IGNORED

Shpongle - Codex VI

kichiguy

a0976907916_16.jpg

New Shpongle album out on bandcamp now. I have a feel this may be of interest to a few members here ( including you closet goa fans).

1. Remember The Future 07:19
2. The Magumba State 09:32
3. Empty Branes 10:18
4. Are We There Yet 06:12
5. Herr Gringleflapper's Secret Stash Box 09:32
6. Strange Planet 08:55
7. I Woke Up As A Shlummutz 06:53
8. Celestial Intoxication 09:08
9. Hammock Therapy 02:15

Full album streaming on youtube:

Excited to listen to this later. A little cautiously optimistic ; I wasn't too into the last one. Their first three are just untouchably sublime though. They're what got me into electronic music originally

I used to be a huge Shpongle fan. About 15 years ago. Now can't stand the sound. You know like some overly sweet alcoholic drink you liked when you were a teenager but now it makes you just nauseous?

I love lots of Shpongle; Tales of the Inexpressible, Nothing Lasts.. Ineffable Mysteries was a real "recent" high point (time fucking flies), will be exciting to hear this out.

nothing lasts is my favorite. best opening and closing tracks. additionally, if twisted and/or lone deranger aren't forever in your car's 6 disc changer thats stupidly placed in the trunk, then hand in your watmm card plz

Those track titles, particularly number 5, are making me think of

peep_3.jpg

Posford is definitely a Peep Show fan. There was a Hallucinogen track off a compilation that has a Peep Show sample:

Anyway, Shpongle can be good times but I never really heavily got into anything after the first 3 albums. Those first 3 are all classics though, even if they sometimes drift into unbearable cheese with shitty horns and whatnot. 

Still, I'm always chasing that "first high" so I'll definitely give this a listen. These days the closest I get to psychill or whatever the fuck you wanna call it would be the utterly sublime Geomatic... but that's probably too dark for most of the doof crowd looking for cheap thrills.

I don't know psy-trance really well but the stuff I've heard that I got into (basically Lone Deranger and Eat Static's Epsylon) I really enjoy, and I also appreciate the influence the genre has had on IDM, especially Brothomstates. I would love more recommendations in that vein... tight production and transitions and trippy sounds, yes please. Typically the melodies seem to be pretty lacking but I guess that's par for the course. Shpongle seems to be more into this kind of hippy dubby thing that I'm not super into ... I guess this is what's called goa? I dunno... I never went through a raver phase so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

I don't know psy-trance really well but the stuff I've heard that I got into (basically Lone Deranger and Eat Static's Epsylon) I really enjoy, and I also appreciate the influence the genre has had on IDM, especially Brothomstates. I would love more recommendations in that vein... tight production and transitions and trippy sounds, yes please. Typically the melodies seem to be pretty lacking but I guess that's par for the course. Shpongle seems to be more into this kind of hippy dubby thing that I'm not super into ... I guess this is what's called goa? I dunno... I never went through a raver phase so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Shpongle is more psychill or psydub. Some of the artists floating around this area cross over with IDM quite nicely. It's not all floaty hippy stuff, some of it is kind of more broken beat or interesting soundscapes. Some of the best stuff in this space would be OTT, Bluetech, and Geomatic (which is more tribal industrial than anything, and fantastic!). Eat Static is often quite breaky, not really "psytrance" unless there's a constant 4/4 beat.

Goa is very much a type of trance. 4/4 beats driving the songs. I actually don't have much experience with Goa specifically, but basically psytrance breaks into a bunch of sub genre's like dark psy, morning psy, full on, proggy, blah blah blah. You know how these things can be, and psy trance fans can be positively militant with their preferred sub genre (trance nazis).

I'm sure some people will come in with specific trance recommendations. Here's a couple of good albums if you are looking for more IDMish psy stuff:

Ott: Fairchildren - https://ottsonic.bandcamp.com/album/fairchildren

Geomatic and Lagowski: Cosmochemistry: https://m-tronic.bandcamp.com/album/cosmochemistry-2

Shpongle is more psychill or psydub. Some of the artists floating around this area cross over with IDM quite nicely. It's not all floaty hippy stuff, some of it is kind of more broken beat or interesting soundscapes. Some of the best stuff in this space would be OTT, Bluetech, and Geomatic (which is more tribal industrial than anything, and fantastic!). Eat Static is often quite breaky, not really "psytrance" unless there's a constant 4/4 beat.

Goa is very much a type of trance. 4/4 beats driving the songs. I actually don't have much experience with Goa specifically, but basically psytrance breaks into a bunch of sub genre's like dark psy, morning psy, full on, proggy, blah blah blah. You know how these things can be, and psy trance fans can be positively militant with their preferred sub genre (trance nazis).

I'm sure some people will come in with specific trance recommendations. Here's a couple of good albums if you are looking for more IDMish psy stuff:

Ott: Fairchildren - https://ottsonic.bandcamp.com/album/fairchildren

Geomatic and Lagowski: Cosmochemistry: https://m-tronic.bandcamp.com/album/cosmochemistry-2

if the euro festival circuits are anything to go by, than forest and high-tech are the most popular sub-genres these days. i can't stand the latter, but love me some shroomy forest music in the morning. but i digress, there are more shpongle heads on watmm than i expected. first three albums are where its at for me personally, curious to see how this measures up in comparison. 

Anyway, Shpongle can be good times but I never really heavily got into anything after the first 3 albums. Those first 3 are all classics though, even if they sometimes drift into unbearable cheese with shitty horns and whatnot.

If loving the horns in My Head Feels Like A Frisbee is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.

love me some shroomy forest music in the morning.

Holy crap, that is pretty awesome. I'm feeling that shroomy sound. I love the title too LOL

Thanks for all the recs above, hope to gradually check these out.

I'll save you the legwork. Make a beeline for Sanaton Records if you like music that sounds like this. Free music in the Trips section of the website and they have a bandcamp as well.

Haven't heard the album yet but the launch party in London a few weeks back was great.

I'll save you the legwork. Make a beeline for Sanaton Records if you like music that sounds like this. Free music in the Trips section of the website and they have a bandcamp as well.

Probably worth checking out Parvati too.

Archived