IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

started mr robot yesterday. watched fhe first two episodes and my wife kept saying "this show is so stupid." i didn't think it was that bad but i think i'm gonna be on my own with this one. it did come of as a bit lol anarchy teen angsty though

yeh dunno, would it be better if it were less sincere about all the themes...? i feel it's mostly good but also a bit cringe..

Preacher... ugh.. still has moments and some interesting bits/characters but why did they have to drown the concept in a cocktail of mediocre christian good/bad morality smalltown tv drama pish...

Edited by Guest

yeh dunno, would it be better if it were less sincere about all the themes...? i feel it's mostly good but also a bit cringe..

Preacher... ugh.. still has moments and some interesting bits/characters but why did they have to drown the concept in a cocktail of mediocre christian good/bad morality smalltown tv drama pish...

preacher is so weird. i was rereading the trade editions of the comics the other day. it's edgy and still pretty funny in its teenage way. the show is so rarely even humorous. i have no idea what they're trying to do. i guess a prequel? seems totally divorced from the comics which is bizarre because i thought rogan and goldberg were really into them.

another seriously impressive ep of the night of. i remember i've said this about better call saul, but i think that tv has a clear advantage on tv when it comes to showcasing process that sometimes takes a long time and that movie format can't afford. and it seems that detailed showcasing the process and the experience of it by involved people is all this show is about rather than dramatization. last sequence of that ep was really powerful with that droney score blending in with the ambient sounds and the naturalistic fade to black.

this has been amazing. thanks for the rec

preacher is quite enjoyable, the main character is really hard to get over sometimes though. his acting in the episode after the eugene incident was really, really strange, it didnt give off any whiff of guilt or confliction. seems like a program that might settle into its stride in the second season possibly.

preacher is quite enjoyable, the main character is really hard to get over sometimes though. his acting in the episode after the eugene incident was really, really strange, it didnt give off any whiff of guilt or confliction. seems like a program that might settle into its stride in the second season possibly.

One of the main problems with the show is the Preacher. He's just not likable. The supporting cast is much more enjoyable in the series. I'll reserve full judgement of the show until the S1 finale & see where it's all going. It's just kinda meandering between some cool scenes and boredom. I do find it humorous though.

Stranger things has a neat soundtrack.

6cie5UI.png

btw: started watching this last night. it's pretty good but not as great as i thought considering the rave reviews it has been getting. it's kinda like a mixture of ET, amazing stories, tales from the darkside and goonies.

i think the casting of the cops is probably the biggest letdown- the parents and kids all sell the story, but the cops kinda don't fit who they're supposed to be. neither do the scientist/conspiracy people.

production design is really good and i like the d&d gaming (although i noticed, for jr high kids, they have only posters of films and none of saturday morning cartoons or atari?)

It's weird how different they made Jessie's character from the comic version. Maybe they felt that tough-talking, arse-kicking, cowboy wouldn't play well in 2016.

You just have to ride with the callowness of MR. Robot sometimes. I think it generally overcomes its most eye-rolling moments.

Agreed.

Does anyone else think it's Tyrell behind the hack on Scott Knowles (current CTO of Evil Corp)?

You just have to ride with the callowness of MR. Robot sometimes. I think it generally overcomes its most eye-rolling moments.

Agreed.

Does anyone else think it's Tyrell behind the hack on Scott Knowles (current CTO of Evil Corp)?

Not sure what to think. The fantasy/reality lines are pretty blurred. Enjoyed last nights episode. Fun pill-popping montage. Also liked the design touch of the spinning dryer & the reflection in Elliot's pupils. Damn mac death wheel.

didn't like vice principals, it's to eastbound is kinda like hot fuzz was to shaun of the dead. it feels like it's very similar in style and packaging and even concept, but completely hollowed out of the brilliance of the predecessor.

fwiw i heard it gets really good about four eps into the season, we'll see. i thought it had potential in goggins performance which is always a joy to watch but i do agree, it's just a weak concept compared to eastbound. whoever said eastbound was only good for a season is crazy, that show ended on such a high note.

on paper "two douchebag, imbecile vice principals battle for school principalship" sounds more fun than "a douchebag, imbecile baseballer's adventures in modern day florida" actually, but the former is just not as sharply written when it comes to comedy. it just tries to f-bomb the funny in with brute force and it just falls flat most of the time.

although now that i think of it that "fucked up florida"/south settings added quite a lot to the feel of eastbound, and there's nothing of that kind in vp.

two eps into stranger things. is there an original idea anywhere in this show? so far it seems to be on autopilot, although it is pleasant enough in its 80s/spielberg/king nostalgia. i just don't see what the big deal is.

I'm also two episodes in and about ready to quit. I don't get it.

what don't you get? the show relies pretty heavily on 80s spielberg nostalgia and tangerine dream-like synthmusic, which obviously doesn't appeal to you. for me it would be a lesser show if you took away those elements. the actual plot etc isn't exactly original.

it's mostly style over substance, and im completely fine with that (though i did like most of the characters and the writing as well).

Lot of the sci-fi horror plot seems heavily influenced by anime / Japanese VG but transplanted into a Twin Peaks/Donnie Darko/[insert small forested American town here]-esque setting. I fucking love it.

Stranger things has a neat soundtrack.

6cie5UI.png

btw: started watching this last night. it's pretty good but not as great as i thought considering the rave reviews it has been getting. it's kinda like a mixture of ET, amazing stories, tales from the darkside and goonies.

i think the casting of the cops is probably the biggest letdown- the parents and kids all sell the story, but the cops kinda don't fit who they're supposed to be. neither do the scientist/conspiracy people.

production design is really good and i like the d&d gaming (although i noticed, for jr high kids, they have only posters of films and none of saturday morning cartoons or atari?)

Nice cassette j-card art.

I like how you found one gripe about them not having some other staples of a kid of that that year. But holy fuck huge kudos to the production and prop crew. EVERYTHING looks like it's from 1983. They even toned down the color editing to make it look like a HD 80s film and not some modern tv or film show with too much orange/blue color saturation (like Hot Tub Time Machine) and didn't go the rout of loud lazy, stereotypical props from the era. Every piece of furniture, every car, and every single item of clothing looks very accurate. It actually reminded me a lot of my grandparents house when I was a kid in the very early 90s - they hadn't bought anything new so it looked exactly as it did 10 years before that.

I persevered with Orange is the New black for 3 seasons and onto the fourth even though I never really thought it was brilliant, but something kept me watching. Now onto season 4 I think it's mach better than previous seasons. Only a few episodes from the end but it makes me want to watch from S1 again just to see if I view it in a more positive light second time around.