IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

i'm boycotting tintin as he doesn't even have a hint of a french accent

The only thing that this movie has in common with the comic is the title. (that didn't bother me at all,but i am not a huge fan of the comic books..so i don't know - just don't be like a harry potter fan and expect an exact copy of the comic books)

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm boycotting tintin as he doesn't even have a hint of a french accent

The only thing that this movie has in common with the comic is the title. (that didn't bother me at all,but i am not a huge fan of the comic books..so i don't know - just don't be like a harry potter fan and expect an exact copy of the comic books)

i dont understand, i'm fairly familiar with the comics and the animated rendition of them, and so far from what i've seen of the movie it's extremely accurate to the storylines of the comic, they just try to jam 3 of them at once into the same movie

i just saw a pic of a young Steve Jobs but thought it was Ashton Kutcher

so that's idea for a film :)

ok if i look closer there's barely any similarity. oh well.

Warrior - 4/10 how not to make a fight film! Dawsons Creek story line with cheese in all the wrong places. Tom Hardy was excellent but it did feel like I was watching a chick flick.

Apollo 18 - 7.5/10 good concept if a little padded out at the beginning. Good story but maybe more could have been done to make it a classic. Well worth a watch.

Sexy Beast - 13/10 this film seems to get exponentially better every time I see it, the best film Guy Richie never made.

haha, i read that as the best film he ever made, but never made makes a lot more sense. It is really fucking good. Did you see his 2nd film 'Birth' with nicole kidman? had some good moments, i dont really know what ithink about it, it was undeniably disturbing though

and oddly his next movie sounds like a star-studded more serious take on Peter Jackson's Bad Taste

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441395/

haha, i read that as the best film he ever made, but never made makes a lot more sense. It is really fucking good. Did you see his 2nd film 'Birth' with nicole kidman? had some good moments, i dont really know what ithink about it, it was undeniably disturbing though

and oddly his next movie sounds like a star-studded more serious take on Peter Jackson's Bad Taste

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441395/

no but I'm on it :wink:

Guy Ritchie could never make anything even vaguely close to sexy beast.

Never Let Me Go - Visually beautiful film with a really interesting anachronistic way of creating an otherworldliness. Some really subtle feelings of uneasiness in the first half (at the school) giving it a genuine (though mild) almost horror like creepiness about it. Unfortunately the story was far less enjoyable for me than the visual aspect. 6.6 / 10

did u even watch the ending? i thought the first half of that movie could have been a lot better and it was kind of boring i even ended up shutting it off half way thru the 1st time, but then i watched it from the place i turned it off at and the ending was amazing imo

its this really special kind of sadness that u rarely get in movies and i almost cried at the very end watching it by my self i i personally gave it a 7 because the last third is so grand imo but ya the first bit sucks basically

Hugo

Solid 8/10. Maybe a 9/10 by family friendly heartwarming story standards. Really fucking beautiful to watch, and Scorsese's love of just plain film really makes the whole movie. Probably a better, more natural/fluid/non-distracting 3D implementation than Avatar, which might be because, you know, a real director was involved.

Sacha Baron Cohen is still a ham, and it detracts.

I guess the lead kid's acting is a bit stiff, but he seemed to inhabit the character well enough. He doesn't over emote like most child actors. I liked that.

lol

it's a family movie. It's not perfect. But it's good. The best stuff, imo, is the silent film love fest that dominates the middle of the movie.

Le_Voyage_dans_la_lune.jpg

Guest Shit Attack

Hugo - was alright thought it was a bit boring + kids would be bored by it probably. much better than avatar for 3d stuff even if most of it was a bit pointless . but had some good bits in it and worth watching overall probably. but the best bits were the old silent film clips + also some good dream sequence type bits. maybe too much of a family movie for my tastes tho 6/10

Drive - i thought this movie sucked. the main character seemed to be autistic or something but not in an entertaining way like dustin hoffman in rain man, in a really bad trying to be cool but failing way, just a grinning silent idiot . it was a dumb movie trying to be arty and i disliked it + the bad use of music too . Albert brooks was good as the bad guy tho 3/10

Rivers Edge - slightly weird 80s movie really liked this. One of dennis hoppers best crazy guy characters before it got old + a interesting story (maybe based on a real event?) crispin glover was real good/bad as a weird guy too. the only really bad point was keanu reeves ugly little brother who was annoying as fuck 8/10

the thing 2011 - was willing to give it a chance but it sucked. Like most modern horror movies had way too many characters that are only there as cannon fodder and you really dont care if they get killed or not or even really know who they are. the whole thing that was cool about the other thing movie was you didnt know which character was the thing, but in this one you barely even knew who the characters were . the cgi looked shit mostly too. 2/10

Guest Pennywise

I just watched Drive and can agree, It didn't really blow me away. The music was cool, but it didn't really work with the film. At times it felt like the music was carrying it. The main character said about 20 words throughout the film and we're supposed to give a fuck about him

The thing was totally fucking shite, It was essentially the same story BUT WITH COOL NEW CGI EFFECTS!! There were literally no new ideas in this film.

uh yeah. gotta agree on drive :(

saw Cave of forgotten dreams. lush..

also Kin-dza-dza again, hilarious soviet thing with great visuals as well.

fat 8/10 to both of them;.

Never Let Me Go - Visually beautiful film with a really interesting anachronistic way of creating an otherworldliness. Some really subtle feelings of uneasiness in the first half (at the school) giving it a genuine (though mild) almost horror like creepiness about it. Unfortunately the story was far less enjoyable for me than the visual aspect. 6.6 / 10

The soundtrack is really beautiful. So is Carey Mulligan.

The Devil's Double - 5/10 - The story is inherently interesting but the film doesn't really start to catch steam until halfway in (even then kinda lost me again near the end). The visual effects are pretty goddamn bad. It looks like the decision to have effects was an afterthought. One person playing two characters on screen looked better in Multiplicity (a movie made 15+? years ago). Eye lines don't line up, there are heads awkwardly attached to bodies... I'm shaking my head just thinking about it. I wouldn't make such a big deal but it completely takes you out of the movie. The performances are okay but the film does go on too long. I was mostly disappointed with the film because I've liked a few of Lee Tamahori's films. I was hoping for another Once Were Warriors and got that shitty Bond he made.

Moneyball%20poster.jpg

pretty good, and that's from someone who knows absolutely nothing about baseball, other than that it's a sport americans seem to enjoy for some reason.

Moneyball%20poster.jpg

pretty good, and that's from someone who knows absolutely nothing about baseball, other than that it's a sport americans seem to enjoy for some reason.

i think i've seen two baseball films but i've never seen a baseball match. one is the one with tom hanks pissing for 15 minutes and the other is the one where the baseballers are ghosts or something (not sure if i watched all of that one). yeah, what made you decide to watch a film about baseball? i only watched those other ones because it was the only thing on TV.

Archived