IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wait, how is Synecdoche even remotely similar to Punch Drunk Love? I literally do not understand

Same composer and they're both stories about 2 men trying to find there way in the world. I know this is a really generic plot but something about each movie makes them similar, such as the quirkiness.

LA Confidential -

people I respect / everyone everywhere I've read said that this movie is good, entertaining, etc. I put it on expecting at the very least that it would be fun to watch. No go for me though, I give it a 6/10.

The movie is full to the brim with really petty cliches, everything is very predictable and it has that "Oscar Feel" if you know what I mean... like blatantly celebrating Hollywood conventions and the Oscars and glamour and all that. I really just don't like movies that have no soul, and this movie felt that way to me.

I put on Punch Drunk Love to see if there was a contrast between an 88% or whatever it has on Tomatoes and the 99% of LA Confidential on Tomatoes, instantly got what I was looking for. PDL is anything but cliched, basically inventing a shitload of new methods for film. For one, if you didn't know, the movie is about an Autistic dude who is visited by a space alien. Basically. I hate reading the comments in the ONE "spoiled" review of LA Confidential... total full power hatred for that poor bastard.

Punch Drunk Love is a classic. If anything it's more comparable to Drive... both movies about a weird ass anxious crazy guy who becomes a superhero of sorts for a woman he loves. PDL is superior, both great. IMO obviously.

I love L.A. Confidential, even though it is incredibly tame compared to James Ellroy's novel (Most things are). I guess I'm a sucker for the noir detective thing. There's just so much to like about that movie I don't know where to begin.

I completely see Vamos' point about the film, I felt that way from the first time I saw it, but there's no denying the performances are pretty great. Russell Crowe really smoldered in that one...

Guest Mirezzi

I completely see Vamos' point about the film, I felt that way from the first time I saw it, but there's no denying the performances are pretty great. Russell Crowe really smoldered in that one...

Total popcorn fun movie.

into the abyss

werner and his silly ass questions / 10

yesss. home sick and new herzog. amazing^^

btw. data. have you seen this? i ask because.. your name.. http://www.freshhell...category/video/

Thanks for that link pigster I really enjoyed watching those.

The American Friend - 8/10I

First Wim Wenders film I've seen and absolutely loved it. Dennis Hopper was the bomb diggity.

stumbled over this little gem just recently:

Los Cronocrímenes (Timecrimes) (2007)

An enterprising Spanish time-travel thriller, that's light on DeLoreans and lightning bolts, but heavy on fiendish cross-currents of temporal interaction.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/time_crimes/

..8/10

a bit slow-paced at the beginning, but then they start throwing in those little twists..rather mind-bending

Thanks for that link pigster I really enjoyed watching those.

First Wim Wenders film I've seen and absolutely loved it. Dennis Hopper was the bomb diggity.

sad cause it's about the only good wenders film. (his docs are great though)

allegedly it's wim himself all bandaged up in the ambulance at the end!

I love L.A. Confidential, even though it is incredibly tame compared to James Ellroy's novel (Most things are). I guess I'm a sucker for the noir detective thing. There's just so much to like about that movie I don't know where to begin.

I was seriously fucking engaged in this movie when I saw it. Only saw it once but I feel like the plot is simple enough for me to understand but complicated enough for me to feel smart, comprehending the plot

Alien 3.

Second viewing after watching it on release years ago. Pretty good, though it's obviously not the classic of its predecessors. I quite like the humour running through the plot which lifts it from the rather grim surroundings. The cgi scenes of the alien running around let it down a bit too.

Mmmm I think a 7/10.

Guest apeterlives

beerwolf if you can find it check out the alien anthology blu ray --- so much detail that I've never seen before

Wings of Desire... Paris, Texas

reported

Wings of Desire... Paris, Texas

wings of desire is incredibly average as a movie.

Paris, Texas is alright.

Scarlett Letter is one of most upsetting film experiences of all time.

Pina is supposed to be brilliant tho!

Archived