IGNORED

What video games are you currently playing?

Rubin Farr

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AcrossCanyons

is this worth getting even if im horrible at FPS?

As much as I love it, I don't think the singleplayer is worth $60, maybe 30 as it's incredibly short. But if you plan on playing multiplayer I'd say go for it, people honestly aren't too good; I don't own it but can go to a friend's house once every few weeks and get top three or so in most matches.

It is a tad on the short side, but if you enjoy the multiplayer as well (or just the Zombies even) it's worth it imo.

Even if you only want it for the single player it's worth it when the price drops a little (sure you could find it cheapish at online retails.)

Saying that since I completed the story I've been playing zombies - massive improvement on the last one - so much to do - and SO difficult. Got to wave 10 on the pentagon level with my bro last night, new record for now. If I play the mansion level alone I am horribly terrified. It's a good job the characters regularly crack jokes to lighten the mood because the atmosphere scares me. :<

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

My gaming experience just got dramatically upgraded. Got 50" Samsung 600hz 1ms response time Plasma, It's pretty amazing for $650. Plasma's got a bad name for a few things in their first generations. They are pricing them considerably cheaper than LCDs to compete & gain back a good name in the consumer cesspool.

Gonna finish Mass Effect 2 tonight and tomorrow.

last as in prior?

the way your post was written did not make it clear at all that you meant 'prior'

in context i think it's pretty clear. it's certainly clear that it's not a boss fight.

words have more than one meaning you know.

i didnt know that words had more than one meaning thanks for telling me that

you're more than welcome.

do you ever stop crying?

good insult

certainly not my finest, but thanks anyways.

oh yeah

got to return to the ishimura, holy fucking hell they upped the creep factor in there. everything's covered in white plastic with biohazard logos, but it's recognizable. there weren't even any enemies for a while, just crazy noises and hallucinations and oh goddamn.

such an uneasy feel, so incredibly well done. the sound design is fantastic.

Goddamn... really makes me want to buy it now (held off since Killzone 3 comes out next month and I'm getting the 130USD Helgast Edition for my son)

mass effect 2... the shadow broker's lair may be the most impressive thing i've ever seen in a video game. what an amazing environment. conceptually and graphically.

You actually like ASS Effect? Was not impressed by the demo at all (gameplay or graphically).

My gaming experience just got dramatically upgraded. Got 50" Samsung 600hz 1ms response time Plasma, It's pretty amazing for $650. Plasma's got a bad name for a few things in their first generations. They are pricing them considerably cheaper than LCDs to compete & gain back a good name in the consumer cesspool.

Funny how you chirp on and on about framerates, etc. and then buy a HDTV incapable of doing 120hz refresh :emotawesomepm9:

yeah thanks. i don't actually frighten all that easily.

but if dead space 1 didn't get to you, 2 might not as well. does have some freaky-deaky "oh the main character is crazy!" scenes ala FEAR, but other than that it's a lot of the same in a creepier setting.

playing a character who may not be seeing everything as it truly is does kind of heighten the creep factor, though. gonna love it if, at the end, it turns out everything was an illusion and i've really just been gunning down civilians.

Even the possibility that the scenario you just described could happen makes me wanna play it... I'll probably shell out the money for it next paycheck. I did enjoy the 'omgwtf creepy girl appears and leaves' things in FEAR. Not scary per se, but gave the game a creepy vibe that I like.

black ops is a piece of crap

after MW2 it was a huge disappointment.. first of all the main character has an australian accent, and hes the guy from avatar, and hes annoying as fuck. his voice took me out of the mood of the game completely.

then you have the level design. you run from setpiece to setpiece, without any control.. it might as well be on rails. HERE DO THIS, NOW COME HERE AND DO THIS, NOW DO THIS, THIS THIS AND THIS. OKAY GRAPPLE HOOK DOWN THIS THING IT WILL BE SO EPIC. umm can i please go over here for a second? NO YOU CANT GO THERE YOU HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING WE TELL YOU.

and the parts where you are actually shooting guys is the worst. theres auto aim so you dont really have to try, you jut get behind cover and the enemies pop out of their hiding spots one by one and you shoot their heads because when you aim it goes straight to them.

it doesnt feel like you are fighting actual enemies it feels like a fucking shooting gallery

i couldnt get into it at all, it was way too corny for me.

MW2 on the other hand i had a really good time with, and maybe thats one of the reasons i was so disappointed with this, it was 2 steps back.

then you have the multiplayer. all the maps are basically the exact same style of gameplay, its just run and gun short to medium range bs. the maps seem to be designed completely randomly, there are never any instances where you are able to use a strategy, because every part of the map is the same close quarters shit. it seems like there is no design to any of it, they just plopped a bunch of buildings down randomly.

in mw2 or BC2 or something like that, you can see that people actually thought about the maps and designed them in such a way that fun gameplay would come out of it, and happen naturally. but interesting gameplay/strategies arent able to happen on here because all the maps are fucking random.

i was stoked for the game too, its not like i was one of those people who hates on treyarch because they arent da real call of duty guys. world at war was great. but this thing is complete garbage.

fuck the lovers

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Funny how you chirp on and on about framerates, etc. and then buy a HDTV incapable of doing 120hz refresh :emotawesomepm9:

Whats funny about that? Rock solid 90+ FPS on a PC game at 60hz is far fucking smoother than your average inconsistent 27 FPS average on a LCD 120hz screen with comparably noticeable response latency.

Human eyes cannot really tell the difference past 70hz refresh but they can notice the unnatural artificial frame creation in the 120-240hz TVs. If I had a 120-240hz TV I would turn that feature completely off as it makes things look dumb. Only reason I would want 120hz is for Nvidia 3D Vision & I don't want it. The bigger concern for gaming is response time and LCDs can't touch this 1ms. It was only $650 for a screen that looks every bit as good if not better than many LCDs that are double the price so I'm content.

black ops is a piece of crap

after MW2 it was a huge disappointment.. first of all the main character has an australian accent, and hes the guy from avatar, and hes annoying as fuck. his voice took me out of the mood of the game completely.

then you have the level design. you run from setpiece to setpiece, without any control.. it might as well be on rails. HERE DO THIS, NOW COME HERE AND DO THIS, NOW DO THIS, THIS THIS AND THIS. OKAY GRAPPLE HOOK DOWN THIS THING IT WILL BE SO EPIC. umm can i please go over here for a second? NO YOU CANT GO THERE YOU HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING WE TELL YOU.

and the parts where you are actually shooting guys is the worst. theres auto aim so you dont really have to try, you jut get behind cover and the enemies pop out of their hiding spots one by one and you shoot their heads because when you aim it goes straight to them.

it doesnt feel like you are fighting actual enemies it feels like a fucking shooting gallery

i couldnt get into it at all, it was way too corny for me.

MW2 on the other hand i had a really good time with, and maybe thats one of the reasons i was so disappointed with this, it was 2 steps back.

then you have the multiplayer. all the maps are basically the exact same style of gameplay, its just run and gun short to medium range bs. the maps seem to be designed completely randomly, there are never any instances where you are able to use a strategy, because every part of the map is the same close quarters shit. it seems like there is no design to any of it, they just plopped a bunch of buildings down randomly.

in mw2 or BC2 or something like that, you can see that people actually thought about the maps and designed them in such a way that fun gameplay would come out of it, and happen naturally. but interesting gameplay/strategies arent able to happen on here because all the maps are fucking random.

i was stoked for the game too, its not like i was one of those people who hates on treyarch because they arent da real call of duty guys. world at war was great. but this thing is complete garbage.

fuck the lovers

im not really a fan of any fps on any console, but ive been playing the call of duty's since 4 only cause tons of other ppl are playing it, it's like all of a sudden everyone plays quake. but my respect for the series ends there. when i play it's somewhat of a willing suspension of disbelief, with the disbelief being how un-fun the game is to play. like i said before all i play is headquarters which is fun with a squad of 3 or 4 ppl when you coordinate and hold down HQs and get lots of defends. that's what black ops is all about really, that's why you see the simplistic level design. it's not so much about the experience as it is close quarters combat simulation

oh and i disagree about level design in mw2 and bc2, in mw2 it was a huge campfest half the time, and the levels catered to that, basically making most games boring as fuck. bc2 had some horribly broken maps (port valdez LOL)

i found there was a good mixture of all styles of gameplay in MW2.

they had smaller maps for close quarters, but they were still interesting to play on because they were designed well

they had medium maps with some longer range areas which COULD accommodate snipers

and then they had the larger maps which were a perfect balance between close medium and long range combat.

what black ops is missing is the balance. its all short range bullshit.

if you are someone who just likes to spawn in, run around and get a couple kills before dying and then rinse repeat then i guess black ops is the game for you, but i like the variety

bc2 is my game though as far as war shooters go.. call of duty just doesnt give me that feeling that im in a warzone, and after you play bc2 a lot , going back to a game where you cant blow a wall down or an entire building, and knock down trees with rocket launchers and blow craters in the ground with mortar strikes is underwhelming.

Guest AcrossCanyons

I think people who hate call of duty are people who just run around and expect to be able to kill every body in an instant. It's not Halo, you have to use the surroundings and patience and actually THINK a little.

I think people who hate call of duty are people who just run around and expect to be able to kill every body in an instant. It's not Halo, you have to use the surroundings and patience and actually THINK a little.

youre wrong

the gameplay of call of duty is like this, you aim at a guy and you shoot him, if you have a better connection than him then you are going to kill him before he even gets a shot off. but to him , he looked at you and shot you 3 times in the head. because his connection was worse you got the kill.

this happens over and over and over.. there isnt any 'thought' involved, especially in black ops. in modern warfare 2 at least there is a little bit of a chance for strategy and teamwork, but in black ops the maps are designed in such a way that this run and gun mechanic is the only way to play..

halo on the other hand is more based on skill. if you shoot someone first it doesnt matter who has a better connection, the other guy can compete. you can actually turn to someone shooting you from your side and if you are a better player than him you will kill him.

its not just one hit one kill stuff.

in call of duty if someone comes at you from the side youre fucked, doesnt matter what you do. boom youre dead.

your comparison to halo makes no sense, because in halo you take like 5x the amount of damage, and there is about 500% more variety in terms of gameplay. you have all your armor abilities, in halo 3 you have equipment, there are vehicles and all sorts of different guns that work in different ways. saying that you actually have to THINK compared to halo is just not right. there is much less thinking in call of duty.

by the way, i didnt say i 'hated' call of duty. i said black ops was a piece of shit.

modern warfare 2 was great

Guest AcrossCanyons

youre wrong

the gameplay of call of duty is like this, you aim at a guy and you shoot him, if you have a better connection than him then you are going to kill him before he even gets a shot off

Unfortunately connection plays a roll in every online game and it hinder things but if your connection is that bad what the hell are you doing online in the first place?

in black ops the maps are designed in such a way that this run and gun mechanic is the only way to play..

Sure... If you want to get killed over and over again. There are vantage points on every map - and plenty of places to hide, trap, etc - so why would the 'run and gun mechanic' be the only way to play? That's just dumb thinking.

in call of duty if someone comes at you from the side youre fucked, doesnt matter what you do. boom youre dead.

That's why you've got to use your surroundings, think smart, have the better reflex - skill.

saying that you actually have to THINK compared to halo is just not right. there is much less thinking in call of duty.

Halo is one of the prime examples of running around until you fall into somebody and just shoot until they die - rinse, repeat. No real tactics, no need to think - just need the better weapon.

by the way, i didnt say i 'hated' call of duty. i said black ops was a piece of shit.

modern warfare 2 was great

I didn't say I was referring to you anyway?

Also - the difference of modern warfare 2 being great and black ops being 'a piece of shit' are the just the maps? :blink:

i could go and quote every response you had there but i really dont care enough , all i will say is that i disagree with pretty much everything youve said

although, the difference between mw2 and black ops is a lot more than just 'the maps'..

the multiplayer maps are a huge part of it, but the single player is another part. when you add those together in one big shitpile what do you get..

a piece of shit

I just picked up some componant cables for the wii, so I've been going back and playing some gamecube games that support progressive scan (plus I have a 55" HDTV now, whereas the largest I had was a 27" the first time I played them). It was a real solid for Nintendo to make their system fully backwards compatible with gamecube, vs MS and Sony who only kind of did it. I had some xbox games I really liked but had to sell because I'm not going to have 10 systems hooked up to my TV and they won't play on 360.

BF just isn't the same on console.. tried 1943, that was kinda cool, but not much to it. ever since Battlefield 2 everything has seemed wonky-- like, the textures and models have become more of a focus than the hugely open terrain of the older versions. i'm still addicted to Battlefield Vietnam after 7 years or so.

i am a bf bc 2 fan as well but i hate the 30 fps cap on the 360 the game really does not look that good, but it is still really fun once u get used to the graphics. finally finished dead space 1 a couple days ago started dead space 2 on chapter 3 of that now. sucks that theres no stasis cheat like in dead space 1 though. anyone know any cheats for dead space 2 like extra power nodes or a shop exploit or something?

oh yeah and a new map pack for black ops just came out today prolly will get that

Guest disparaissant

i am a bf bc 2 fan as well but i hate the 30 fps cap on the 360 the game really does not look that good, but it is still really fun once u get used to the graphics. finally finished dead space 1 a couple days ago started dead space 2 on chapter 3 of that now. sucks that theres no stasis cheat like in dead space 1 though. anyone know any cheats for dead space 2 like extra power nodes or a shop exploit or something?

oh yeah and a new map pack for black ops just came out today prolly will get that

yeah i'd love a power node cheat, yipes. ive only upgraded my stasis all the way so far, by this point in dead space 1 i had my stasis, rig, and plasma cutter fully upgraded.

still, i think they improved on the options enough, despite ammo being much more scarce, i've died a lot less times than i did in dead space 1. kinesis is just so much more useful now.

Archived