Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Biggest shock hearing an Ae song for the first time?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jaazeps

Jaazeps

• Members Plus
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Joined 04-November 17

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

Which song do you remember feeling the most surprised about when you heard it for the first time? For me it's either known(1) or bnc Castl, both sounded so different from anything I had ever heard from them before (which says a lot). 

#2 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,401 posts
  • 174 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:03 PM

For me possibly r ess combined with ilanders as the openers to Oversteps. I'd been so used to their albums heading towards crunchy technical shenanigans that when the huge ambience and melodic twangs of these first two tracks came on I knew the album would be a very different beast indeed.

(It also didn't help that my headphones weren't plugged in properly and I was just getting the 'side' information rather than anything in the mid channel for the first few minutes !)

#3 Bulk VanderHooj

Bulk VanderHooj

Hugh-Mungus

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,713 posts
  • 45 topics
  • Joined 28-January 12
  • Interests:Bulking
    Huge-ifying

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

My introduction to autechre was only a few years ago with Exai lol. Had only heard a few remixes of theirs before that. (I know, its unbelievable lol). 

Me and the waifu went into the album blind, on mushrooms. With no point of reference for autechre trax other than the 2 tracks preceding it (which were also pretty nuts), prac-f came on.

fook me was that ever trippy.

Album was so good we invited my brother over to repeat the process the following weekend.

Didn't mean for that to read like a trip report lol sorry. I just remember prac-f being particularly shocking as it was like nothing I'd ever heard before.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj, 10 November 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#4 jaderpansen

jaderpansen

I'm not regret

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • 8 topics
  • Joined 16-April 07

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:18 PM

untilted - quaristice - oversteps certainly was the most wtfucked sequence of releases to me, each for very different reasons. representative tracks? prolly fermium, ending of plc, known(1).

sure, unpredictability is one of ae's defining (and most cherished) features anyway but yeah those i saw coming the least i think.

#5 auxien

auxien

i be readin the rules, be needin the rules, u succeedin? rules.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  • 49 topics
  • Joined 09-April 08
  • SoundCloud URL:soundcloud.com/tsrono
  • PSN:auxien

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:18 PM

Gantz Graf for me. I'm pretty sure the first time I heard it was also watching the video, and it was a hell of a sensory overload. Even with their music often tending towards that rapid groove and harsher sound, they really went somewhere else with that track they'd not really gone before imo: it's succinctness and clarity was (and still is) really engaging, but with the 'coordinated' visuals and punch of it all together, it was a hell of a first impression.

#6 ambermonk

ambermonk

Poop

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,735 posts
  • 38 topics
  • Joined 23-June 12
  • SoundCloud URL:ClownSound IRL
  • Steam:ScopeDog

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

Not just song, but album. In which case I'm talking about EP7. I was still fairly new to Ae at the time, and I'd previously only heard Incunabula, Amber, and Tri Repetae++. It took me a day or two to realize it was the same guys.

This was in May 1999, and I was accustomed to the impression that Ae were strictly into spacious, ambient grooves. And at the time EP7 was like an evil computer virus to me. But then when I first heard Chiastic Slide and LP5 the following year, those were the missing puzzle pieces. And then things made more sense.

#7 autechrist

autechrist

Recently Joined

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 29-January 10
  • Interests:Audigga

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

my first time with VLetrmx :
We made love and me brain cummed so hard

my first time with VLetrmx and MDMA :
Jupiter and beyond the infinite

Edited by autechrist, 10 November 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#8 GetSquirrely

GetSquirrely

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • 18 topics
  • Joined 02-May 15

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

friend of mine who knew i was big into breakcore recommended gantz graf & draft to me, which i now love. they described it as very cold and alien, but even expecting that it still pulled my brain to shreds.

#9 xox

xox

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 08-April 08

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

ipacial section on big system. pure fire!

#10 Kavinsky

Kavinsky

Artificial Intelligence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • 34 topics
  • Joined 04-May 07
  • SoundCloud URL:https://ganzfeld3.bandcamp.com/releases
  • Interests:Braindance, periwigs & business

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

i was around 14 and baked as hell at a friends house and we where all listening to Confield i think, my mind couldnt comprehend the music but it was very pleasant , i felt like an autist.

#11 AE35unit

AE35unit

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Joined 05-March 15

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

I think it was 2003, a friend burned me a cd: discordance axis before and ep7 sfter. I already well knew discordance axis, but I never heard of these Autechre. I was speechless. Then I found out that the cd was defective: it interrupted the autechre's tracks with seconds of net silence. I was very disappointed to find that those cuts of silence were not authentic: you have no idea how Rpeg was abstract and innovative with those absurd pauses. Despite this, with or without silences, I soon realized that those two british dudes played exactly what my brain always asked for, without knowing it. Unfortunately I have been ill of this, and still today I barely can not hear anything else. Someone help me get out please.  :cerious:

#12 jaderpansen

jaderpansen

I'm not regret

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • 8 topics
  • Joined 16-April 07

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:10 PM

I think it was 2003, a friend burned me a cd: discordance axis before and ep7 sfter.

sounds like a good friend to have.