IGNORED

How do ex-Rephlex musicians survive?

B1000

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

autechre: i seem to remember they both have day jobs, or had them at some point.

Plaid: Trying to remember, i think in an interview with plaid they said they do it full time, but it's VERY difficult to scrape by that way and said they didn't recommend it.

Squarepusher: ? No idea. I haven't heard too much from him though recently. Due for a release I reckon. Kind of feel like he might have a job.

Aphex: Gets a lot from touring and record sales. No job.

boards of canada: they have got to have some kind of job... they release almost no music. Unless they are riding off of their album sales still somehow, they were HUGE albums, probably generated a lot of cash. I could see it either way.

ceephax: i would think he's gotta have a job of some sort

clark: dunno

snares: dunno

autechre—never on Rephlex

Plaid—never on Rephlex

Squarepusher—never on Rephlex

Aphex—never on Rephlex

boards of cananda—never on rephelx

clark—dunno

snares—never on rephlax

autechre: i seem to remember they both have day jobs, or had them at some point.

Plaid: Trying to remember, i think in an interview with plaid they said they do it full time, but it's VERY difficult to scrape by that way and said they didn't recommend it.

Squarepusher: ? No idea. I haven't heard too much from him though recently. Due for a release I reckon. Kind of feel like he might have a job.

Aphex: Gets a lot from touring and record sales. No job.

boards of canada: they have got to have some kind of job... they release almost no music. Unless they are riding off of their album sales still somehow, they were HUGE albums, probably generated a lot of cash. I could see it either way.

ceephax: i would think he's gotta have a job of some sort

clark: dunno

snares: dunno

lmao

autechre—never on Rephlex

Plaid—never on Rephlex

Squarepusher—never on Rephlex

Aphex—never on Rephlex

boards of cananda—never on rephelx

clark—dunno

snares—never on rephlax

Squarepusher never on Rephlex? Ever hear of Feed Me Weird Things?

EDIT: Ah, somebody already beat me to it, and I *think* that was a joke... nvm

Bogdan seems to be doing stuff lately, he'll post some random gear demos and he did an afterparty at DFN last year or the year before.  He also posted on fb awhile back that he has material ready for shows, and for people to please book him. Alright! was so good, at least his last release was stellar.  But I'd like more, he was always a favorite artist of mine. 

But it's safe to say pretty much everyone has a day job.  I know datach'i, though not on rephlex, has a big career doing sound design for movies. A lot of small labels are run in the owner's free time outside of their 9-5.

Also not been on rephlex (as far as I know) but max Tundra does have a song about his day jobs!

Lights
I used to drive for a living, hairy arms fed the wheel thorough my palms
Twitching feet made patterns on pedals, reflexes honed in a twice-failed test
The pay man Lance kept me elastic bound in the echelons of West One
Slim chance of the odd long journey kept me clinging to him for too long
Locked in a car all day, came home and worked on Children At Play
I had no deal then, but I had fifty blank tapes in a bag waiting
I knew it wouldn't be long before I wrote Carbon Cones
Only last week, I noticed that the colours of the
Lights in my studio are the same as the ones you conjure in my mind
(Yellow and green, green pea green, cherry red and red and blue)
When my Amiga reads from a disk you know the
Green fills the room and your long summer dress fills my mind
My other jobs were none to speak of: "Make a coffee for the man in Avid One
Drop these lunches off then take this Betacam to a place on Dean Street"
Most posts seemed to involve the lifting of heavy boxes
A man of such small frame as I broke into several sweats a day
Whilst failing to procure even the hint of any musculature improvement
Heavy-lifting days are in the bin now, but I still dip into temping
Wearing the odd suit, attending the odd interview
Subsidising the drum programming you hear today
(Yellow and green, green pea green, cherry red and red and blue)
Just yesterday I was woken by a flashing of a
Light from my studio confirming that this timestretch was complete

Bogdan seems to be doing stuff lately, he'll post some random gear demos and he did an afterparty at DFN last year or the year before. He also posted on fb awhile back that he has material ready for shows, and for people to please book him. Alright! was so good, at least his last release was stellar. But I'd like more, he was always a favorite artist of mine.

But it's safe to say pretty much everyone has a day job. I know datach'i, though not on rephlex, has a big career doing sound design for movies. A lot of small labels are run in the owner's free time outside of their 9-5.

I think Bogdan's also involved with indie video game development, he's always posting that stuff on twitter.

aphex and squarepusher both have releases on Rephlex tho.

(but lol, I was just thinking the same thing).

No, they never released on Rephlax.

lmao i know i realized that after I posted it, my mind was on a tangent. I guess my point is, if you find it crazy to think about ex-rephlex artists having day jobs, realize even a lot of the "featured" artists here have day jobs or had to have day jobs at some point during even those times they were making some of their bigger records.

Bogdan seems to be doing stuff lately, he'll post some random gear demos and he did an afterparty at DFN last year or the year before. He also posted on fb awhile back that he has material ready for shows, and for people to please book him. Alright! was so good, at least his last release was stellar. But I'd like more, he was always a favorite artist of mine.

But it's safe to say pretty much everyone has a day job. I know datach'i, though not on rephlex, has a big career doing sound design for movies. A lot of small labels are run in the owner's free time outside of their 9-5.

I think Bogdan's also involved with indie video game development, he's always posting that stuff on twitter.

Yeah I read before that Bogdan does some programming stuff. Plus he's done quite a few remixes for people like Bjork so I'd imagine he's not doing too bad. Wish he would release more music though

Archived