IGNORED

elseq 1-5

auxien

*reads past sweepstakes bickering*

Haha, didn't mean it as a bicker, more like... hey guys, stop and smell the roses. Seems a bit of a waste not to use this thread to bask in the juicy vibes together.

I saw Stephan Mathieu rate this release with a 2 star out of 5 on discogs, 4 for the stuff and minus 2 coz of "the joke that is 24-bit version". Wonder what he meant (i prefer listening to 128 mp3 since it was my peak days habit and i never move on)

considering he sells his own stuff in 24 bit as well it's probably not about the "humans can't tell difference anyway" thing. anyhow i don't quite get the point, it's like "wagner yeah, 5 points for the music, -3 because he's an antisemite."

Your example isn't really comparable, discogs is the place for finding out about cut quality as much as about music. Sure there could be a Holocaust music lovers site, where they rate nazi loyalty level. Needless to say, rating habits are differ, some are giving 1-stars to the best stuff and don't give much of a fuck, at least Mathieu left a note.

So what's wrong with 24-bit version then? Any non-humans?

He's on same path now. He is going to release 12 CDs of his music and raised 12K euros for it via kickstarter.

well, in his own words...

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/05/hours-and-hours-and-hours-of-autechre/#comment-2691309030

Lol that guy. I checked his bandcamp and realized I've come across his tunes before. I didn't come across anything worth hearing again, but I don't go for those super-sound-design-y types of musicians usually.

I love his music a lot. Especially his 2008 RADIOLAND. His recent Before Nostromo is cool too. Check Stasis 5 (Ripley's Dream) — really deep shit.

Guest bitroast

the whole pricing discussion is so weird.

it reminds me of this talk i saw at pax, where the vlambeer guy (if you pay any attention to game dev networks u know who im talking about) was giving off the opinion that paying attention to price trends is a mistake. cos prices have the tendency to compete against each other and get lower and lower to be competitive. and it creates this weird precedent of needing to charge a certain amount of money for something, which you spent a ridiculous amount of time on. its like, you make a game that lasts ~1 hour to play, but you spend year+ working on it. market says you have to charge a small amount because of the length of the game or the market its on ( ie. console or mobile... physical or download etc etcetc). but ultimately, you have to charge what you think the product is worth.

if autechre are releasing a 5 part album that goes for 4 hours, and is perhaps being targeted more directly at the fans ( ie. less promotion, nichey long length of release scaring away more casual listeners), then it only makes sense for them to charge they think is appropriate, and to not follow any existing precedent. like, even if there WAS a precedent for charging digital only 4 hour/5 part albums, autechre are in no position to blindly follow it just because other people are charging a low value amount. artists have the right to charge whatever the fuck they see fit for their work.

I saw Stephan Mathieu rate this release with a 2 star out of 5 on discogs, 4 for the stuff and minus 2 coz of "the joke that is 24-bit version". Wonder what he meant (i prefer listening to 128 mp3 since it was my peak days habit and i never move on)

considering he sells his own stuff in 24 bit as well it's probably not about the "humans can't tell difference anyway" thing. anyhow i don't quite get the point, it's like "wagner yeah, 5 points for the music, -3 because he's an antisemite."

Your example isn't really comparable, discogs is the place for finding out about cut quality as much as about music. Sure there could be a Holocaust music lovers site, where they rate nazi loyalty level. Needless to say, rating habits are differ, some are giving 1-stars to the best stuff and don't give much of a fuck, at least Mathieu left a note.

So what's wrong with 24-bit version then? Any non-humans?

He's on same path now. He is going to release 12 CDs of his music and raised 12K euros for it via kickstarter.

well, in his own words...

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/05/hours-and-hours-and-hours-of-autechre/#comment-2691309030

he's stupid but he thinks he's smart.

and no wonder his music sucks

I don't really like mesh cereal tbh... there's something annoying about that distorted filter resonance or whatever that is throughout the track imo...

Edited by Guest

he's stupid but he thinks he's smart.

and no wonder his music sucks

image.png

okokokok i know///...i don't know the guy but from his tweets i concluded that he's not really stupid ok (as in lowIQ stupid) but his obsession with techinical issues makes him overly rigid (and/or vice versa) so he can easily lose a perspective. the obsessivness with technical issues (and rigidness in general) could be a result of emotional immaturity (=/= childishness (see: neurosis and "logical man")) and in his case i'd add underdeveloped lateral horizon (not creative much) + jealousy...and all that can in some cases make him practically stupid even tho his iq can be very high. >> like when an intelligent person doesn't get a joke cause of poor sense of humor.

p.s. maybe i'm just projecting my own unwanted characteristics... also possible (just imo less probable)

EDIT: stephan, leave ae alone!

crocker2007.jpg

Edited by xox

it reminds me of this talk i saw at pax, where the vlambeer guy (if you pay any attention to game dev networks u know who im talking about) was giving off the opinion that paying attention to price trends is a mistake. cos prices have the tendency to compete against each other and get lower and lower to be competitive. and it creates this weird precedent of needing to charge a certain amount of money for something, which you spent a ridiculous amount of time on. its like, you make a game that lasts ~1 hour to play, but you spend year+ working on it. market says you have to charge a small amount because of the length of the game or the market its on ( ie. console or mobile... physical or download etc etcetc). but ultimately, you have to charge what you think the product is worth.

if autechre are releasing a 5 part album that goes for 4 hours, and is perhaps being targeted more directly at the fans ( ie. less promotion, nichey long length of release scaring away more casual listeners), then it only makes sense for them to charge they think is appropriate, and to not follow any existing precedent. like, even if there WAS a precedent for charging digital only 4 hour/5 part albums, autechre are in no position to blindly follow it just because other people are charging a low value amount. artists have the right to charge whatever the fuck they see fit for their work.

this is an interesting post, thanks.

the stephan mathieu comments are confusing to me. so he's saying that the price is fine if it weren't for the fact that the album is badly produced and sounds brickwalled and he has detected clipping?

perhaps i'm a mere philistine but i'm not hearing that. it's definitely a loud release but imo sounds as it should, viz, hard and banging like an ae record ought to. i wish there was a new aaa so we could ask them about this.........

i'm a fan of mathieu' music as well, i've bought everything of his since "radioland" with its questionably green plastic case (lol). tbh i'm surprised he's into autechre at all and even more surprised he's bashing their production. but i suppose he does hang with a number of composers who are also mastering engineers.

i'm totally imagining him playing some soft, droning ambient piece and then suddenly ae busting through the ceiling and blasting feed1

but they don't have a really clear idea on how many copies of this will be sold, so it's still pretty arbitrary. i guess they expect it to sell less than regular albums through warp with all the promotion and stuff so the price is higher, but then the burden on a single fan is bigger.

it seems to me like as a professional he's making a bit of a crusade out of a pet peeve. his nostromo stuff sounds very cool!

personally i don't get it either but my eardums are covered in callus anyway from a wasted youth of metal and noise musics... 95% i can't tell mp3 from lossless. i just bought the 24 bits because i can. anyway elseq sounds perfect to me. like it's really jumping out the speakers, 3 fucking D. listening to exai is like looking through a window in comparison.

AE_live and elseq seem to stem from a different set-up than Exai.

More as if they were done completely within one system or patch - didn't sean hint at the process in one of the recent interviews?

Sounds to me like the product of a single form of synthesis (?) with very elaborate parameter-controlling /sequencing/ modulating whereas Exai sounds to me more varied in terms of timbres/ tonal colours, more as if they combined different sources back then.

With these new ones they seem to achieve a similar result but from just one source if that makes any sense...

btw - just find it interesting, not judging the quality of either release as i love all of 'em!

the stephan mathieu comments are confusing to me. so he's saying that the price is fine if it weren't for the fact that the album is badly produced and sounds brickwalled and he has detected clipping?

I think he's complaining about the sample rate being too low rather than truncating the waveform (assuming we're talking about the comment that says "The fact that this stuff has been brick-walled by the limitations of the 44.1k rate has it sound heavily clipped. So, if your instruments will refuse to stop sounding at 22k, record at 96kHz, or use an EQ. Well, use an EQ and your audio may not sound as you want it to sound anymore. In case you, foljs have digested your Helmholtz you must have heard about harmonics and how they enhance each other. Why would harmonics outside the human hearing range not affect the stuff we can clearly hear?"). It sounds to me like he's heard the terms "brick-walled" and "clipped" and doesn't know what they mean but is trying to sound like he does by dropping them into a rant about sample rate. So I'm also rather confused to learn that this guy is apparently a musician.

i agree that despite the different styles it somehow sounds like from one sonic cloth, similar to lp5. exai was more eclectic / varicolored.

edit: @NED

Edited by jaderpansen