IGNORED

Burial's Untrue is the most important electronic album of the century

zaphod

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this back and forth over it has got me slsking right now. So you could say the hype is working...

I don't think I've listened to terriblol Burial since '08 or '09, after seeing all the hype back then and being completely underwhelmed by the reality.

oCFie.png

re-lol

Soz, no can do brotendo.  I hypothesize it's a millennials thing, loike maybe it's their Blue Lines or Goldie's Timeless or summat.  Also agree on the whole weirdness of its instant exaltation that Josh-a-tux well put.  Humans are sorely lacking in adapting to the hyperconnectivity we've created, and this is just one of those odd consequences in the domain of musics (imo)

Nice point - wish I could of widdled down my thoughts to that succinct conclusion - explains a lot of acclaimed underground/indie stuff in the last 20 years, especially whole scenes like vaporwave and chillwave & witch house (R.I.P.) before that. Feel like Deafheaven is an example of a perfectly decent, somewhat unique, but nonetheless objectively unimportant band that's had this immense reception. Flylo might be another. Get this vibe from Tame Impala too within indie rock. Surely everyone could point out other Burial equivalents.

not a fan of burial's recent work and this album is overpraised like hellfuck but still a great music and this thing and original

people that don't agree or hate, i kinda feel sorry for em

Feel like Deafheaven is an example of a perfectly decent, somewhat unique, but nonetheless objectively unimportant band that's had this immense reception. Flylo might be another.

Yeah I never got the fawning over FlyLo. He's got decent chops but afaict it's all style and no substance. And even stylistically he doesn't bring anything new to the table, it's like neon Dilla with less soul. For a while it seemed like he and his California collective was all anyone talked about and I just didn't see the point, the sweet spots they reach for are hit much better by many others. Right place, right time, I guess.

Don't pity me for 'not getting it'. Don't worry, I get it.

You don't reckon you do get it. You can only truly 'get' this album if you live in a London high rise council estate, have a comprehensive woodblock collection and store your records in an old hoover bag

Don't pity me for 'not getting it'. Don't worry, I get it.

but what if this didn't get famous at all and u just got it on a scratched cd-r from someone, wouldn't you say dang, this is pretty special/sweet?

burial is deece it's the best music for listening to on a train or subway Fact

I'd have to put Lunatic Harness & Richard D James album on that list.  Used to ride the bus/metrorail for a 1.5 hour commute into downtown Miami to work while listening to both these albums in the late 90s and it was probably one of the greatest chunks of downtime in my life.

man I love Burial's first two albums but they've gotta stop writing all this bs about it, talking about music is like dancing about architecture etc. so stfu

I like the album, at the time it was kind of unique in that there was a shit load of dubstep stuff going on and he was doing something a little bit different.

His albums / EPs get more focus because he has never performed live or DJ'd anywhere (under the Burial name anyway) so it's all his fans have to go by.

He had a few good EPs since Untrue came out but the last 2 releases have been bobbins.

dancing about architecture

Pretty sure this is exactly what I was doing at the last Autechre show I went to, and it felt good.

I hearby nominate "dancing about architecture" most IDM 2018

Archived