IGNORED

Squarepusher - Shobaleader One: d'Demonstrator

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

lol quality post

this album sounds like its made by a bunch of emotional cyborgs who want to be more human (fit in) and question their reality i.e. watmmers

i don't see it as a squarepusher release either, the vocoding just makes me think of robots. the video now makes a lot more sense

it could be vocoding but my first impression was that everything is run through autotune. i don't know if i'm right though.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol quality post

this album sounds like its made by a bunch of emotional cyborgs who want to be more human (fit in) and question their reality i.e. watmmers

i don't see it as a squarepusher release either, the vocoding just makes me think of robots. the video now makes a lot more sense

it could be vocoding but my first impression was that everything is run through autotune. i don't know if i'm right though.

definitely vocoder

how can one distinguish both???

a vocoder basically applies a synth sound to vocal phrasing - thus affecting the actual 'tone' of the voice (and pitch, of course, since the synth signal is being modulated by the vocal signal), while autotune does nothing to the tone but 'quantises' the pitch (ie. corrects it according to a set scale), leaving the original tone relatively intact.

dunno if that makes sense, but there is a pretty distinct difference once you look into it.

I love this album so far. Top 5 of the year for me for sure.

& the constant 909 is great! Totally random decision, but really cool. I dig how it's processed slightly differently for every track. Hugely into it, can't wait to get a real copy.

laser rock has what afx once called 'spicy pitch-bends'

this album is brilliant. i think a degree of commentary on daft punk was intended, and the constant 909 has something to do with that too. daft punk sample... shobaleader one are doing it on the fly. sort of.

edit: and i'll say it again... into the blue is pure and undiluted ryuichi sakamoto/late YMO.

the 909 is part of why this new style doesn't work for me. He always has to throw something into to ruin the sound palette. on the last LP it was the overwhelming presence of a piccolo snare and nassally distorted punk rock bass guitar. real drums COULD actually make this album work... (909 is my least favorite drum machine in human history)

the 909 is part of why this new style doesn't work for me. He always has to throw something into to ruin the sound palette. on the last LP it was the overwhelming presence of a piccolo snare and nassally distorted punk rock bass guitar. real drums COULD actually make this album work... (909 is my least favorite drum machine in human history)

Real drums would also make it a lot more soulful, given the R&B feel of the album. Sounds kind of lifeless as is.

Real drums would also make it a lot more soulful, given the R&B feel of the album. Sounds kind of lifeless as is.

"ruin" is not a right word imo, 909 stands out as a very conscious choice, surely it was intended to sound as it does. it's not exactly "squarepusher does soul" album..the neverending battle between expectations and artist's delivery.. :rolleyes:

Guest Dunderhead

My take? I love this lp, makes me smile like an idiot. Especially Laser Rock.

I dig his Jaco Pastorius / Herbie Hancock gurning, the Sunn0))))) style monks

hoods but acide gen'ed in day-glo.

Most fun since Welcome to Europe, which was the most fun since Big Red Car,

which was ditto since Journey to Reedham, and that since Central Line ;-)

I've been a fan of his work sibe the Spymania days, got the Bubble and Squeak EP

and Alroy Road Tracks when they came out, mopped up other earlier bits after

that quick as could find them (including the split 12 on dragon disc - for the

record I was named dunderhead for my dj work having forgotten about the canadian[?]

on the flip).

Only one I never really loved was Do You Know Squarepusher, but eve that has it's

moments. Like the Solo Electric Bass a little less than some, but taking it for

what it is that is pretty cool too.

Loving his new 'group' thing, hope he keeps the madness at that level.

But, bottom line, I want to hear him unfettered by the 'that is not what I want to

hear from Squarepusher' rubbish. That crap stifles creativity. He always surprises.

Tim

But, bottom line, I want to hear him unfettered by the 'that is not what I want to

hear from Squarepusher' rubbish. That crap stifles creativity. He always surprises.

my thoughts exactly!

my thoughts exactly!

Same here. If people want his amen wankery (which I mean affectionately, btw), there's plenty already in his back catalogue to fall back on. I love this album (same as I did with JAS), and it makes it near impossible to imagine what he could come up with next.

EDIT: Can't stop playing the crap out of Laser Rock, not been able to get it out of my head for weeks.

My take? I love this lp, makes me smile like an idiot. Especially Laser Rock.

I dig his Jaco Pastorius / Herbie Hancock gurning, the Sunn0))))) style monks

hoods but acide gen'ed in day-glo.

Most fun since Welcome to Europe, which was the most fun since Big Red Car,

which was ditto since Journey to Reedham, and that since Central Line ;-)

I've been a fan of his work sibe the Spymania days, got the Bubble and Squeak EP

and Alroy Road Tracks when they came out, mopped up other earlier bits after

that quick as could find them (including the split 12 on dragon disc - for the

record I was named dunderhead for my dj work having forgotten about the canadian[?]

on the flip).

Only one I never really loved was Do You Know Squarepusher, but eve that has it's

moments. Like the Solo Electric Bass a little less than some, but taking it for

what it is that is pretty cool too.

Loving his new 'group' thing, hope he keeps the madness at that level.

Tim

I agree on all counts! I think it's catchy and good fun if a bit (intentionally) cheesy (I like 'Souvenir' too though).

I don't get all of the Daft punk comparisons either- obviously I see the visual connection, but it's not like he's doing loopy disco/house stuff.

Archived