IGNORED

The Big Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS ABOUND*

Joyrex

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.change.org/p/george-lucas-release-4-hour-long-star-wars-revenge-of-the-sith

Hello there! The original Star Wars: Revenge of The Sith (2005) cut was over four hours long, and we think that George Lucas should do the right thing and give the fans what we deserve and what is rightfully ours. We love democracy, and we hope he does too. By signing this you are letting your voices be heard. If this petition does go viral, then we will have unlimited power and if George does the right thing then he would be strong and wise and we would all be very proud of him. This whole operation is our idea and we need to ensure that it is done. We will proclaim ah, victory when we achieve our goal. May the force be with you all and have faith.

Hahahahaha! These people are the worst.

• Haha 2

lol, who in their right mind would want to see more of that garbage. Gotta love that entitlement.

Edited by Gocab
  • Haha 1

I don't buy it was four hours long... Lucas is an efficient filmmaker, despite his dialogue skills (or lack thereof).

These are just entitled fans thinking because the Snyder cut of Justice League is going to be released they can demand other movies cut footage be released (same case with Suicide Squad).

1 hour ago, Squee said:

I still want to be able to watch that Topfer Grace cut that's the 3 prequels in 80 minutes, not this.

The RLM media review, snark aside, hit on a lot of great points, articulating something else I figured out: A New Hope was perhaps the greatest cinematic fluke of all time and Empire the most effective follow-up of all time. ROTJ is great but the greatness of it's effects and direction masks goofy and melodramatic and clunky dialogue. A New Hope was a great idea that was steered not by it's creator but by editors, special effects techs, and personable actors. Likewise the prequels were a strange, messy, half-baked product of the same creator having absolutely no one saying no at key points. The New trilogy, while still beautiful and decent, was ultimately the Poochy The Dog of recent media franchise efforts: a film series constrained and handicapped corporate committee second-guessing itself over a focus group of batshit internet fans.

The Prequels are still the worst, not so much for sucking outright but by being haphazard - it's like someone took substantive but highly edited plot points of a miniseries and shoehorned them into a pretty and dazzling wall of noise - noise in the form of absurdly dense action scenes and conceptual backdrops. They showcase great actors in weird, uncanny valley-esque conversations and interactions. It's like a high budget late 90s era / early 00s era video game cutscene film series. Oddly enough I find the Phantom Menance to be the best overall - it's still got the vibe of some characters stumbling through some adventure.

I'll elaborate more later on my thoughts of the movie itself but finally seeing RoS was like the coda to this long, gradual realization I'm over Star Wars. I'll cherish the old stuff I love, objectively appreciate the stuff that's not that good, and come to terms that much of the fanbase consists of naive zealots who love the Disney stuff or - worse - pathetic, bitter, resentful and toxic douchebags. I've figured out my passion for the aesthetics most showcased in ANH points me more other retrofuturistic sci-fi of the 70s and 80s more than it does to other SW media. I look forward to not feeling tempted to invest in a franchise and it's merch for myself personally when I rather just see my kids happy playing with legos of Rey, Finn, Poe, BB-8, Rose, etc. That's who they are intended for and that's who Luke, Han, Leia, and R2D2 were intended for - kids and people who are kids at heart. 

Edited by joshuatxuk
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

I still want to be able to watch that Topfer Grace cut that's the 3 prequels in 80 minutes, not this.

The RLM media review, snark aside, hit on a lot of great points, articulating something else I figured out: A New Hope was perhaps the greatest cinematic fluke of all time and Empire the most effective follow-up of all time. ROTJ is great but the greatness of it's effects and direction masks goofy and melodramatic and clunky dialogue. A New Hope was a great idea that was steered not by it's creator but by editors, special effects techs, and personable actors. Likewise the prequels were a strange, messy, half-baked product of the same creator having absolutely no one saying no at key points. The New trilogy, while still beautiful and decent, was ultimately the Poochy The Dog of recent media franchise efforts: a film series constrained and handicapped corporate committee second-guessing itself over a focus group of batshit internet fans.

The Prequels are still the worst, not so much for sucking outright but by being haphazard - it's like someone took substantive but highly edited plot points of a miniseries and shoehorned them into a pretty and dazzling wall of noise - noise in the form of absurdly dense action scenes and conceptual backdrops. They showcase great actors in weird, uncanny valley-esque conversations and interactions. It's like a high budget late 90s era / early 00s era video game cutscene film series. Oddly enough I find the Phantom Menance to be the best overall - it's still got the vibe of some characters stumbling through some adventure.

I'll elaborate more later on my thoughts of the movie itself but finally seeing RoS was like the coda to this long, gradual realization I'm over Star Wars. I'll cherish the old stuff I love, objectively appreciate the stuff that's not that good, and come to terms that much of the fanbase consists of naive zealots who love the Disney stuff or - worse - pathetic, bitter, resentful and toxic douchebags. I've figured out my passion for the aesthetics most showcased in ANH points me more other retrofuturistic sci-fi of the 70s and 80s more than it does to other SW media. I look forward to not feeling tempted to invest in a franchise and it's merch for myself personally when I rather just see my kids happy playing with legos of Rey, Finn, Poe, BB-8, Rose, etc. That's who they are intended for and that's who Luke, Han, Leia, and R2D2 were intended for - kids and people who are kids at heart. 

Tldr

But yeah i guess we can all agree that Joshua is one of those people, a true fan... :catbed:

• Haha 1

The prequels told a bad, but new story poorly. The sequels told the original trilogy's story again, but poorly. I'll take the former any day of the week.

Also the prequel memes are better.

Also Ewan McGregor.

• Like 1

agreed. Note: Rian Johnson died on the way back to his home planet.

to me it’s this:
1. empire
2. new hope
3. half of phantom menace
4. Jedi
5. force awakens
6. Other half of phantom menace
7. half of last Jedi (the Rey and kylo bits)
8. Rise of skywalker
9. other half of last jedi
10. revenge
11. Clones

4 hours ago, Lada Laika said:

The prequels told a bad, but new story poorly. The sequels told the original trilogy's story again, but poorly. I'll take the former any day of the week.

Also the prequel memes are better.

Also Ewan McGregor.

I never thought of it this was but the new trilogy is really, really un-meme-able compared to the other films and tv shows. RoS was over 2 hours long yet most of it was edited like a content packed teaser trailer. 

In other news, Taita Waikiki (director of Thor Ragnarok and Jojo Rabbit) will helm the next mainline Star Wars movie in 2022. I am hopeful.

• Like 1

I'm sure it'll be fine. Maybe even some likeable characters for once.

Unless Disney allows the directors and writers to do their thing they've been hired to do with Star Wars, it will be milquetoast by committee boring pap. I want fresh perspectives on the galaxy far far away. I'd be glad to to not even hear about Jedis or even the Force in the next installments. Or place it even further back in time and have brand new characters and happenings or go way into the the future. Fuck the fanboys who basically want to see the same shit over and over, just in a different order and same characters with different names.

• Like 1

I think they kind of did, and the manbaby fanboys hated it? Haven't really been paying attention. I know Solo was a studio hack-job

59 minutes ago, azatoth said:

Unless Disney allows the directors and writers to do their thing they've been hired to do with Star Wars, it will be milquetoast by committee boring pap. I want fresh perspectives on the galaxy far far away. I'd be glad to to not even hear about Jedis or even the Force in the next installments. Or place it even further back in time and have brand new characters and happenings or go way into the the future. Fuck the fanboys who basically want to see the same shit over and over, just in a different order and same characters with different names.

Then The Mandalorian (a few episodes were directed by Wikiki and he even did the voice of IG-11) is right up your alley - I love the fact that (so far) haven't mentioned The Force by name, Jedi, or shown a lightsaber (well, almost). It gets what Star Wars is about beyond the Skywalker story.

Also, the tech they developed for it (watch the making-of series on Disney +, especially episode 4, "Technology") is amazing - it may revolutionize how TV and Films are made beyond all this green screen nonsense that was required up to this point.

Agreed, The Mandalorian is the best thing out if star wars since the empire strikes back. IMO.

I know a manbaby who doesn't like it because the music doesn't sound like John Williams. "It just doesn't feel like SW without the music". Same guy told me he cried at the end of the last jedi when rey was force lifting the stones. He's the worst.

Edited by Gocab
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...