IGNORED

Black Lives Matter

Braintree

Y’all better hope that this was some actual psyops, cause this combined with the BS in the CHOP/CHAZ is going to turn off the average American quicker than Trump synaptical connection failing

3 minutes ago, Psychotronic said:

How about forming a proper left wing party instead of all of that bullshit. The US has none. Democrats are mid/right compared to European standards.

that was/is what Bernie Sanders was all about.. there's a new left forming but so far all it's doing is influencing the democratic platform. (hopefully).  a progressive party is happening but it's background stuff. i'm sure this movement will be a part of it in some way. 

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

"not all statues... "

I think it's getting to the point that some people are tearing down statues and they don't even know who the fuck they are.  Washington and Jefferson owned slaves, but they helped build this country, and Jefferson's lover Sally Hemings was his slave.  Not perfect men by any means, but it's easy to get caught up in group hysteria, wanting to be on the side of right, and a part of something bigger than yourself.  Especially if you think it can change the world for the better.

• Like 3

https://lithub.com/we-cant-ignore-h-p-lovecrafts-white-supremacy/

If the goal is to highlight the genius of the author, why not make the statuette reflective of his universe rather than of the literal face of the man himself? After all, Lovecraft was the creator of an influential cosmos replete with landscapes of unfathomable monsters and profound alien architectures. There is no drought in the search for Lovecraftian imagery to pay homage to his legacy and precedent in the field of weird fiction.

A couple of female friends have confided that BLM has made them a bit scared of black people.  Well, now you know how men feel about feminism sweetheart. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1

On 6/20/2020 at 2:22 PM, ignatius said:

My son has a couple of friends that went to the skate protest. I wish I went to it.

• Like 4

You know how many black dudes are gettin some sweet white pusssy right now. sheeeeeet. 

Ok. that was over the top. sorry

Anyway, we all go to see Caligula in the museum. Time is the only difference here

Edited by marf

On 6/21/2020 at 8:23 AM, chenGOD said:

Y’all better hope that this was some actual psyops, cause this combined with the BS in the CHOP/CHAZ is going to turn off the average American quicker than Trump synaptical connection failing

what does this post even mean? the only BS happening in the CHOP is far right extremists doing drive-by shootings

4 hours ago, hijexx said:

Beau drops the mic on statues

I'm not saying there's no such thing as structural or institutional racism, but the fact that most (all?) of the founding fathers were racist isn't good evidence that it exists, 250 years after these guys were around. Most of the actual institutions supporting racism in the US have been dismantled, all that's really left at this point is a few shitty judges and the historical consequences of past racism. The fundamentals of the US are no longer structurally racist. 

8 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

what does this post even mean? the only BS happening in the CHOP is far right extremists doing drive-by shootings

The "far-right extremists doing drive-by shootings" theory has been dismissed in the first shooting, and is still only a theory in the second shooting.

And I find it very interesting that the CHOP Solidarity Committee feels the need to have centralized control of security forces for efficiencies.

As well blaming capitalism for shooting someone is about as accurate as blaming violent video games (not at all).

The BS I was referring to though, is that people in the zone seem to want to defund the police, but not understand the consequences of those actions. Medics and firefighters do not go into unsecured situations anywhere. I'm not arguing against putting in place de-escalation techniques, or reducing the paramilitary culture in the police, but to simply say "we don't want police anywhere any time" is not a viable argument.

4 minutes ago, caze said:

I'm not saying there's no such thing as structural or institutional racism, but the fact that most (all?) of the founding fathers were racist isn't good evidence that it exists, 250 years after these guys were around. Most of the actual institutions supporting racism in the US have been dismantled, all that's really left at this point is a few shitty judges and the historical consequences of past racism. The fundamentals of the US are no longer structurally racist. 

many people will argue that the entire criminal justice system is racist. i wouldn't disagree w/that personally. sure there's been lot's of progress but still a long long long way to go imo. 

"historical consequences of past racism" is just splitting hairs really.. call it whatever you want. we've yet to overcome those consequences as a culture and society. 

you don't have to look far to find many instances of racist policies being carried out by government departments. it's not long ago there were 'sundown' laws in lot's of places that made it illegal for black people or chinese people etc to be out after sun down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

there's a very real difference between institutional racism (where laws are explicitly prejudicial), and very hard to understand 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) order social and cultural things. it's important to distinguish the two. most of the modern anti-racism stuff you see in this activism and from academic sources is grossly oversimplified and lacking in empirical justification.

• Facepalm 3

9 minutes ago, caze said:

there's a very real difference between institutional racism (where laws are explicitly prejudicial), and very hard to understand 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) order social and cultural things. it's important to distinguish the two. most of the modern anti-racism stuff you see in this activism and from academic sources is grossly oversimplified and lacking in empirical justification.

if you say so. ?‍♂️

I think a lot of things like police brutality or anecdotal stories you hear from black people and think “... oh shit” are really effects of the war on drugs and how it started the trend of treating some American citizens as enemies. Race might be too narrow of a thing to focus on, but the effects of our history linger. I have no idea if that makes sense. 

I was cool with toppling Confederate statues. They’re traitors. But some of the other statues are of your friends, broskis.