IGNORED

Would You Pay For A Digital Rip of The Unreleased Caustic Window LP

Joyrex

Crowdfunding Aphex Twin  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Be Willing To Pay Up To 25.00USD For A Digital Rip of The Unreleased Caustic Window LP?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but not 25.00

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started reading this thread with cautious optimism and finished it with raging horn.

I would like to thank all who made this possible, Joyrex, RepHlex, grant, Ginger Jesus, Gene Hackman, and Obama.

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

a question, this will be the first time ever that i will fund something on Kickstarter, do you have to have an account on Kickstarter in order to fund something?

a question, this will be the first time ever that i will fund something on Kickstarter, do you have to have an account on Kickstarter in order to fund something?

I second this question

Guest paulhunter

Yes, you have to, but it's easy. Just your nick and password. Then you'll add your credit card to back a project.

You also don't get charged until the project gets to its target, so those of you who can't afford it now will have a bit of time to get the money together.

Started reading this thread with cautious optimism and finished it with raging horn.

I would like to thank all who made this possible, Joyrex, RepHlex, grant, Ginger Jesus, Gene Hackman, and Obama.

Hornarama

So I've got a number of questions.

1. Are we buying the physical record from the seller or the rights to release it? Aren't these separate things?

2. The £5000 - is that the price for both?

3. If the Kickstarter or whatever meets it's goal, who does the money go to?

4. Does the physical record then get mailed to Joyrex? yes

5. Who puts the record on ebay?

6. The listing is still up? I don't understand what's going on here.

Rather than answering those i'll just quote JR

Apart from the unexpected news- well, why take a rip from the vinyl?

Are the original masters lost?

Joyrex, shed some light please.

That's the condition - rip from the vinyl only. I suspect it's more a case of finding 20 year old DATs than anything else...

gotta say glad to be wrong

I won't add the 'here' after wrong because that would be like suggesting that i'm never wrong anywhere else and only osci would do something like that. [-;

- I am glad it all worked out somehow, next thing for me to be cynical about is the kickstarter rules, as was mentioned, kickstarter has form for mucking around crowdfunding efforts (although something this under the radar), doing things like not releasing funds to that game developer which crushed the project etc. Maybe you should use startjoin instead, it's new to the scene and founded by max keiser so would be less likely to do strange things to a campaign that involves buying and ripping and reselling a music item. The advantage of the kickstarter is broader exposure to the project, and a more established name in that sphere, so i can understand why you'd want to use them.

- High Quality photos of the vinyl and packaging would be nice in the pack too.

- Are you doing a campaign video? I want to see the face of JR, pictures of that are rarer than sightings of CW. heh E-;

- Take names here before you do the kickstarter or those on here will be mightily disapointed if they miss out to some 18yr old edm kid from Alabama that decided to pay the money on a drunken whim.

Oh hell no - nobody wants to see me, I assure you! I'm thinking we might add a "deluxe package" that offers high-resolution images you can print out for jewel case liners (if you're into that sort of thing). Scrambling just to get things set up at this point!

gotta say glad to be wrong

- I am glad it all worked out somehow, next thing for me to be cynical about is the kickstarter rules, as was mentioned, kickstarter has form for mucking around crowdfunding efforts (although something this under the radar), doing things like not releasing funds to that game developer which crushed the project etc. Maybe you should use startjoin instead, it's new to the scene and founded by max keiser so would be less likely to do strange things to a campaign that involves buying and ripping and reselling a music item. The advantage of the kickstarter is broader exposure to the project, and a more established name in that sphere, so i can understand why you'd want to use them.

- High Quality photos of the vinyl and packaging would be nice in the pack too.

- Are you doing a campaign video? I want to see the face of JR, pictures of that are rarer than sightings of CW. heh E-;

- Take names here before you do the kickstarter or those on here will be mightily disapointed if they miss out to some 18yr old edm kid from Alabama that decided to pay the money on a drunken whim.

Agree with this completely.

Apart from the unexpected news- well, why take a rip from the vinyl?

Are the original masters lost?

Joyrex, shed some light please.

Wasn't the Q-Chastic EP master lost or destroyed as well? And if they still have it, they probably can't be bothered and let us make a decent rip. I'm totally satisfied with that though.

Really digging the charity part as well. Just a great deal this. Everybody wins.

Does noone else find it strange that grant posted the kickstarter thing at xltronic? and now we're making a kickstarter for this?

Nah, I reckon it was probably what he was aiming for. Giving subtle cryptic hints is his thing I guess?

There's really no way to limit it to WATMM members via Kickstarter - but I suppose you'll need to have an account on WATMM in order to download it (still working that bit out).

This is incredible! Super stoked... Unfortunately, my bank account has 17 cents until my next paycheck in a week, so ill prob miss out on this /: unless its still open a week from today... Nonetheless, amazing news! Thanks so much to Joyrex, Grant, and Richard for all of this! Btw, unreleased caustic window lp is different than the unreleased joyrex tape, right?

I think you'll have enough time - the Kickstarter has to be approved, and my Amazon Payments account (which Kickstarter uses) has to be approved as well - that can take up to a week, since the automagic verification wasn't working on Amazon's side.

None of this should happen without Richard D Jams consent

Richard and Rephlex are cool with this - we have official approval to distribute to the participants.

FYI - the Kickstarter has been set up, but as I mentioned, I'm still waiting verification, so everyone still has time to get ready. The Kickstarter going live will be announced here first before any Tweets, etc. go out.

Even better news - the total number of Kickstarter contributors has increased from 500 to 600, and the price will be around 10GBP (around 15.50 USD, 11.20 EUR) per person, and that's before you get the refund from the Ebay sale.

I will post a new thread for the official announcement, so hang in there everyone!

Guest PiHKAL

Definitely getting in on this. Might turn out to be a nice kick up the arse for Rich to get some new material out, even if it's just new old stuff.

I'm new and also in.

EDIT: Are we going to wait until 500 people says yes, or is there any specific date to the Kickstarter?

Oh, it's "We" now is it?

Archived