IGNORED

Squarepusher - Shobaleader One: d'Demonstrator

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's moved on, lets all take a moment to realize that, and not go in expecting a "space rock" album is gonna be Tundra 5. That said, I think this video sounds like a solid progression from JAS. Different production definitely, more raw. I think Tom has an obsession with trying to get the notion that electronic music can't be performed live, out of our heads. Like when you listen to a lot of electronic music it sounds nice, but because its so mathematical theirs no sense of place and time. Richard has done a great job of eliminating this by mic recording his room and such. It certainly adds emotion to some of his songs because it literally sounds like he was recording it as he imagined it. Ultravisitor had those audience recordings, which I also really like... it puts better images in your head than say "I wonder how many months he spent organizing the beats on this yo"... Tom's always looking ahead, just as Richard is. I know some people think the Analords are a huge step back for Richard, but I couldn't disagree more, especially now with some of his tuss material. Progression doesn't mean each release is going to top the previous. Musical careers can't be mapped from a to b... If you want to pull something really mindblowing off you gotta experiment (which entails doing things you aren't familiar with).

I was one of the few who really enjoyed JAS, so I can understand the how this new video might not fit your mood, but for me I can see this being one of the more entertaining/enjoyable releases of the year. Though UAE will be very hard to top.

Its good to see very few short songs though, who knows maybe the stuff we heard so far was simply the less abrasive stuff (JAS had some real hard hitters). Whatever we get, I have yet to be un-satisfied with his music so I look forward to it. Even if he's wearing hats and weird halloween/daft punk/monk costumes to cover his balding head.

And can we please stop the whole, "he's gone insane! Too many drugs!" Its like Tom didn't even have that mindblowing Warp20 performance just last year. He's still got the magical jenkin touch, cut him a little slack and let him wonder around a little bit. Even if he starts making a fool of himself. He deserves our appreciation at least until this is released. In context both of these tracks could come across better for some of you, who knows...

i'm curious what inspired him to do such a nasally electric guitar like distortion on his bass, are there other musicians who are known for sounding this way? It's really hard for me to get into that sound

Yeah I'm really not digging that electric guitar sound in the video teaser. But I'm keeping an open mind about the album.

i'm curious what inspired him to do such a nasally electric guitar like distortion on his bass, are there other musicians who are known for sounding this way? It's really hard for me to get into that sound

This is the only downside to what I've heard.

I am excited to hear this release. I think I will love it. The new track is ok and all, but goddamn Cryptic Motion really gets me hard. And I like the vocals on both tracks too.

Guest Panthroid

I'm cautiously looking forward to this. I like Cryptic Motion well enough, but I don't find myself listening to it, well ever at all. Played it two times when it came out and that was it. Usually I play the shit out of new purchases for a few weeks and then gradually move on (and revisit a few months later or so). But Cryptic Motion somehow leaves me indifferent, despite my digging it objectively. If that makes any sense.

Even the Oizo remix doesn't seem to tingle my spidersense. And that's coming from a huge Oizo nut! Usually Oizo's ironic text-to-speech mumbo-jumbo = instant boner. But the whole Shobaleader thing just doesn't seem to work. ...Yet?

I've heard Doug Wimbish do some distortion (quite tastefully)

(JAS had some real hard hitters)

Such as?

Delta V, Tensor IN Green, Planet Gear

Don't forget The Glass Road.

Don't forget Star Time 2 ??

I first was kinda disappointed as I saw the Megazine video, but then I listened to it a few times and yet I can't get this wtf-guitar-lead out of my head...Still waiting for the release of the thing.

(JAS had some real hard hitters)

Such as?

Delta V, Tensor IN Green, Planet Gear

Don't forget The Glass Road.

Don't forget Star Time 2 ??

I first was kinda disappointed as I saw the Megazine video, but then I listened to it a few times and yet I can't get this wtf-guitar-lead out of my head...Still waiting for the release of the thing.

Yeah I was going to mention Glass Road, great track. And yeah this Megazine track is quite catchy, Ive found myself hearing it before I go to sleep. I hope this leaks soon. Really in the mood for new pusher (of course Ill be buying the wax when it comes out)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Calx Sherbet

TOM I HATE YOU SO MUCH FOR NOT BEING WHAT YOU WERE IN THE 90'S, WHY CAN'T YOU APPEAL TO MY YOUNGER INNER SELF WHO WON'T MOVE ON AND DIE??? RRRAAAAAAAGGGEEEEEEE

by that token i take it we're all supposed to grow old and move on to truly appreciate indie rock, become yuppie/hipster hybrids, and then eventually die. looking back at shitkicking music which absolutely massacred everything else you were listening to at the time would be retarded, because indie rock is the way. if we were more mature in our younger years we could have cut out this sound effect bullshit and gotten to the core of real mature music .

i never said to like it :facepalm:

Archived