IGNORED

Burial's Untrue is the most important electronic album of the century

zaphod

Why is the order of the tracks on the vinyl so pap?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zy2U4wi9bmZVwEZ3r3iabla_nBB0VLbtUtYR_K_YJGw/edit?usp=sharing

Why Machinedrum's Human Energy is the Most Important Electronic Music Album of the Millenium.

zen232--machinedrum.jpg

this is fucking incredible

lol

AHAHAHAHAHA

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Why is the order of the tracks on the vinyl so pap?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zy2U4wi9bmZVwEZ3r3iabla_nBB0VLbtUtYR_K_YJGw/edit?usp=sharing

Why Machinedrum's Human Energy is the Most Important Electronic Music Album of the Millenium.

this is fucking incredible

lol

AHAHAHAHAHA

NFucHXw.gif

just now catching up to this but this has to be the thread of the year IMO

perhaps the most important this century

There's just one sample from mgs2. The orchestral/choir thing from where snake jumps off the bridge.

Why bother making the rest of this stuff up?:

"Burial builds a lot of his percussion using sounds from metal gear solid. What your thought was a snare or a hi hat might actually be a gun reloading or the games main character picking up an extra life"

Simon Reynolds is the music journalist equivalent of Adam Curtis.

Superficially, his writing comes across as quite smart but any remote scrutiny reveals the fallacies and leaps of logic and plain untruths (lol).

The whole passage about new labour, just no.

Sad Mark Fisher died, but far too many are aping his style and he’s someone else I feel was guilty of the same problems in what we can call the Wire style of writing.

Feels like it’s as much about getting themselves over, reminding how they invented terms or co-opted them into music journalism to enlighten us mere mortals, the hauntology/hypnagogia etc...

Probably a good basis for an essay here but this is all over the shop. There’s only so much mileage you can get out of one Burial interview.

Simon Reynolds is the music journalist equivalent of Adam Curtis.

Superficially, his writing comes across as quite smart but any remote scrutiny reveals the fallacies and leaps of logic and plain untruths (lol).

The whole passage about new labour, just no.

Sad Matk Fisher died, but far too many are aping his style too and he’s someone else I feel was guilty of the same problems in what we can call the Wire style of writing.

I just finished Fisher's most recent collection of musings and he was obsessed with the word oneiric and with burial

he was occasionally a genius, but i often feel like his experience of music seems manic in its euphoric reaction....

still...great books

Thanks for posting this, I need to check out Mark Fisher's stuff in earnest. I like Simon Reynolds a lot, up there with Chris Ott in terms of provoking thought for me regarding pop music, even if I don't agree with them.

I feel like like a tremendous amount of thinkpieces/feaures about vaporwave, hauntology, etc. are all rip-offs of Adam Harper, who essentially boiled down Fisher and Reynold's work to more digestible blog posts.

Well TBH I sort of made the same statement once. Published to boot. Kinda. Way back in 2010 some friends and acquaintances of mine put together a "best albums of 2000's list." Not sure if it's cached online (can't find it right now), it was on a blog my friend who now writes for Daily Dot used to run. I was part of less than a dozen who ended up voting up and down stuff and writing posts for each album. The highest ranked one I wrote the blurb for was Untrue, we ended up ranking it #9. So essentially it was the highest ranked electronic album on our list and the highest from my perspective.

I stand by what I wrote and was happy it was ranked so high, I had fun doing the list, but that said lists and declarations like this always make me feel uncomfortable when I really sit and ponder it. It's even more warped now that anything released in the last say 5 years have these plethora of clickbait and content farmed reviews and features attached to them, and if they are remotely publicized and hyped, hyperbolic think-pieces and "critical acclaim" immediately associated with them. It really puts a lot of equally good stuff released before web 2.0 social media/shared content off into obscurity, held back because most press associated with those albums are in written form or on now deleted web pages. It also exaggerates the "importance" of old albums that are perpetually re-hashed in reviews, reissues, and retrospective articles. These things now literally equate to unintended historical revisionism, genre re-definitions, etc.

With Untrue it's hard for me it's hard to argue for or against declaring it this important. It's not that I don't know better or don't feel passionate against such a statement, it just begs the question of what makes something so important. Honestly it just feels too damn soon. I think we're about to hit a fucking huge shift in pop music and music in general at some point, music as it is now, increasingly niche, redundant, and, even when done well, still grounded in existing genres/styles/ethos, and then some new frontier we haven't quite achieved yet in multimedia and shit involving VR or, I dunno, interfacing actual thoughts and imagery into immediate art. Fuck who knows. Nonetheless ranking a unique sounding achievement of bedroom electronic production that struck a chord with so many emotionally seems perfectly reasonable and yet equally absurd at the same. Haven't read the article yet but I'm sure I'll have the same conclusion.

Soz, no can do brotendo.  I hypothesize it's a millennials thing, loike maybe it's their Blue Lines or Goldie's Timeless or summat.  Also agree on the whole weirdness of its instant exaltation that Josh-a-tux well put.  Humans are sorely lacking in adapting to the hyperconnectivity we've created, and this is just one of those odd consequences in the domain of musics (imo)

it really doesnt matter how the album was made...thats just trivia romanticism and missing the point of what electronic music is...just people reaching for whatever and making music with it...theres no norm

the album is part of context which matters most...id say austerity, london life, urban decay....post labour crash etc

thats more important than the music imo

whatever comes along at that time will automatically be seen as representative 

All this back and forth over it has got me slsking right now. So you could say the hype is working...

I don't think I've listened to terriblol Burial since '08 or '09, after seeing all the hype back then and being completely underwhelmed by the reality.

oCFie.png

Archived