IGNORED

when it doesn't click

Draft78

On 9/29/2020 at 3:40 PM, sine nomine said:

tac Lacora for me really highlights my point about their playfulness with repetion and of course there's also their trademark stroke of genius 'irresolution to order' (entropy) which mostly if not always becomes seamlessly structured in it of itself - within a track or leading to another. 

Let's not forget the Dilankex rmx for Oberman Knocks. Must be in the same era as Cat Lacora. Itis even in my "2016 Favourites" playlist. That means a lot ?

611 Time Out  - didn't click for me first. But that changed. Awesome Ae disco headbanger for me.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Wurstwasser said:

Let's not forget the Dilankex rmx for Oberman Knocks. Must be in the same era as Cat Lacora. Itis even in my "2016 Favourites" playlist. That means a lot ?

611 Time Out  - didn't click for me first. But that changed. Awesome Ae disco headbanger for me.

OMG, cannot edit any more, copy/paste error. I mean the 611 track is in my 2016 playlist - lel

Edited by Guest
when it doesn't edit

2 hours ago, Wurstwasser said:

OMG, cannot edit any more, copy/paste error. I mean the 611 track is in my 2016 playlist - lel

in my case there is no click yet...  i'm fine with the melody with the arpeggiator, but it seems a little bit to me, and in any case it has no Ae identity. However, we must consider that it's a track intended for a videogame, it's likely that they have adapted to the request.

Edited by Draft78

18 minutes ago, ooqpoo said:

dilankex remix is a rollercoaster of a track

AE_LIVE still hasn't really clicked, it's so abstract and disjointed can't find the groove! same goes for onesix ?

Gets pretty groovy when they slaughter dubstep with that bass from hell - ie ashaville @20:26 mark. plenty of other groovy snipets sprinkled on those sets iirc. 

:music:

5 hours ago, ooqpoo said:

dilankex remix is a rollercoaster of a track

AE_LIVE still hasn't really clicked, it's so abstract and disjointed can't find the groove! same goes for onesix ?

The dilankex remix means the world to me. I love it so much. Had to listen to it many times, carefully, to understand.

As for AE_LIVE, you can (and should) head-nod continuously at the same tempo, start-to-finish, through most of the sets :music: 

I'm still grappling with onesix, too. 

Edited by joseph
  • Like 1

when a confield first came out it didn't click for me and then i fell asleep while listening to it with headphones and when i woke up it made more sense to me. maybe try that ? if it doesn't click.

• Thanks 1

Sadly I don't know if I'll ever be able to enjoy four of seven (apart from the last couple of minutes). The timbres actually make me physically uncomfortable, namely the "snare" and the high frequency/ringmod sound that accompanies it, although tbqh I find the whole arrangement offputting. Just can't listen to it. 

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, Valleyfold said:

Pro Radii and Sublimit are the weak points of Untilted

All Perlences suck except Suns and Sublimit 3

Ok, that’s it...

BANNED

• Thanks 8

lol come on guys you just gotta keep listening until the stockholm syndrome kicks in. like.. feed1 still sounds like a claustrophobic nightmare, but I let it trick me into liking it so it's chill.

• Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 1

A lot of the sonic elements in Quaristice are quite grating to me, with these two in particular:

bnc Castl - This one sounds like dial-up internet in the most obnoxious way.

fwze - I've always wondered if this track is just a joke that didn't land with me.  The filter modulation is so extreme and distracting that it can't possibly be sincere.  I wish I could universally delete it from the album.

In general, I never really liked Quaristice that much.  Every track feels like it's on a strict time limit and it's trying to get everything across as economically as possible.  I've always preferred the alternate takes for that reason.  If Quaristice were released today, they probably would have done an elseq-style release, with much more drawn out ideas.

On an unrelated note, I personally imagine that fol3 is Autechre's take on Coil's track "Chaostrophy" from Love's Secret Domain.  Does anyone else get this feeling ?

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 6:42 PM, toaoaoad said:

Sadly I don't know if I'll ever be able to enjoy four of seven (apart from the last couple of minutes). The timbres actually make me physically uncomfortable, namely the "snare" and the high frequency/ringmod sound that accompanies it, although tbqh I find the whole arrangement offputting. Just can't listen to it. 

I fully agree.  Why they decided to put that snare in that piece is one of the great autechre mysteries to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's a lot of hate for bnc Castl. I thought it was silly and annoying at first too, but in the end it is redeemed by its sheer unique-ness. I'd say the same for a lot of Quaristice, and I guess in the end what "clicked" about the album is that it works best taken as a whole, so the weaker tracks and wtf moments are parts of the bigger picture. I like the shorter track durations for that reason. 

The same could be said for NTS except you're having to endure the less likeable tracks for much longer, and less likely to take in the entire picture in one sitting. I can see four of seven as another one of those wtfs (like bqbqbq or fLh) and they each fit into the bigger diverse picture of NTS but it's harder to just let them go by as it's an 8+ minute investment and aural fatigue is a real thing?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drillkicker said:

fwze - I've always wondered if this track is just a joke that didn't land with me.

Personally I find it one of the best tracks on the album.

ae cum alive in the dark. close yo eyes, rest yo braaain n' watch it creepin' up, on tha empty horizon of yo mind, it comin at ya like an encroachin' storm at nite, yo feel alrite. 

17 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

There's a lot of hate for bnc Castl. I thought it was silly and annoying at first too, but in the end it is redeemed by its sheer unique-ness. I'd say the same for a lot of Quaristice, and I guess in the end what "clicked" about the album is that it works best taken as a whole, so the weaker tracks and wtf moments are parts of the bigger picture. I like the shorter track durations for that reason.

ok - i've always really, really liked bnc Castl. any of you who don't like this track, and also don't like Mike and Rich EKT, or Clark's early EPs - can you recommend similar music to hate/enjoy?

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 2:10 AM, joseph said:

The dilankex remix means the world to me. I love it so much. Had to listen to it many times, carefully, to understand.

Exactly my thoughts on Dilankex rmx. It's too complex to understand its inner logic at first. Typically this e. g. applies to longer works like classical symphonies.

But this one is the Autechre work where I felt that increase of understanding the most.

On 10/10/2020 at 4:34 PM, drillkicker said:

I fully agree.  Why they decided to put that snare in that piece is one of the great autechre mysteries to me.

because it bangs, and makes the track a full on electro / kraftwerk homage.  four of seven is easily one of my favs from nts :music:

could def see some breakers throwing down the cardboard when this track comes on

Edited by markedone

On 10/10/2020 at 11:34 PM, drillkicker said:

Well, my snare problem occurs one step before Four of Seven (which I like the way it is: the snare is filtered to the point that it sounds like something else, maybe the sum of two sounds, twisted by a reckless parameterized chorus). Even today I can hardly stand the gonk steady one snare: 22 minutes without mercy, with the same timbre, sandy and detached from the rest of the track (which instead seduced me), sometimes aggravated by a short-range delay, which seems the result of an accidentally pressed button.

:catrage:

• 3 years later...