IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Don't Look Now - 6.5/10. Some beautiful shots and decent performances overall. Something seemed familiar about it that I couldn't quite place until I saw that Nicholas Roeg directed it. I have liked some of his films (Man Who Fell to Earth, Walkabout) but I felt his editing style kind of got in the way in this one. It felt like it was wrestling with whether it wanted to be spooky or jarring/disturbing so it ended up feeling like neither, save for a few scenes. The random synth splashes here and there seemed out of place with the rest of the soundtrack as well.

The end freaked me out. Like really freaked me out.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there will be blood

i forgot how much i love this movie. i actually do a pretty good daniel plainview impression and my wife hates it which makes me do it more. i have been yelling "eil..." and "give me the blood lord, give me the blood" all weekend.

10/10 for me.

I'm your brother... from another mother.

bastard from a basket. bastard from a basket.

Stalker - very long and slow movie, I really liked the sepia scenes, now I now where Valve got their inspiration for HL2, anyway the movie is very philosophical and you're free to come to your own conclusions, it's certainly a journey for the viewer too. I need to rewatch the ending as I lost interest after a while.

Spoiler: I can't believe they just walked near the nuclear power plant like that, that surely can't be safe, I mean it probably is to some degree but who knows if they dumped some radioactive waste nearby.

whaaaat? You need to rewatch the ending?? That's the part that elevates it to awesome status.

Regarding walking near the reactor, as you may know several of the cast (and Tarkovsky himself) got cancer and died young, most believe it was due to exposure during the filming of Stalker.

stroszek - bleak and miserable brilliance, one of herzog's more compelling films and uncharacteristically 'watchable' for want of a better word. loved the ending! apparently ian curtis watched this just before topping himself... i decided not to. 8/10

Stalker - very long and slow movie, I really liked the sepia scenes, now I now where Valve got their inspiration for HL2, anyway the movie is very philosophical and you're free to come to your own conclusions, it's certainly a journey for the viewer too. I need to rewatch the ending as I lost interest after a while.

Spoiler: I can't believe they just walked near the nuclear power plant like that, that surely can't be safe, I mean it probably is to some degree but who knows if they dumped some radioactive waste nearby.

whaaaat? You need to rewatch the ending?? That's the part that elevates it to awesome status.

Regarding walking near the reactor, as you may know several of the cast (and Tarkovsky himself) got cancer and died young, most believe it was due to exposure during the filming of Stalker.

AFAIK it wasn't filmed near any nuclear plants, but they did get exposed to something toxic that probably caused their deaths.

AFAIK it wasn't filmed near any nuclear plants, but they did get exposed to something toxic that probably caused their deaths.

the zone was inspired by an area in russia affected by a nuclear accident, but filmed at a location in estonia. (according to imdb)

Guest Coalbucket PI

The Fall

was good, cliched I suppose but it was a bedtime story. The missus liked it. The little girl was great. I keep staying stuff in a spanish accent now "don't keeeel him"

devils_double.jpg

7/10 ..i think, some of the acting was kind of shit but it's an interesting story (about the body double for saddams son, uday hussein during the late 80's / 90's).

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

trying to decide whether to see Into the Abyss, Melancholia or Immortals this weekend. i know i know totally different movies. Maybe I'll see all 3.

I was tired when the movie reached that point, I feel I didn't properly appreciate the ending.

Solaris will be next.

the zone was inspired by an area in russia affected by a nuclear accident, but filmed at a location in estonia. (according to imdb)

all of 'Stalker' is based on the novel "Roadside Picnic" by The Brothers Strugatsky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_Picnic

Guest Mirezzi

28920.jpg

8/10

paul giamatti is such an awesome underappreciated actor.

I really enjoyed it, too.

The only struggle I had was how utterly implausible it was that Rosamund Pike, fictitious character or not, would fuck the troll under the bridge from Three Billy Goats Gruff.

Guest beatfanatic

Immortals 8/10

amazing visuals ( which is a given knowing that its directed by Tarsem) and a decent plot as well.

would watch again.

Guest beatfanatic

Immortals 8/10

amazing visuals ( which is a given knowing that its directed by Tarsem) and a decent plot as well.

would watch again.

holy shit that's out!?

yeah it came out yesterday (friday)

Melancholia 4/5

I'm not really settled over this yet as it made a few dramatic "things" to me, like making me want to solve its metaphors or whatever. I loved the ending scene, made my evening.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - surpirisingly better than i thought it was gonna be, by a long way. Still some painful git moments, but they were there to drive the story forward, all but awkwardly, so that's ok.

Melancholia 4/5

I'm not really settled over this yet as it made a few dramatic "things" to me, like making me want to solve its metaphors or whatever. I loved the ending scene, made my evening.

I fucking loved this film. It seemed like the perfect guilt free solution to escape.

I also recently watched Charlie Chaplin's "The Great Dictator", also brilliant

and

Un Homme Qui Dort, also highly recommended, if you like French arthouse.

Archived