of the day everything is a story, (i.e. myth) and if Tony wants to help a lot of people he has to create a relatable presentation of some story and provide ways to respond to such a story. Is his spiel, his song, going to be a chart breaking one every time? Maybe not, but he's a performing artist just the same. Charlatan, sorcerer, doesn't matter. He's an encouraging fellow... or nephilim, either way ?

Guys I don't give a damn if Tony is a millionare, an actor or grand khali cousin. I was interested in the message. Forget the character, there are these truths that he and other people, philosophers, etc say... which is that focus, attention or awareness of something is the primary thing, the base, being present in the moment... the reality it is not the story in our minds, we observe first theses autocreated stories. The meaning, the story is what we construct and comes after the awareness, after the perception, and in that creation mostly takes part the past data and analysis of our own life inner perceptions and experiences, and then the final step is the decision of what to do. 1º Emotional/aka awareness, desires, life force - 2º mental/meaning, planing - 3º physical action. It is the course of action of this human machine. The problem is the mind hijaks the awareness with the prejudice reactive learned patterns, it decieves the focus of attention, creates negative imagination and suffering about everything, ourselves the outcomes etc, so it detriments both awareness and physical action becuase it identifies with a negative autocreated film from the past or from the future. That is the importance of the message, not Tony being a mainstream coach

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 8:17 PM, cloud capture said:

shoegaze is eternal. fuck that guy

19 hours ago, ignatius said:

oddly enough, i also worked (interned) at a studio where tony robbins did some recording. This was in SF around 2009. He was nice enough but he did come in with a big group of handlers. What I remember from it was him saying some stuff, pausing not sure what to say and then a bunch of his people yelling various things at him to say and then he would resume and keep going.  I've never actually listened to him outside of that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exitonly said:

shoegaze is eternal. fuck that guy

oddly enough, i also worked (interned) at a studio where tony robbins did some recording. This was in SF around 2009. He was nice enough but he did come in with a big group of handlers. What I remember from it was him saying some stuff, pausing not sure what to say and then a bunch of his people yelling various things at him to say and then he would resume and keep going.  I've never actually listened to him outside of that.

it has to be a strange thing to try and sustain throughout a lifetime. can't imagine.  i'm sure he's also like a life coach one one one to some wealthy people and CEOs etc. people who go to him for advice when they have problems.. like the consigliere in the godfather. 

i'd never heard him speak outside of the studio interaction either. the handlers.. i think there were at least 3 + 1 who was like the runner/intern or something. 

the day he came in on the motorcycle.. it was a thing like this.. actually fit him pretty well because he so tall but V8 motorcycle is a particular type of over the top custom thing that seems very gear head oriented. it was surreal. 

vShUybn.jpg