IGNORED

Burial - Young Death / Nightmarket

berndspring1974

direct lift of that Rabit - Tearz sample is lame because that song is only a few months old and a better version of the same sample.

Its funny how sometimes a sample seems err, not kosher, when in reality its fair game. Like on the flipside some sample sources seem part of some canon or universal "approved" standard

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really liking both tracks a lot, but I can't help feeling they'd work a lot better on an album, or tied with at least a couple more tracks to make it a really worthwhile EP. It seems increasingly likely that he's not really interested in doing albums now, but I hope he'll be putting out slightly longer releases in future at least. Maybe a 2xEP CD release like Beat did for Street Halo / Kindred.

But yeah, the content is excellent.

Yeah v much agree with this. I actually don't mind if he just does e.p's now but would much prefer them to be Kindred /rival dealer kinda sized eps.

And as you say these tracks in particular would work so much better on a more fleshed out release

I'm enjoying this one.  And since we're sample-spotting, do I hear the opening of Teardrop at the tail end of Young Death(5:30)? 

Edit:  Those audio drop outs are intentional, right?  E.g. 5:42 in Nightmarket.  

This is the kind of release I've come to expect from Burial these days, a couple moody ambient-esque tracks... though I agree with the sentiment that these could both go on a bit longer, or go well with other, similar tracks to make a more cohesive whole. Or maybe the fragmentation is the point? Eh. Solid stuff, just wish there was a bit more to it.

Edit:  Those audio drop outs are intentional, right?  E.g. 5:42 in Nightmarket.  

I remember when people were complaining about similar audio drops in Ashtray Wasp. Kode9 had to make official statement that these drops/cuts were made on purpose and it wasn't fuckup during vinyl pressing.

So yeah, the thing with Burial is that even when something sounds like glitch in production process (or simply like shit) you can be 100% sure that it sounds shitty on purpose.

Young Death: meh/10

Nightmarket: 12/10

So yeah, the thing with Burial is that even when something sounds like glitch in production process (or simply like shit) you can be 100% sure that it sounds shitty on purpose.

Except for the pressing of Four Walls/Paradise Circus that sounded fine on digital through the Massive Attack webstore, but on the Vinyl Factory pressing was a crunchy sibilant mess.

excellent release, not as meaty as the Kindred+Truant releases but more listenable than the strange christmas horrors on rival dealer.

I don't care tho because I've been crafting my own burial album with my favorites as the EPs/sample collages trickle in

5 out of 7 shell casings

Yeah I was thinking of making a collection of recent ep tracks as well. Might put the Zomby colab on it as well.. even though from a quick listen through it sounded a bit shit it may be a secret grower!

Oh btw top class sample spotting WATMM! Member that Nija game from when I was a kid.

lol @ the Majoras Mask sample in Young Death

Where?

It's the skull kid's laugh

Wow. I hear this now, but when I first heard the track I assumed it was just a record scratching sample. I suppose the zelda's in the details.

Where?

Wow. I hear this now, but when I first heard the track I assumed it was just a record scratching sample. I suppose the zelda's in the details.

On my first listen I thought it sounded like the Diddy Kong Racing title

https://youtu.be/Ce_l_YX_MUg?t=4

Where?

that kid laugh right after is literally everywhere in every tv show, ad, movie, video game, etc. around the world and i still have no idea what sound library it is from.

Guest bitroast

Where?

that kid laugh right after is literally everywhere in every tv show, ad, movie, video game, etc. around the world and i still have no idea what sound library it is from.

hahaha yes. i hear it in tv ads ALL THE TIME and always think DIDDY!!!!!!! :^)

finding it fairly boring, unfortunately. he seems like he's trying to develop some new ideas with Nightmarket but it doesn't go anywhere. doesn't grab me like the Burlel of yore. imo Truant/Rough Sleeper was the last solid thing he did.

Archived