IGNORED

Jega - Variance

Bubba69

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice:

tensor - just sounds like a drone to me, wtf?

shibuya - typical floaty jega synths, damn, its hella new style jega. Its just like the light side but with shittier melodies and more annoying glitch effects.

chromadynamic - pretty cool shit. Pretty interesting. Still a little bit held back from the style hinted at by the OLD variance leak. Still seems like an enjoyable album.

cascade decorherence - still slow paced. Dark pads. A certain jega playfulness in the effects. Almost reminds me of plaid or something. I hear some interesting fft filter modulation.

aerodynamic - I don't know if this is exactly like the myspace version. I can't remember, but it sounds badass anyways. Definitely really different than the leaked version.

latinhypercube - this sounds like beats from one of the leaked songs, totally mashed up and glitched. You can hear them right at the beginning.

kyoto - nice breaks. I like the style. fuckin quality, I like the use of vocal samples on this album.

hydrodynamic - perhaps this has some elements from "hydro" on the leak. Its kind of building up like a tunda style epic song with a looped pad progression. Beats building up in a nice epic way. Similar to the original "hydro" but all of the sounds have changed.

the girl reprise - not sure where this is going. Okay, it gets the crazy beats later on.

Finally we come full circle, back to the guy who inspired Planet Mu to start in the first place. Jega’s finally completed his new album. Since the leak of the original Variance album several years ago, which contributed to a nine year absence from the music scene, the album has grown beyond recognition into a two volume work. Variance is the culmination of Jega's musical exploration in synthesis, sampling, melody and polyrythmic beats. Volume one envelopes the more melodic and lighter side of his sound, Volume two, the darker, more intense side (all the clips are now up!). Nathan is currently working on a video to accompany Variance. It’s been a long wait, but the album will not disappoint fans old or new.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes IDM heads, that day has finally arrived! Dylan Nathan aka Jega has actually completed and delivered a full, unleaked, and much refreshed version of his 'Variance' album for Planet Mu. As history tells us, the draft version of this album was leaked onto the internet back in '03, forcing the producer back into the studio to complete an expansive double disc of contrasting styles only seeing the light of day in the midst of 2009. It's safe to say that electronic music has shifted its focus somewhat in recent years but when he was releasing back in the late 90's Jega offered some of the finest beats of his kind, inspiring Mike Paradinas to initially set up the Planet Mu label in the first place and dropping some truly seminal mind manglers for the Skam imprint. To justify his time away, Jega returns with a double album set; a first disc to show his melodic and lighter side, and another displaying his celebrated dark side. It's time well spent, as both discs straddle the chronological gap nicely, incorporating complex beats structures and hyper-colorful melodics typical of that period with fresher dubstep styled bass and advanced electro-acoustic techniques applied to stark digital landscapes. It's a massive treat for fans of the old skool IDM lot from AFX to AE and will fill that gap in your Planet Mu catalogue numbers very sweetly indeed...

listening now... and it sounds pretty great so far... second track is a bit not my thing, but first track was pretty great as was 3rd..

6 years of waiting and I only like 2 out of 18 songs. Maybe I don't like IDM any more...

Or perhaps it just wasn't worth releasing after all, even with the reworking. I haven't heard it yet myself, so I reserve judgement.

haha. i don't know. i like jega's style more than the style that clark has evolved into.

also i find many of clark's melodies to be pretty canned sounding. "rainbow voodoo" is awesome, but a lot of totem's flare is kind of generic sounding, for some reason. this diss needs to be taken with a grain of salt (i love totem's flare).

what jega is doing here strikes me as being far more creative and intriguing, and more colorful. also, his beats are cooler and more intricate, from what i can hear.

fuck, they're both amazing albums. nothing i said here matters or is true.

nothing i said here matters or is true.

this is true:

what jega is doing here strikes me as being far more creative and intriguing, and more colorful. also, his beats are cooler and more intricate, from what i can hear.

This one will age well me thinks....

Several tracks are the most futuristic dubtastic electronic pieces to date....

severely bad ass pan usage, with massive dsp fuckery....

and Jega's strange melodies...

I am diggin it!

in my opinion this is the best single record i've heard since quaristice. i might even end up saying i like it more than that. i highly, highly recommend all people seek this out. it's worth the money (i haven't bought it yet but i'm definitely going to).

it stays interesting all the way through, with each track feeling fresh and unique. something interesting is happening constantly. i didn't realize i liked jega this much.

Guest Joebot Kill

in my opinion this is the best single record i've heard since quaristice. i might even end up saying i like it more than that. i highly, highly recommend all people seek this out. it's worth the money (i haven't bought it yet but i'm definitely going to).

it stays interesting all the way through, with each track feeling fresh and unique. something interesting is happening constantly. i didn't realize i liked jega this much.

I totally agree. This album lives up to the hype in my opinion. Totem's Flare is better than this? I wouldn't even compare Clark and Jega. There's a 90s nostalgia to Variance that I'm really loving. Maybe that's why some people think it sounds dated.

But I gotta say, I was hoping that part 2 would be a bit more... "mental." Most of the tracks, although they are dark, aren't as crazy as I was hoping they'd be. I think part 1 holds a bit more, since there is more of a focus on the melodies. If every song on part 2 was as intense as aerodynamic and hydrodynamic, then it would be much better.

i agree with what you said about part two. it kind of dies down a bit toward the end, but there are a few insane tracks. aerodynamic being one of them. that's not to say that it's not good, just that the first half sets some pretty crazy standards.

i am going out today with the sole purpose of finding this CD. I have a feeling I'll find it at amoeba records.

actually going out to buy a physical CD is a big deal for me. haven't done this since... quarstice, I guess.

wish me luck!

Archived