IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

I've never looked at Microtonic so I dunno how it compares, but I can second Rytm being plenty deep. Polyrhythms/polymetrics are relatively easy to set up and play, though I wouldn't suggest doing it in a live situation, it does take a bit of menu dving but isn't crazy one you learn how. That goes for much of Elektron stuff, actually: once you learn the method and 'get' it, it's nothing crazy.

Rytm can make plenty of unique sounds, but that's not what it's designed for at all. Machinedrum/Monomachine/A4 would be much better suited for you if you're into designing sounds in general, from scratch. Rytm is a great drum machine, first and foremost.

Brian's got lots of good Rytm sounds in that bit he linked. Here's a bit more if you want to hear what it's capable of: https://tsrono.bandcamp.com/album/erythric-limnes

All drums on that album are Rytm. First two tracks are entirely Rytm, though there's a couple of samples used (within Rytm) as well. Track 1's melody plinking and track 2's bass/melody (both instances come in around halfway through each track) are pure Rytm analog synthesis.

If you have any more specific questions in regards to Rytm let me know here or PM and I'll be glad to answer best I can :)

Gee, Auxien, you're so damn helpful as always :blush:

That's a seriously impressive album you posted, thank you for the insight and the amazing tunes, I'm really really loving it. Trying to decide between Rytm and Machinedrum. Might just go with Machinedrum because I'm poor but I think I see some Elektron in my future. Either that or an Octatrack, I could see layering samples with the right timbres in a percussion-synthesis-minded way, if that makes sense. I like samples, organic sounds like wood, birds, and forest noises. This far in my process I've been keen to using an almost equal mix of samples and synthesis, so I can see myself getting a MD or Rytm and getting an Octa on top of that. Like a spoiled brat child I am....

Just out of curiosity, what was your set up for that album? You say it's all hardware and live, I'm really curious to know how you put all that together! Or if you're not keen on talking shop too much, I'm just interested in the thought process itself.

Edited by drukqs

I've never looked at Microtonic so I dunno how it compares, but I can second Rytm being plenty deep. Polyrhythms/polymetrics are relatively easy to set up and play, though I wouldn't suggest doing it in a live situation, it does take a bit of menu dving but isn't crazy one you learn how. That goes for much of Elektron stuff, actually: once you learn the method and 'get' it, it's nothing crazy.

Rytm can make plenty of unique sounds, but that's not what it's designed for at all. Machinedrum/Monomachine/A4 would be much better suited for you if you're into designing sounds in general, from scratch. Rytm is a great drum machine, first and foremost.

Brian's got lots of good Rytm sounds in that bit he linked. Here's a bit more if you want to hear what it's capable of: https://tsrono.bandcamp.com/album/erythric-limnes

All drums on that album are Rytm. First two tracks are entirely Rytm, though there's a couple of samples used (within Rytm) as well. Track 1's melody plinking and track 2's bass/melody (both instances come in around halfway through each track) are pure Rytm analog synthesis.

If you have any more specific questions in regards to Rytm let me know here or PM and I'll be glad to answer best I can :)

Gee, Auxien, you're so damn helpful as always :blush:

That's a seriously impressive album you posted, thank you for the insight and the amazing tunes, I'm really really loving it. Trying to decide between Rytm and Machinedrum. Might just go with Machinedrum because I'm poor but I think I see some Elektron in my future. Either that or an Octatrack, I could see layering samples with the right timbres in a percussion-synthesis-minded way, if that makes sense. I like samples, organic sounds like wood, birds, and forest noises. This far in my process I've been keen to using an almost equal mix of samples and synthesis, so I can see myself getting a MD or Rytm and getting an Octa on top of that. Like a spoiled brat child I am....

Just out of curiosity, what was your set up for that album? You say it's all hardware and live, I'm really curious to know how you put all that together! Or if you're not keen on talking shop too much, I'm just interested in the thought process itself.

Always glad to help where I sorta kinda can provide some info at least. :)

Rytm Mk1s may be cheaper on the used market now that the MkIIs are out, but I don't actually know...but no matter, a Machinedrum with sampling may be great too for you. I'd say it comes down to the types of sounds you want, if you're really sure it's between those two machines. MD and Rytm definitely have different characters to their synthesis sounds (Rytm is analog obv) and so you'll just have different tools and a different interface of course. Pads on the Rytm for performance/scenes are pretty useful if you're into jamming/performing live and doesn't get talked about enough imo. MD is a great machine too though with its particular sound profile and ability to really dig in pretty deep, and from what little I've played with it, it can really benefit from a little post-effects. If you're talking about also getting an Octatrack, maybe an MD+OT would be a great combo for you? Especially if you went both first versions (maybe even MkI MD without sampling?) you might could get the combo for relatively cheap. As much as you're talking about incorporating samples I'd say you may even want to consider getting OT first before anything else...but it's got a pretty steep learning curve to really dig into it. May not be bad for you, of course.

I'll go answer your other question here ( https://forum.watmm.com/topic/88908-tsrono-various-releases/ ) so as to not clog up the GAS thread too much :)

i couldn't contain my GAS over Christmas and i now have a Dreadbox Erebus en route

Very nice, it sounds like a wonderful little machine

Aux, is that album all Rytm? 

No sir, the first two tracks are performed entirely on Rytm (compressor/recording via Ableton), though I'm obviously not finger drumming or writing the melodies live, I'm just manipulating the patterns and effects and such live. No editing beyond the fade in (and I cut about 10 seconds of audio at the end) of track one. All drums on the album are Rytm, though. All hardware sounds with processing to varying degrees in Ableton, but all was performed/recorded live, one take.

Very impressive work and great to see the 'improvements' in your tracks. 

Thank you! Album is up for free, grab it and tell a friend :)

Just ordered all the parts (excluding enclosure) to build a Gyraf G/SSL compressor. Even if I go for an entirely prebuilt enclosure instead of drilling my own panels, and get the parts for a couple of the requisite mods, it's still going to be a super nice compressor for well under than the cost of two RNC's. Looks like a fairly easy build, too.

Just ordered all the parts (excluding enclosure) to build a Gyraf G/SSL compressor. Even if I go for an entirely prebuilt enclosure instead of drilling my own panels, and get the parts for a couple of the requisite mods, it's still going to be a super nice compressor for well under than the cost of two RNC's. Looks like a fairly easy build, too.

Whatz the total cost?

Not sure wha

Whatz the total cost?

t I'll get for a case, but it's usually between $300 and $500 depending on parts and mods.  I got the PCBgrinder parts kit with detented pots because I don't think I could save enough sourcing my own parts to make it worth the trouble.

I don't think I'll be adding transformer balancing or anything so it'll be on the lower end of the price range.  The full case kit is pretty expensive but if you source the case, off-board parts and power transformer yourself it's a lot less, and I'm going to use balanced TRS connectors instead of XLR so that will save a bit more.   The thing I haven't figured out yet is if I want to get a panel made (which would be nice because actual screened or laser etched control markings would make it easier to repeat settings) or just get an off the shelf rack enclosure and drill my own, which could get it down below $300 total, and that's still assuming I buy a PCB for the sidechain mod rather than just doing it on stripboard.  Keeping it really minimal and not having to ship overseas I bet you could build it for $250.

Been eyeing these things for a few years.

Edited by RSP

I found a MS2000R for 180€ at a pawn shop in my hometown...I'm trying to resist the urge to take it before someone else does but I don't know if I should cave in or not. Don't really know if that would be a useful addition to my setup or not but the simple fact of it being very cheap is quite appealing lol.

On the other hand, the father of a friend of mine told me he had a synth lying around. Turns out it's a Roland JX8P and it's pretty cool because he's OK to sell it for me so I'll see which polysynth I'll end up getting I guess :music:

Shamefully, after seeing Gaz Williams show off some poly synth, I am gasing over a kordbot, and they aren't not that bank breaking.

836306b9ef5a0b5bf645528843a4fc78_origina

I found a MS2000R for 180€ at a pawn shop in my hometown...I'm trying to resist the urge to take it before someone else does but I don't know if I should cave in or not. Don't really know if that would be a useful addition to my setup or not but the simple fact of it being very cheap is quite appealing lol.

On the other hand, the father of a friend of mine told me he had a synth lying around. Turns out it's a Roland JX8P and it's pretty cool because he's OK to sell it for me so I'll see which polysynth I'll end up getting I guess :music:

Nice! Get both. :)

Shamefully, after seeing Gaz Williams show off some poly synth, I am gasing over a kordbot, and they aren't not that bank breaking.

836306b9ef5a0b5bf645528843a4fc78_origina

Yeah, noticed that too! I looked into it a while back when checking out a few different hardware MIDI controllers, but realized it's not for me. Still got a hankering for a Squarp Pyramid though...perhaps one day.

There's a Behringer Tweakalizer complete in the box for $9.99 on eBay right now with no bids... we'l see what it's looking like in the last hour but I might finally have to scratch that stupid itch.

There's a Behringer Tweakalizer complete in the box for $9.99 on eBay right now with no bids... we'l see what it's looking like in the last hour but I might finally have to scratch that stupid itch.

Never seen that, it's a pretty weird little fella ain't it? Could be pretty interesting though. The big dial reminds me of an idea I had earlier this year for a MIDI controller. Ideas don't count for shit if you have no mechanical aptitude like me though. lol

Saw this new version of the Kastl on CDM, looks so much fun. Maybe a fun little purchase next year?