IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

Wonderful album. Exactly what I need right now. Can't really remember the last time a new AE-release made me so satisfied. As always, it's not for everyone, but that Guardian-review is kinda cringeworthy. "Crowded dystopian soundworld?" No one else is in Autechres soundworld, you lazy prick. "Negative space?" Can't imagine a more positive space tbh.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Wurstwasser said:

Well, you will go through a lot of disappointment, pain, self lying, fanboyism. You may even like it. But let's be honest. Confield, Elseq, NTS, this is where they were on the summit.

Summit Is Gone Now.

i like how Elseq and NTS are still on this summit, but regardless it is 'gone now'.

btw i've started to take both of those releases more seriously - the live stream was just the wake-up call i needed for post-Exai ae. i'm finding gems in those sessions and i might even be digging deep into the AE_LIVE haystack. i'll be riding this high for weeks to come ⚡

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Realistically, if the rumored second "green" album has been written (as Sookie alluded) and manufactured/pressed (as some dude's mate said he worked at the place and saw it), when are we thinking it's coming out?  I truly hope it's not another Move of Ten or L-event, but rather its own thing. Not that I dont like SIGN. It's truly beautiful. And I'm glad they gave a whole album to this approach. But if the next album is just more of this or this is the new normal moving forward, I'd be a little disappointed.

I'm seeing the casual fan/average music nerd really digging SIGN, but the diehard fanboy's still wishing there was something more (add me to that list). Anyways, it was interesting what Salami said about SIGN being an initialization in that one interview. 

It'd actually be sick if they had an entire hour's worth of a new live performance for the SIGN tour, and because of COVID they just took the best take possible, polished the shit out of it like a proper album release and put that out as their next album. They've never done a one song proper canonical "album" before.

• Like 2

Sean said two albums iirc. Oversteps/MOT were an album and a related EP. they’re generally specific about those kind of classifications, so i’m assuming the green one is a full, separate ‘album’ to be viewed as such, even if it is in some way related to/from the same time-frame as SIGN

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, auxien said:

if you're using a Pitchfork review to bolster your argument

you're probably making a silly argument

because Pitchfork is worthless trash and has been for many many years.

I'm always surprised people still go to Pitchfork at all.  It's like the music news equivalent of People magazine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, gl0tch said:

Realistically, if the rumored second "green" album has been written (as Sookie alluded) and manufactured/pressed (as some dude's mate said he worked at the place and saw it), when are we thinking it's coming out?  I truly hope it's not another Move of Ten or L-event, but rather its own thing. Not that I dont like SIGN. It's truly beautiful. And I'm glad they gave a whole album to this approach. But if the next album is just more of this or this is the new normal moving forward, I'd be a little disappointed.

I'm seeing the casual fan/average music nerd really digging SIGN, but the diehard fanboy's still wishing there was something more (add me to that list). Anyways, it was interesting what Salami said about SIGN being an initialization in that one interview. 

It'd actually be sick if they had an entire hour's worth of a new live performance for the SIGN tour, and because of COVID they just took the best take possible, polished the shit out of it like a proper album release and put that out as their next album. They've never done a one song proper canonical "album" before.

it's been alluded to (i only noticed this morning, looking at my LP) that the inner outline of the orange ring is identical to the "e" from this recent artwork for the live material:

a.png

this is tDr's abstract rendition of the letters A and E. the outline on the cover of SIGN matches the shape on the right perfectly, same angle and everything. it implies - in the subtlest possible way - that there could be another album cover matching the "a" on the left.

people have also mentioned a green album cover, but i don't know where that idea came from. if you open up the gatefold LP cover for Oversteps, it opens right out into an emblem which is green on the inside (maybe someone sort of remembered that? the SIGN lp doesn't fold out though.)

23 minutes ago, gl0tch said:

yeah i agree MOT and L-event were a bit underwhelming compared to the albums they stem from, although i recall the boys saying MOT was kind of its own thing... but i may be remembering wrong too

nah, i consider myself diehard ae fan and i loved SIGN much more than NTS and elseq (in general but it has its gems) it is not because it is more accessible that it is necessairly less well-constructed (think Oversteps/ Tri Rep for example)

that live polished thing you say is awesome

58 minutes ago, Dragon said:

i like how Elseq and NTS are still on this summit, but regardless it is 'gone now'.

btw i've started to take both of those releases more seriously - the live stream was just the wake-up call i needed for post-Exai ae. i'm finding gems in those sessions and i might even be digging deep into the AE_LIVE haystack. i'll be riding this high for weeks to come ⚡

Two years ago, these guys were on the top of their game; now, they're hasbeens (sarcasm)

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Dragon said:

it's been alluded to (i only noticed this morning, looking at my LP) that the inner outline of the orange ring is identical to the "e" from this recent artwork for the live material:

a.png

this is tDr's abstract rendition of the letters A and E. the outline on the cover of SIGN matches the shape on the right perfectly, same angle and everything. it implies - in the subtlest possible way - that there could be another album cover matching the "a" on the left.

people have also mentioned a green album cover, but i don't know where that idea came from. if you open up the gatefold LP cover for Oversteps, it opens right out into an emblem which is green on the inside (maybe someone sort of remembered that? the SIGN lp doesn't fold out though.)

This has been discussed at length in this thread. the sign cover consists of 2 "a" and 2 "e" shapes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wurstwasser said:

OK, I have to say, unfortunately, SIGN is not my cup of tea. It is just so uninteresting. Yes, some layering, but still, it sounds lazy, uninspired, IDK. Even from the sound design perspective as a last resort, nothing interesting there.

Will probably very sporadically return to it. Sigh. 

Well, points for honesty. 

Having been listening to the duo since 1994, I've long ago learned early negative impressions can give way to favor over time.  I had a very hard time clicking with Draft when it was first released.  I shelved it, listened periodically, scratched my head and shelved it again.  Then one day, a few years later, it finally clicked.  I now think Draft a fantastic album.  I've never had that problem with any other ae album to such the same degree.  Heck, I can't now understand why Draft didn't click back in 2003.

It seems each and every time a new ae album comes out, there are a slew of 'don't get it' 'don't like the new direction', etc opinions, which largely seem to disappear over the subsequent years.  I distinctly remember much negativity cast towards Oversteps when it first released, with many claiming it was too simple, even pandering after the intricacy Untilted/Draft/Confield.  Fast forward to the present and all I see is praise for Oversteps.  Funny how that happens. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scumtron said:

but that Guardian-review is kinda cringeworthy. "Crowded dystopian soundworld?" No one else is in Autechres soundworld, you lazy prick. "Negative space?" Can't imagine a more positive space tbh.

"crowded market".. fuck off guardian. sounds like that spotify ceo´s comments about musicians having to adapt to (his) market

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/oct/16/autechre-sign-review-warp

Edited by markedone
  • Like 1

Totally in love with this album. I'm finding that I'll listen to it all each time, rather than dipping into specific tracks; probably some conditioning from NTS, and Elseq.

It's been nice sharing the listening experience with friends, haven't been able to do that with an Autechre album since 1995. Mentioning Autechre is usually met with eye rolls. 

10 minutes ago, markedone said:

"crowded market"- yeah.. fuck off guardian.  sounds like that spotify ceo´s comments about musicians having to adapt to (his) market

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/oct/16/autechre-sign-review-warp

I really don't get/or see the point of reviews anymore, at least in "trad" publications like that anyway. Pointless. Sure it's just an extension of marketing, and Warp gotta send those demos out... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bodywithoutorgans said:

t's been nice sharing the listening experience with friends, haven't been able to do that with an Autechre album since 1995. Mentioning Autechre is usually met with eye rolls. 

I feel your pain; absolutely none of my physical friends listen to Autechre.  Boards, check.  Aphex, check.  Meat Beat, check.  etc, but Autechre has proven too obtuse.  'tis nice to share the experience with folks online, at least.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, tailings said:

I feel your pain; absolutely none of my physical friends listen to Autechre.  Boards, check.  Aphex, check.  Meat Beat, check.  etc, but Autechre has proven too obtuse.  'tis nice to share the experience with folks online, at least.

Yeah, even online can be good, if it's the only option open. I've only dipped into this forum over the years, but it's always interesting to see strong felt experiences, positive and negative, especially for SIGN.

• Like 1

After sitting with the preorder for a week or so and now listening to it again today, I have to say this album fuckin rules. Bear in mind, if I had to give you my fave Ae album before this it would be either Oversteps or Untilted. It's just a sonic cavalcade that really unfurls after a few listens. 

M4 Lema is an amazing opener and it feels like their rig is just getting going in the beginning. This is probably my favorite "beat" track on the album. The end reminds me a bit of Altibzz. 

F7 is reminiscent of known(1), a personal favorite of mine. This has some Bronchusevenmx vibes as well near the back half. 

si00 is growing on me, a little too bubbly

esc desc is an amazing ambient swell

au14 reminds me of elseq/NTS output

Metaz form8 is a true highlight. Someone else described this like Vangelis and I can see it. This is hauntingly beautiful sci-fi if I've ever heard it

sch.mefd2 is decent, again remins me of elseq/NTS, with maybe a hint of Move Of Ten

gr4 is a cool little diddy, a great headphone piece with lots of great stereo phasing, sounds a little generative

th red A is another fave of mine. Those real buzzy stabs and the deep deep bass that comes through periodically is a pleasure

psin AM begins like a sped up "Everything You Do Is A Balloon" by boc, but this is a good chill down piece

r cazt easily has to be their best album closer since idk when, and that is a tough feat. YJY UX is masterful, Yuop is an amazing one, but this transcends all of them and really pummels you

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jules said:

This has been discussed at length in this thread. the sign cover consists of 2 "a" and 2 "e" shapes.

it is true, both letters are intertwined in the cover, but the "a" is like a ghost, while the "e" has a dominant role, and is the only one to be full. This gives hope for the same treatment for the "a"