IGNORED

Plaid - Scintilli

Guest maus

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sirch

I still haven't reached a definite opinion on Scintilli. I need to listen to it more.

can't believe it's been out for more than 6 months now, already!

I think i prefer the live jam versions of these new tracks than i do the actual Scintilli album mixes. some of them are too short i think, still.

I didn't listen to it a lot in the end. I don't know if it's me or the actual release, but I feel like it didn't surprise me very much and that's why I got bored of it quickly. In the same time I think it's a cool album, just that I'd like it to surprise me and unfortunately it doesn't...

All the sounds on this album are very "clean," which is something that's missing in a lot of music, but not always something I want.

Guest sirch

I didn't listen to it a lot in the end. I don't know if it's me or the actual release, but I feel like it didn't surprise me very much and that's why I got bored of it quickly. In the same time I think it's a cool album, just that I'd like it to surprise me and unfortunately it doesn't...

All the sounds on this album are very "clean," which is something that's missing in a lot of music, but not always something I want.

yeah i agree. it's very very well produced. but it's just not very surprising... considering the wait/amount of time spent on it i mean.

i feel like it should've been better, just more interesting/deeper/longer, but it's a bit of a let down unfortunately.. :(

This isnt something I look for in electronic music. In fact, it was one of the charms of early plaid/tBD music.

Guest sirch

love the artwork, tho.. and the muda na mono design. that was a clever idea.

looking forward to the new EP and possibly some sort of 'Scintilli LIve' release... t'would be good.

Guest sirch

This isnt something I look for in electronic music. In fact, it was one of the charms of early plaid/tBD music.

but it only sounded that way due to the equipment used (and using an Amiga), which actually was mostly all top of the range, high-end stuff, at the time. in fact 101's and 808's are still high-end gear.

..the new Black Dog stuff sounds very clean and digital as well, and not very analog or lo-fi.

Guest ruiagnelo

i actually like Plaid's new clean and digital sound.

but it's the music that i wish wasn't so clean at all

but it only sounded that way due to the equipment used (and using an Amiga), which actually was mostly all top of the range, high-end stuff, at the time. in fact 101's and 808's are still high-end gear.

..the new Black Dog stuff sounds very clean and digital as well, and not very analog or lo-fi.

I know it was due to the time and gear, it was just nice is all. But its different with plaid though, because their music deals so much in the top end of the spectrum of sounds its easy to tell its so clean. Where as when you deal down the lower end, things get muddy and blend together, which is why I like it. P-Brane sounds pretty clean to me but theres things in there that dont seem so polished. This sounds like it was made entirely on some space computer, tracks sometimes seem like a vaccum: nothing is in there unless it should be.

I like most of the ideas in this album having said all that.That pitchfork review made me want to cry :facepalm: I still dont think Ive given this enough listens yet to rate it though.

Guest ruiagnelo

I know it was due to the time and gear, it was just nice is all. But its different with plaid though, because their music deals so much in the top end of the spectrum of sounds its easy to tell its so clean. Where as when you deal down the lower end, things get muddy and blend together, which is why I like it. P-Brane sounds pretty clean to me but theres things in there that dont seem so polished. This sounds like it was made entirely on some space computer, tracks sometimes seem like a vaccum: nothing is in there unless it should be.

I like most of the ideas in this album having said all that.That pitchfork review made me want to cry :facepalm: I still dont think Ive given this enough listens yet to rate it though.

Pitchfork should be shut down and everyone who's responsible for it sent to the deepest filth wells on earth.

How can someone say that Scintilli lacks direction?

Even tho i think Plaid could have delivered so much more, when considering their progression over the years, i love it how they adapted themselves to the loose and free characteristics of soundtrack writting, but always keeping in mind their own ideas. And in that sense, Scintilli is a natural direction and a very solid way of working for Plaid

Guest ruiagnelo

i went back to Scintilli today again, and find it more disappointing now than when it was released.

it's kind of weird and vague really. it's like Plaid wanted to work their own ideas but keeping the soundtrack formula, and that is actually what bothers me. sounds like they made a soundtrack but there was no movie.

they have come up with a fresh sound, crystal like and attractive, but there is rarely emotion. i wish every track had at least half of the emotion that At Last screams. i am not saying that particular emotion, but a sucession of varied emotions, as Plaid can only do. it doesn't really create an atmosphere as well, but keeps suggesting a couple of different ones that quickly fade away.

maybe is the short lenght of tracks, like some people have mentioned here. maybe is the influence of their recent work with movies. i don't really know.

even the japanese bonus track sounds so much more exciting.

anyway, it's worth for a couple of tracks alone, like Outside Orange, At Last or Thank, but overall is pretty much forgettable. it's not what i wanted to say about Scintilli, but it is what i feel like saying

I think the album has its moments. The first and last tracks are Plaid magic™. But most of it does sound very tame, even by Plaid standards. The sound of edges being rounded off and polished. Kind of cute. Most of the tracks from the Heaven's Door soundtrack were so much more worthy and vital. But hey, that's just me.

Guest ruiagnelo

Most of the tracks from the Heaven's Door soundtrack were so much more worthy and vital. But hey, that's just me.

I kinda agree. Lately i find myself going back to their two soundtracks frequently. This City is wonderful

Guest sirch

I think the album has its moments. The first and last tracks are Plaid magic™. But most of it does sound very tame, even by Plaid standards. The sound of edges being rounded off and polished. Kind of cute. Most of the tracks from the Heaven's Door soundtrack were so much more worthy and vital. But hey, that's just me.

Most of the tracks from the Heaven's Door soundtrack were so much more worthy and vital. But hey, that's just me.

I kinda agree. Lately i find myself going back to their two soundtracks frequently. This City is wonderful

I agree. I enjoyed Heaven's Door much more. there definitely are some really good moments on Scintilli, though.

I prefer the last half of the album meself.

kinda wish they'd just stuck to it as it was and released it a few years back though, instead of re-doing things so much

and changing tracks/not including tracks/editing tracks right down, etc.

anyway, bring on the new EP...! they're always perfect Plaid magic.

I ended up only liking three tracks, which are Missing, Unbank and Tender Hooks. The rest are just weak.

Could be worse, but after all those years waiting for the album would have expected something more interesting.

As a not-very-die-hard Plaid fan and someone that hasn't been following them really at all (tBD was when I was really young), the clean sound is really nice compared to what a lot of current electronic is trying to do. I mean it both in how it's produced and how it sounds pretty upbeat.

Tender Hooks is still my favourite track from this release.

I like either Tender Hooks or Unbank the most.

Banish all preconceptions, don't compare Scintilli to anything else Plaid have produced and judge the album on it's own merits then you should enjoy the album much more... I'm enjoying Scintilli more than ever!

Still think unbank is Plaid's worst track ever tho :)

Guest ruiagnelo

Banish all preconceptions, don't compare Scintilli to anything else Plaid have produced and judge the album on it's own merits

i do this with Plaid as i do with any other musician.

but Scintilli is still not enough for me. i wish they had never released it and instead release another soundtrack or a collab album, with the Gamelan folks for example.

i think albums are pretty much a thing of the past for Plaid. they want to explore uncharted territory and they are doing it so well! but solo career? well, sometimes keeping in the same way might be a quicker path to disaster. just saying!

Archived