IGNORED

What video games are you currently playing?

Rubin Farr

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the binding of isaac... It is sooo god damn addicting. I guess I should have put this in the indie games thread. only $5 on steam. Each game is fresh because it is randomly generated items, and dungeon.

i love that game i have like 50 hours in it LOL

yeh decent roguelike but very very simple much like Voxatron. any of you play ZHP: Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman? superdeep roguelike/S-RPG hybrid. love this one so damn much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMEqIzM843U

there's a great Dungeon Master style fps roguelike (pre-daggerfall crawler) being made by a finnish studio ATM, it's called Legend of Grimrock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HnTeQFBIq0

Playing through Earthbound (Mother 2?) I think I'm about half way, just finished beating those 5 moles, about to get a million dollars to bail the Runaway Five again. I wish I could just leave them there stuck in their contract. They're good people but obviously they need to do some homework on the business side of things, or hire a fucking manager. Fun game.

Earthbound is a strange one in that the difficulty curve seems reversed, starting off for the first quarter as being quite a challenge but gets easier as it goes along. The whole robot section near the end is bloody rock hard though.....

earthbound... ever heard of "Contact"? earthbound/mother homage game for the DS, decent but not as deep as earthbound at all (i'd rather play saga frontier again)

the binding of isaac... It is sooo god damn addicting. I guess I should have put this in the indie games thread. only $5 on steam. Each game is fresh because it is randomly generated items, and dungeon.

i love that game i have like 50 hours in it LOL

yeh decent roguelike but very very simple much like Voxatron. any of you play ZHP: Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman? superdeep roguelike/S-RPG hybrid. love this one so damn much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMEqIzM843U

there's a great Dungeon Master style fps roguelike (pre-daggerfall crawler) being made by a finnish studio ATM, it's called Legend of Grimrock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HnTeQFBIq0

after playing isaac i looked into rogue likes but couldnt find anything that seemed remotely interesting. do u have any suggestions?

besides those. haha

isaac, truth be told, only has certain roguelike aspects to it, but is missing many as well. The original rogue was an ascii dungeon crawler, turn based, grid movement, procedurally generated, 26 levels deep. Permadeath and randomization of items is a common element as well. Rogue was eventually elaborated on and now it's most famous descendent, nethack, is more popular. Nethack introduced a ton of new items and features and made the dungeon much bigger. It is notoriously hard(although I have ascended 3 times, 3 different characters, I still have trouble with it). Isaac doesn't have an actually procedurally genereated terrain, it has premade rooms that a strung together in a random way. If you are looking for a game that you can just pick up and go, like isaac, I would try spelunky, powder, dungeons of dreadmore, or desktop dungeons. If you are looking for more of a "real" roguelike that is still easy to get into I would either recommend brogue(my current favorite), Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup(the most actively developed and mature roguelike these days), or Nethack(classic in every way).

the thing about isaac i like is the game play cause its not full of BS and its skill based. i imagine most rogue likes arent really skill based as far as what ive seen they are mostly rpg stuff it seems like?

isaac is like a mixture of one of those bullet hell shooters/zelda dungeons/ and rogue likes in one. thats what im trying to find really, something with interesting game play like that instead of just a weird littel rpg that has permanent death

If you define skill as twitchy reflexes then no, roguelikes aren't skill-based... the skill comes in analysing situations carefully, being aware of your options, and choosing the right course of action. But in many, there's still a huge element of chance in whether you succeed or not. It's more about stacking the odds in your favour, and sometimes the game will just happen to completely screw you.

Many newer roguelikes attempt to overcome this, with varying degrees of success - Stone Soup comes as close as possible imho - but randomness will always be a part of roguelikes. It's fundamental to them and it's why roguelike players keep coming back.

earthbound... ever heard of "Contact"? earthbound/mother homage game for the DS, decent but not as deep as earthbound at all (i'd rather play saga frontier again)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvTm_WuxjGw

I bought that for my niece for her birthday who promptly sold it a few days later as she had no idea what she was doing. To be fair getting a turn based RPG for a 7 year old is a little ambitious ....

heh, yeah i wouldn't give it to a young child.. the gameplay is nothing special, the main draws imo are the barrage of homages/references to 16 bit jrpgs and the weird incoherent story

If you define skill as twitchy reflexes then no, roguelikes aren't skill-based... the skill comes in analysing situations carefully, being aware of your options, and choosing the right course of action. But in many, there's still a huge element of chance in whether you succeed or not. It's more about stacking the odds in your favour, and sometimes the game will just happen to completely screw you.

Many newer roguelikes attempt to overcome this, with varying degrees of success - Stone Soup comes as close as possible imho - but randomness will always be a part of roguelikes. It's fundamental to them and it's why roguelike players keep coming back.

interesting so isaac is one of a kind. well i hope ppl make more games like that because it is truly awesome.

interesting so isaac is one of a kind. well i hope ppl make more games like that because it is truly awesome.

it really is. I mean, there are games spelunky and red rogue http://robotacid.com/flash/red_rogue/ which are 2d platformers with roguelike properties. And there are games like diablo which have some roguelike properties but realtime graphical. But nothing yet quite hits what isaac is doing. It is pretty unique for a game made in 4 months. And it is something I think we will see more people doing in the future.

EDIT: oh I also wanted to mention that Hideo Kojima announced that he was working on metal gear solid 5 !!!!! http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/11/17/metal-gear-solid-5-confirmed.aspx

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

The Saint's Row games are like if Grand Theft Auto and Just Cause had children... that rode the short bus to school.

now you got me interested

Started dead rising 2 last night. fucking loading screen every few seconds it feels like and whilst i accept that my short attention span is to blame i feel like other games don't have this disruption. its not even cutscenes (which usually piss me off no end) but just when running from one room to the next. otherwise i think it could be a fun zombie massacre

Archived