IGNORED

Can we finally change the term: Intelligent Dance Music (IDM) ?! And let's nominate a new term. Suggest one.

MaartenVC

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like we should be so far beyond ever bringing this up again. Just leave it alone, let it be. It is imperfect, it serves a function, plebs focus upon it, we barely notice it anymore. It's like a so-so national anthem, meh, focus upon more important things.

6 minutes ago, cern said:

Why do everyone hate the term IDM? Just asking for a friend 

I think due to the full name sounding a bit elitist and negative sounding. Though I just say IDM anyway since “intelligent” just sounds a bit douchey even if the music itself is experimental and complex. plus the artists hate the full name

8 minutes ago, President Squidward said:
14 minutes ago, cern said:

Why do everyone hate the term IDM? Just asking for a friend 

I think due to the full name sounding a bit elitist and negative sounding. Though I just say IDM anyway since “intelligent” just sounds a bit douchey even if the music itself is experimental and complex. plus the artists hate the full name

It also attracts people who think that it makes them seem Very Intelligent when they can say they listen to Intelligent Music.

Also there's nothing paritcularly intelligent about IDM, is there? It's just abstract and not so dancefloor frienly. It's not like you have to be a genius to enjoy Aphex Twin.

There was a discussion on the list itself regarding changing the moniker from IDM to ELM - Electronic Listening Music - so there was an attempt to rectify the situation, but it really was too late at that point, too. If you take into account that the I in IDM had more to do with Warp's Artificial Intelligence compilation than the actual intelligence of the people listening to it might give it some more perspective. I wrote about this on the list in 2008: 

Personally, I think IDM should be used as a name as-is, not as an acronym with an expansion; the expanded version has too many interpretations and semantic/historic baggage.

(Yeah, full disclosure: I was there almost from the beginning, making me a pretentious trainspotting no-life IDM geezer snob.)

it's been out there for far too long, don't think changing the acronym would stick. it might have been able to have been changed back in the mid '90s, which are like 25+ years ago. plus, changing it now would be like changing the name on the Sears tower. everyone knows that building as the Sears tower, even though it is called something else now that not as many people can name.

Archived