IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

Just received my CD copy of SIGN.  Now, I have been defending the album art on this one from the beginning, but sadly I gotta say the CD packaging really feels a cop out.  Clearly the design efforts went into the vinyl packaging and then the CD packaging was thrown together as an afterthought.  And it's not just the design that comes off sub par; the quality of the cardstock feels flimsy and built to budget, like getting business cards from Vista Print rather than Moo for example.

Oh well, still happy to support the duo with a physical purchase as I do appreciate the physical medium as an archival backup.

2 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

I’m a huge fan of stupid music that's just a bunch of sounds like if 5 rooms away some one wearing a suit of armor was vigorously fucking his collection of shields.

flololol 

never a disappointment 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

i'm a huge fan of stupid music that's just a bunch of sounds like if 5 rooms away some one wearing a suit of armor was vigorously fucking his collection of shields

oh my fucking god

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, modey said:
3 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

i'm a huge fan of stupid music that's just a bunch of sounds like if 5 rooms away some one wearing a suit of armor was vigorously fucking his collection of shields

oh my fucking god

image.jpeg.a10d7f5b44ffdb7bd073a79f184dfa4d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

4 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

alco review by alco:

...it starts off with your typical ae bullshit... 

holy shit I'm already dying

Thank the non-existent God for you, Alco, you prince of undead princes.

• Like 1

Do you like The Brothers? I've been a big Autechre fan ever since the release of their 2001 album, Confield. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too ambient, too up-front. It was on Confield where Sean Booth's presence became more apparent. I think SIGN was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe.

Listen to the brilliant Max/MSP patching of Booth and Brown. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of sampling craftsmanship, the sheer generativeness, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the reverb in Metaz form8. In this song, Sean Booth addresses the problems of abusive political authority.

M4 Lema is the most moving IDM song of the 2020s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their synthesised drum hits are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole.

Sean Booth's album with Mika Vainio and Kouhei Matsunaga, 3. Telepathics Meh In-Sect Connection, seems to be less commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like Mika And Kouhei And Sean. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Sean works best within the confines of Autechre, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

This is Kouhei And Sean, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

• Like 11
  • Burger 5
  • Farnsworth 1

Geeked the tracks have warmth as the cover art promised. So far I'm having feelings for M4 Lema & Metaz form8. And sch.mefd 2 is delightful, a perfect blend of fuckery and restraint, and funky as hell, and maybe the coldest thing on the album, and maybe the track I've been waiting for. Otherwise a lot of delicious Vangelisness happening in the tracks. I heart it.

writing about music is really hard for most people.

Here's my review: It's really fucking good, much better than the cover art. not sure about that harmonica.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

After a decade of composing increasingly difficult music, the experimental duo offers a reprieve.

jfc pitchfork fuck off what are you even talking about? 

edit: also i wonder i fthere's a bonus?

eccf16a26a457110b514601165c5e4e8ed5c9956

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 4

it's reviewspeak, you just pile a bunch of clichés on top of eachother and drizzle some academic words over the top.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

hers my review its lush shit ur mouths

I was not shitting on watmm if I came off like that, reviewers who make their living from writing nonsense on the other hand, not so impressed by them.

I came off :nelson:

the boys drizzled their knobs in thick lush slippery synth pads, penetrating and allowing the genre of idm for decades to come, releasing the urdge to dance brainingly, not only with the legs but with the mind, expanded by the oscillations to tubescent proportions, and yet the desire to reach the climax is abated by the desire to obtain Sign 2, Green Version.  when its coming to this release, less is more

2 minutes ago, Silent Member said:

I was not shitting on watmm if I came off like that, reviewers who make their living from writing nonsense on the other hand, not so impressed by them.

I came off :nelson:

ahah i dont understand im way too high on sign to know what this post means but il leave it at that

• Haha 2