IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

So GAS free I passed on a $50 TX81z and multiple short-run kits and things that I was planning to pick up when I had the money but don't feel any need to get now that it's pay time for this season's editing work and I actually have the money.  Feels good.

I might end up having to get one of those cheap, fretless, electric bass ukuleles from Rondo because I'm probably going to be doing a production project for someone this winter that will require me to do a lot of overdubs but I sold my bass years ago and don't want to put the money or space in to getting another one.  A bass uke with some EQ an compression through my old Ampeg should get me close enough of that Vox archtop, short scale bass tone that I like (and I've played and even owned enough Rondo stuff that I'm more than confident it will be good enough) but if this project doesn't pan out I'm not going to get one, it's a matter of need rather than GAS.

Been really enjoying using the Microtonic VST, has anyone else used it? I found it it's approach to drum synthesis really intuitive, easy to wrap my head around but also full of potential. Isthere anyone out there who owns that machinedrum or a Rytm who can tell me if the synthesis engines for either of those machines are as intuitive and versatile as microtonic? not super into the 909 sounds or traditional drum sounds really looking for a more experimental approach although I'm not averse to using classic drum sounds.. and that's with the maker tonic seems great at. The thing is, it's also greatfor experimental techniques. I'm also really interested in polyrhythms, and I don't know if machine gun is capable of this, but it's not a dealbreaker.

i've used microtonic and i think it's really great. you can do much more with it than it looks on first. it was my fav soft drummachine and i stopped using it only after i got a machinedrum which feels like mc but it's a much much more capable machine. what i especijally like on mc is the export midi function, or you can just drag and drop the patter on a midi track in daw.

i made a techno track with some drum variations with mc: 

https://soundcloud.com/notein/battow

Been really enjoying using the Microtonic VST, has anyone else used it? I found it it's approach to drum synthesis really intuitive, easy to wrap my head around but also full of potential. Isthere anyone out there who owns that machinedrum or a Rytm who can tell me if the synthesis engines for either of those machines are as intuitive and versatile as microtonic? not super into the 909 sounds or traditional drum sounds really looking for a more experimental approach although I'm not averse to using classic drum sounds.. and that's with the maker tonic seems great at. The thing is, it's also greatfor experimental techniques. I'm also really interested in polyrhythms, and I don't know if machine gun is capable of this, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Microtonic is fun, the Elektrons go way deeper. There's a learning curve but once you get your head around the architecture they're very intuitive.

Here's some spliced together bits of rytm jamming - levels are all over the shop and nothing is produced but will give you an idea of the timbre of the thing. There's some other sound sources involved but not much (and not used percussively) - last 3mins are definitely rytm only.

Polyrythms are possible in Elektron sequencers but in a 'work-around' sorta way (or easily programmed from a DAW).

Guest Chesney

80% of my percussion is machinedrum (UW sample version), it is my favourite elektron box, my go to. Although I have never used microtonic sorry.

Holy shit guys, both of those tracks are mad. Love it. Definitely seeing the versatility shine in the Rytm, I'd be interested to hear some MachineDrum only tracks in that same genre/feel to get an idea of that too, but the rytm is looking pretty good to me. Hm. Thank you. I've really enjoyed getting unorthodox sounds out of the microtonic, so if you have the opinion that machinedrum and rytym are just as/more flexible than microtonic in terms of sound synthesis then damn, I'm in.

I'm definitely looking for something that I can push into the range of doing 80-100% of a track in-the-box. I like to see how much I can squeeze out of Microtonic and have gotten good results.

Edited by drukqs

Guest Chesney

MD is 12bit so it has it's own vibe for sure. I think it's why I prefer using it anything else. It does lack a few tricks that the new elektrons have but I think it's insane IDMness makes up for it in spades. Although, I do know people that have felt the opposite of me or even not even been fussed about it. I guess it's just not a typical drum machine, because it's standard sounds are just ok, in fact all of the elektrons sounds are just ok regarding raw waves etc.

If you want an idea of what the MD can do drukqs, every track with beats on my link is mostly MD with a bit of the UP K2x. There are some MD only jams on my soundcloud still I'm pretty sure.

oh, and yeah, theres some banging stuff on there brian dance, nice one.

^ damn, that sounds great. I need to spend a good amount of time designing patches on my SY22.

You can definitely make full tracks on either.

but then you'll want another elektron after a year or so.. I've seen it happen to so many people (including myself :P)

I've settled on MnM+OT for now. I still haven't used them together though. And I'm constantly battling the desire to get an A4.

Edited by modey

Microtonic is fun, the Elektrons go way deeper. There's a learning curve but once you get your head around the architecture they're very intuitive.

Here's some spliced together bits of rytm jamming - levels are all over the shop and nothing is produced but will give you an idea of the timbre of the thing. There's some other sound sources involved but not much (and not used percussively) - last 3mins are definitely rytm only.

Polyrythms are possible in Elektron sequencers but in a 'work-around' sorta way (or easily programmed from a DAW).

I've never looked at Microtonic so I dunno how it compares, but I can second Rytm being plenty deep. Polyrhythms/polymetrics are relatively easy to set up and play, though I wouldn't suggest doing it in a live situation, it does take a bit of menu dving but isn't crazy one you learn how. That goes for much of Elektron stuff, actually: once you learn the method and 'get' it, it's nothing crazy. 

Rytm can make plenty of unique sounds, but that's not what it's designed for at all. Machinedrum/Monomachine/A4 would be much better suited for you if you're into designing sounds in general, from scratch. Rytm is a great drum machine, first and foremost.

Brian's got lots of good Rytm sounds in that bit he linked. Here's a bit more if you want to hear what it's capable of: https://tsrono.bandcamp.com/album/erythric-limnes

All drums on that album are Rytm. First two tracks are entirely Rytm, though there's a couple of samples used (within Rytm) as well. Track 1's melody plinking and track 2's bass/melody (both instances come in around halfway through each track) are pure Rytm analog synthesis.

If you have any more specific questions in regards to Rytm let me know here or PM and I'll be glad to answer best I can :)

Lately I've been wanting to complete a through zero fm setup with a dixie2 + rubicon + ultra fold. So far I got the dixie2.

I've settled on MnM+OT for now. I still haven't used them together though. And I'm constantly battling the desire to get an A4.

lol, same on all this. I did use the two together for a couple tracks during the last WeeklyBeats, but I think on one track the OT was just doing drums, and on another I had the MnM just doing some silly ambient thing. The two together are way too deep. 

Guest Chesney

I'd sell the OT if I had to but never the A4, it's a glorious machine. They are both ugly as fuck though. it's my second favourite machine.

The league stands like this, Ha: MD, A4, Heat, MnM, OT. Even though I don't own the Rytm, i'd put it last as when I had a go I wasn't into the menu's as much and didn't feel it brought enough to the table for me to bother with when the MD can cover most things.

Edited by Chesney

I told myself I don't need any new gear, but you keep making me long for the MD, Chesney! :) It's the only thing I keep looking up once in a while. I really want some deeper hardware drum synthesis.

Edited by Guest

Guest Chesney

haha, sorry!

They are cheap right now as the hype is around the new Mk2's so catch an MD before they get cool again. Only the UWmk2 though mind. The user samples turn it from a drum machine to a complete monster.

oh, i'm hyping, sorry again ;)

Yeah the A4 MkII looks great too. At first I didn't like the look of these new machines and was annoyed that they'd changed the form factor. But then I noticed that they doubled the size of the screen as well and also added CV inputs, and made the keyboard buttons bigger. And the tilt is growing on me too, especially since I throw my current Elektrons on a stand to give them some tilt anyway.

Yeah the A4 MkII looks great too. At first I didn't like the look of these new machines and was annoyed that they'd changed the form factor. But then I noticed that they doubled the size of the screen as well and also added CV inputs, and made the keyboard buttons bigger. And the tilt is growing on me too, especially since I throw my current Elektrons on a stand to give them some tilt anyway.

I really like the new form factor but it looks much less practical to gig/travel with so I'm sticking with my mk1s for now.

:cry:  i sold my beloved vermona retroverb lancet cause i needed new monitors. neumann kh120a are on the way  :biggrin:    :sorcerer:   :music:   :gamer:  :nyan:  :yeah:  :catsupine:  :catbleed:   :catghost:

A more sensible, rational purchase. :)

:cry:  i sold my beloved vermona retroverb lancet cause i needed new monitors. neumann kh120a are on the way  :biggrin:    :sorcerer:   :music:   :gamer:  :nyan:  :yeah:  :catsupine:  :catbleed:   :catghost:

A more sensible, rational purchase. :)

yes, i agree! i've been using yamaha hs50m for tooooo long which are pure piece of shit imo. i couldn't judge anything on them. they're only good for telling you if something sounds abrasive or not. ppl say they're good for placing vox in a mix. also, soon im gonna move to my new apartment in which im gonna use a really small room as my studio so i need something that has ports on the front and that has better built-in room compensation eqs

...but the lancet!  it's such a great little box. i hope i'll have it again one day

Another cheap Behringer Tweakalizer showed up in my bay alerts today and I didn't seriously consider it but I won't deny that the part of me that loves any piece of gear that didn't catch on yearned for it a bit.