IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Xenblake

The Beaver

Pretty entertaining to watch Mel Gibson as Mel Gibson. Best part is Mel's son innocently handing him a paper mache brain because he heard his dad's brain was "broken"... It even had Radiohead - Exit Music For A FIlm in it. awwwwww.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stroszek (Werner Herzog)

Outsider musician goes to USA with his prostitute girlfriend to live the American dream. I avoided the movie for years and now I'm afraid I have no words to explain how good it is. I understand why would someone commit suicide after watching Stroszek so approach with caution. Absolute Classic.

Heart of Glass (Werner Herzog)

A pre-communist town is under some sort of spell and prophet dude in the mountains has visions about the end of the world. Super weird and awesome. This is the one where he has most of the cast acting under hypnosis haha.

got these and a couple more Herzogs in a box set from a mate at work for a few quid, getta get them watched

Captain America 6.5/10 - watchable really nice sets sets but I think comic accuracy made the rest of the film a bit meh but apparently so's the comic book. Enjoyed Thor a lot more and the end of that ties in with this which all ties into the Avengers eventually. I just hope Stan Lee is still ticking to see it.

The Mack 4/10 - needed a blacksploitaion fix after the superb Black Dynamite and being one of Tairrantino's top 20 gridhouse films I had to give it a go. It has some really good dialogue and pimp action but really starts to plumet about half way through. I think the whole films on youtube.

The Hitcher (1986) 9/10 - only saw this many years ago on VHS but the cleaned up DVD version really hasn't dated much in over 20yrs. Really good cinematography, well paced and Hauers best role after Blade Runner.

Hesher - 8/10

amazing performances all around. lots of very funny dialogue from JGL (pool scene :R2, R2!) I kept thinking Hesher was the kid's imaginary friend, like a fight club version of himself as it was pretty wtf why the dad & grandma just accepted him being in their house.

drive - 10/10 if i was to make a film, the film would be like drive.

speaking of Steak i had no idea the really chisled faced tall Chiver guy in that film WAS in reality Kavinsky from Ed Banger records. It's hard to tell if they added makeup to his face to make his cheek bones so ridiculous or if thats how he actually looks in real life

all of the chivers have released music on edrec i think. i loved steak and often frequent the OST on my ipod. its so good.

Wrecked- 9/10

A man wakes up in a crashed car with a broken leg and no memory of his identity or why the car crashed. He eventually works himself out of the car and wanders around the woods while hallucinating occasionally from days without food/water/human contact, until he eventually figures out why he was in the crash. Very well-done with a sense of despair and loneliness throughout, similar in some aspects to 127 Days or Buried. Slow-moving, but well entertaining.

drive 8/10 or 3/10

very enjoyable and exciting, excellent soundtrack as well. The casting was great too, i wish Bryan Cranston was in it more. But the only problem i found was how exciting it was, i wonder what the film will be like on a second viewing. I wanted more back story but im undecided if i liked that the film just presented you these characters with no explanation of anything, hmmm, typing that out now makes it seem bad! anyway, the film does what it does extremely well. i could write more but im in a far to dyslexic and lazy mood to make any sense of it in writing.

what was the song playing when they were having a party and the driver was in his flat fixing the car part? it dosen't seem to be on the soundtrack

what was quite funny when i saw was this group of girls next to me, when the film ended one of them went "WHAT THE FUCK!?" i imagine they thought a film with ryan gosling and carrey mulligan would be a sweet romantic film (which it is, in a way)

tristana-original.jpg

Tristana (Luis Buñuel)

One of those classy Buñuel flicks where you don't know whether to laugh or turn off the TV in sheer horror, here a young woman out of necessity goes to live with rich old man and you get to see how evil works in real life. I'm also beginning to think Catherine Deneuve is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen on screen.

Wrecked- 9/10

Really? That movie got trashed when it came out

I can see why people didn't like it. It's slow. Very, very slow, and there's not a whole lot of action. Like I said earlier, it'll definitely appeal more to the 127 Hours/ Buried crowd and suspense junkies than anyone else. You have to be able to enjoy an almost complete lack of dialogue, and what little characterisation exists is very subtle throughout most of the movie. It's more about him wandering around the woods with a broken leg trying to survive than anything else.

new transformers

fffuuuu, a film about giant robots tearing up an entire city and im not even remotely interested, not one bit, how is that even possible? how bad has it got to be? and the music, holy shit the vomit inducing music. i know all of this has already been said countless times, and i didn't like the first film, i couldn't even finish the second so naturally i wasn't expecting much from this one, but holy shit that was awful.

drive

11/10

i had extremely high expectations for this one, can't believe the film managed to top all of them. everything about it is pure perfection imo, the pacing, the music, the cinematography, even small details like the transitions between scenes. also it's not often i get choked up from just atmosphere alone. best film i've seen in almost 5 years / since there will be blood. i honestly can't think of one single thing i didn't love about it. and it's not just because of the whole 80's thing either, parts of it for example reminded me of bullitt, which is another all time favourite of mine. anyway, it's been a long time since i watched a movie and really didn't want it to end.

edit: sat down right after watching the film and finished the final track for my album in less than an hour, thanks for the inspiration injection drive.

Believe it or not, we watched The Human Centipede AGAIN. :emotawesomepm9:

One major thing I never mentioned in my other comments - why oh WHY are the girls' heads way to high up? Like, WAY WAY to high up? They wouldn't even be touching anothers assholes with their chins? Couldn't they even get that one right, given that they were basically making a movie about mouth-to-ass? My friend said "Well now we know Tom Six has never given a rimjob" :fail:

drive

11/10

i had extremely high expectations for this one, can't believe the film managed to top all of them. everything about it is pure perfection imo, the pacing, the music, the cinematography, even small details like the transitions between scenes. also it's not often i get choked up from just atmosphere alone. best film i've seen in almost 5 years / since there will be blood. i honestly can't think of one single thing i didn't love about it. and it's not just because of the whole 80's thing either, parts of it for example reminded me of bullitt, which is another all time favourite of mine. anyway, it's been a long time since i watched a movie and really didn't want it to end.

edit: sat down right after watching the film and finished the final track for my album in less than an hour, thanks for the inspiration injection drive.

agree with everything u said

drive

11/10

i need to see this fucking movie

Archived