IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

watched the first ep of the night of. pretty good. guy has a hilariously large mountain of evidence stacked up against him, so the show seems to be setting itself up for some ridiculous writing later on.

I'm in the middle of Stranger Things, definitely going to finish it this weekend. It's way better than I expected, keeps surprising me with how consistent and intriguing it manages to be.

I never did catch Super 8. It was too hyped then get mixed reviews so I never bothered to watch it. I'd imagine it treads the same nostalgic trends, but honestly the 80s tone of Stranger Things is pretty light in its relation to actual content. The story feels very much like a modern Sci-Fi with just nods to the past. Just finished the series and it was good right til the end.

Re: Mr. Robot, I'm praying none of these dumb fan/recap writer theories come true. It would the quickest show has turned to shit since Homeland (which was never 1/10 as good as MRR).

I never did catch Super 8. It was too hyped then get mixed reviews so I never bothered to watch it. I'd imagine it treads the same nostalgic trends, but honestly the 80s tone of Stranger Things is pretty light in its relation to actual content. The story feels very much like a modern Sci-Fi with just nods to the past. Just finished the series and it was good right til the end.

I'll give it a look then, the concept sounds like it has some potential.

That second season opener for mr robot was great. The opening scene with Phil Collins' "Take me Home" building in the background was outstanding.

There's theory going round that Elliot is in prison, it makes some strong points.

I feel like I need to rewatch season 1, since apparently my short term memory is non-existent.

^ dunno, I'm having a hard time recalling stuff from Mr Robot as well - even the season 2 opener I don't remember much (plot wise).. maybe it's the writing, not your memory..

Loved Stranger Things. The music is awesome, created by members of SURVIVE. The ending might leave a bit to be desired but on the whole it is exactly want I want to be experiencing in my films/tv shows Well done sci/fi with synth music and the best Stephen King I have ever seen on film, even though he had nothing to do with it. Might be why it works so well, a bit Carpenter, King, Cronenberg makes for an awesome cake. 7.5/10

I'm giving Hannibal a go. It's such a difficult show to judge. The visuals are amazing and the soundtrack is probably the best and most innovative I've heard on a TV show - literally zero boring motifs being rehashed over and over again, something even strong soundtracks like The Knick suffer from - instead it's shock-full of crazy drones and avantgarde percussion, all recorded live in a fancy studio, and it's always something new. Some of the craziest scoring I've heard at times, utterly amazing. The show itself, however, is problematic. On the surface, it's an on-the-rails CSI-like whodunit except there are never any doubts about the culprit because the lead character has superhuman observational abilities (that predictably enough are a huge problem for him), and somehow they run into one morbid murder after another to the point that it almost gets laughable. This whole shtick serves as the backdrop for the psychological interplay between the various FBI agents and a younger Hannibal, all of which is expertly pulled off, and Mikkelsen is terrific in every scene, a true master of subdued tension and manipulation. Then we're back to another dumb surreal whodunit segment and it's so boring or hard to buy but the music is so fresh and I can't wait to see the next thing Hannibal does.. and that's kind of what it's like following the show.

two eps into stranger things. is there an original idea anywhere in this show? so far it seems to be on autopilot, although it is pleasant enough in its 80s/spielberg/king nostalgia. i just don't see what the big deal is.

Hannibal drops the new serial killer per episode motif as it carries on, fortunately.

Edited by Gocab

two eps into stranger things. is there an original idea anywhere in this show? so far it seems to be on autopilot, although it is pleasant enough in its 80s/spielberg/king nostalgia. i just don't see what the big deal is.

I'm also two episodes in and about ready to quit. I don't get it. Edited by doublename

what don't you get? the show relies pretty heavily on 80s spielberg nostalgia and tangerine dream-like synthmusic, which obviously doesn't appeal to you. for me it would be a lesser show if you took away those elements. the actual plot etc isn't exactly original.

it's mostly style over substance, and im completely fine with that (though i did like most of the characters and the writing as well).

Edited by data

I'm also two episodes in and about ready to quit. I don't get it.

Um, dudes, it's a tv show. It's supposed to just be an entertaining hour of a story. It's not full of buried subplots relating obscure references to try and explain the human metaphysical struggle; it's just a fun tv show and that's all it's trying to be. I think it succeeds. I'm not usually into that, but this one floated my boat. If you're not into it in the first two episodes it's not for you. Hell, I'd say if you watch a trailer for it and aren't interested, it's probably not for you. It's a pretty straightforward show.

Wrapped up watching The Wire last month. Probably in my top 5 TV shows.

Halfway through season 3 of The Sopranos and loving it so far.

I've got a lot of catching up to do on loads of different series because I never watched much TV as a kid aside from The Simpsons and South Park.

I'm giving Hannibal a go. It's such a difficult show to judge. The visuals are amazing and the soundtrack is probably the best and most innovative I've heard on a TV show - literally zero boring motifs being rehashed over and over again, something even strong soundtracks like The Knick suffer from - instead it's shock-full of crazy drones and avantgarde percussion, all recorded live in a fancy studio, and it's always something new. Some of the craziest scoring I've heard at times, utterly amazing. The show itself, however, is problematic. On the surface, it's an on-the-rails CSI-like whodunit except there are never any doubts about the culprit because the lead character has superhuman observational abilities (that predictably enough are a huge problem for him), and somehow they run into one morbid murder after another to the point that it almost gets laughable. This whole shtick serves as the backdrop for the psychological interplay between the various FBI agents and a younger Hannibal, all of which is expertly pulled off, and Mikkelsen is terrific in every scene, a true master of subdued tension and manipulation. Then we're back to another dumb surreal whodunit segment and it's so boring or hard to buy but the music is so fresh and I can't wait to see the next thing Hannibal does.. and that's kind of what it's like following the show.

I felt the same about the first season. I would say stick with it though. It definitely finds it's footing in season 2 and makes for an entertaining watch. The show was exceedingly up it's own arse, but in a good way.

another seriously impressive ep of the night of. i remember i've said this about better call saul, but i think that tv has a clear advantage on tv when it comes to showcasing process that sometimes takes a long time and that movie format can't afford. and it seems that detailed showcasing the process and the experience of it by involved people is all this show is about rather than dramatization. last sequence of that ep was really powerful with that droney score blending in with the ambient sounds and the naturalistic fade to black.

another seriously impressive ep of the night of. i remember i've said this about better call saul, but i think that tv has a clear advantage on tv when it comes to showcasing process that sometimes takes a long time and that movie format can't afford. and it seems that detailed showcasing the process and the experience of it by involved people is all this show is about rather than dramatization. last sequence of that ep was really powerful with that droney score blending in with the ambient sounds and the naturalistic fade to black.

show is really good. one thing:

how has no one pointed out that nasir had no blood on him when the girl was stabbed dozens of times and had blood all over her wall. they know he didn't have time to change or wash up. surprised the detective is "positive" on this.

they know he didn't have time to change or wash up.

i actually don't remember them dealing with much forensic stuff yet, i think one of the things that will raise questions is the long period between girl's time of death (though i'm not sure how accurately it can be determined with today's means) and the moment the neighbor saw him ran out of the building.