IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

19 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I don’t know if this is technically a “first world problem” (I couldn’t decide whether to post it in this thread, the pointless thoughts/observations thread or the COVID thread) but my mother in law is visiting for the first time in over a year and a half. It’s her first time meeting our 6 month old baby and it’s a lot. She’s very competitive and likes to be in charge, although she’s largely incapable of most simple tasks. She’s also a very bad listener and thinks she is the best listener in the world. It’s so exhausting/frustrating. 
Currently she believes she has discovered that giving the baby a slice of cucumber is a magical silver bullet to put the baby to sleep… but she fails to realize she’s been keeping the baby awake through two nap cycles (partially because she keeps giving the baby cucumbers to play with) only because the baby eventually passed out in the car with a slice of cucumber on her lap. 
She also passively insults me and relentlessly cuts me off / interrupts to the point where I choose to not engage in conversation. There’s a little more than a week of this to go. 
:catsob:

if it was me i'd have to give the mother in law slices of cucumber sarcastically passive aggressive whatever.  and definitely would hide a cucumber in her luggage somewhere so she finds it when she gets home. send her a book about cucumbers for xmas or birthday. also, a couple months after she goes back home send her an email or give her a call and tell her you took the baby to the doctor and it's been discovered the baby is allergic to cucumbers. 

family dynamics can be so strange when adults fail to read the room.  my ex would get quite blunt w/her parents sometimes when she got frustrated w/them not listening. thankfully that usually did the trick. her parents are good people but old hippies from LARGE Irish catholic families so they had their own issues.  could be challenging some times. 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Was uncharacteristically full of rage for most of today, just brooding on how shitty people can be, and generally assuming the worst of every stranger I have some meaningless interaction with.  I never used to be like this, but it's becoming more and more my baseline mental state.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, ignatius said:

her parents are good people but old hippies from LARGE Irish catholic families so they had their own issues.  could be challenging some times. 

Omg… you actually just described my mother in law to a T. Not joking. 

• Farnsworth 1

37 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Omg… you actually just described my mother in law to a T. Not joking. 

sometimes all her attention seeking, affirmation seeking insecurities would emerge and i'd have to duck out of the room sometimes.. to escape... until whatever wave had passed.. then it'd be all good.  my ex picked up some of those qualities i guess from competing for attention amongst 5 million cousins and a big circle of family friends. idk. could be.. it's amazing how saying "yes, thank you for showing me about tying a knot in the corner of the garbage bag after i put it in the bin. you've changed my life.. i'm sure you invented that and deserve a nobel prize. stop being your mother." could lead to tears and a fight. maybe i'm just cruel.  

if i had a nickel for the number of times i heard "good thing that I ________, or else _________ might've happened" from her mom.. jesus. 

[rolls eyes. goes outside and shakes fist at sky]

irish catholic family dynamics.. her parents each had 10+ siblings.  

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

I can't remember was it in this thread or some other where I was already afraid what would happen when the pandemic restrictions are going to be lifted and my family and friends are going to have an endless amount of postponed parties and other happenings.. It's fucking started and it's getting harder to come up with excuses to pass them. Fuck.

You could definitely use the excuse that in some countries where large portions of the population have been vaccinated (Bahrein, Uruguay, Seychells, Maldives and Chili according to a dutch newspaper) covid infections are resurging. Although 65% of people infected apparently weren't vaccinated yet. Or point to the dutch nursing home where all staff and residents were fully vaccinated and yet  12 of the 29 people living there got infected.

edit; added the word "some" to the first sentence

Edited by user

My phone case that I bought with my new phone 2 or 3 years ago has bit the dust. Like, one more drop I don't think the phone will make it. I ordered an otterbox off eBay to learn that it could take 3 weeks so I ordered another replacement on Amazon that the site said would take a few days to arrive... lolz.

On 5/16/2021 at 3:08 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

I don’t know if this is technically a “first world problem” (I couldn’t decide whether to post it in this thread, the pointless thoughts/observations thread or the COVID thread) but my mother in law is visiting for the first time in over a year and a half. It’s her first time meeting our 6 month old baby and it’s a lot. She’s very competitive and likes to be in charge, although she’s largely incapable of most simple tasks. She’s also a very bad listener and thinks she is the best listener in the world. It’s so exhausting/frustrating. 
Currently she believes she has discovered that giving the baby a slice of cucumber is a magical silver bullet to put the baby to sleep… but she fails to realize she’s been keeping the baby awake through two nap cycles (partially because she keeps giving the baby cucumbers to play with) only because the baby eventually passed out in the car with a slice of cucumber on her lap. 
She also passively insults me and relentlessly cuts me off / interrupts to the point where I choose to not engage in conversation. There’s a little more than a week of this to go. 
:catsob:

i found the cucumber you should send her

3gc79f0p5zz61.jpg?width=828&auto=webp&s=

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

My large "half sugar" coffee from Tim Horton's was so sweet as to be undrinkable, so I had to go home, brew a moka pot coffee, and water it down with that.  Now I probably won't sleep until well into tomorrow.  PS the coffee was still too sweet!  Fucking Tim Hortons man...

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Farnsworth 1

42 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

My large "half sugar" coffee from Tim Horton's was so sweet as to be undrinkable, so I had to go home, brew a moka pot coffee, and water it down with that.  Now I probably won't sleep until well into tomorrow.  PS the coffee was still too sweet!  Fucking Tim Hortons man...

you should know better, really. dunkin donuts does the same shit. get an Aero Press. brew 1 cup easy peasy. smooth and delicious. and they're like $20 or something.. i think that's $75 Canadian. 

i often crave coffee late in the day early evening but it never pans out. if i'm ever dumb enough to do it when i'm just hanging out at home then i end up jittery and don't embrace the caffeine to get shit done. i embark on some fools errand like re-organzing the patch bay or going through my room for clothes to donate.  if i have a late night at work or something then it's fine but generally it fucks me up for whatever is the next day's events/plans. 

my current fwp is my first world problems aren't funny or relatable unless i make it into short story length and build in the lols of absurdity and gross TMI health news like before/during/after of a prostate biopsy and how weird and inconvenient the rest of my summer early fall will be. 

although i am trying to sell some eurorack modules but no one seems interested so that's a FWP if ever there was one.  i kinda want to keep one of them but am drawing a line in the sand. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

9 minutes ago, ignatius said:

get an Aero Press. brew 1 cup easy peasy. 

Making good coffee for myself isn't the issue.  It's being able to pick something up when I'm on the road and need some extra thing to keep me satisfied for barely any money that's getting me in trouble.  (lol at that long-ass, confusing, comma-less sentence.)  On the rare occasion that TH does actually listen to my sugar request it turns out okay.  I do really like that I can get a large coffee and a donut for less than the price of a medium coffee that's been sitting out for hours at 7-11.

Also, I have been putting the caffeine to good use.  Almost finished editing a music video.  Plus I edited this post like 6 times, and it's still hard to read.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Making good coffee for myself isn't the issue.  It's being able to pick something up when I'm on the road and need some extra thing to keep me satisfied for barely any money that's getting me in trouble.  (lol at that long-ass, confusing, coma-less sentence.)  On the rare occasion that TH does actually listen to my sugar request it turns out okay.  I do really like that I can get a large coffee and a donut for less than the price of a medium coffee that's been sitting out for hours at 7-11.

Also, I have been putting the caffeine to good use.  Almost finished editing a music video.  Plus I edited this post like 6 times.

oh different story then for sure.  just get no sugar but generous cream.. and dip the donut.  

i have to live vicariously through other people since i'm celiac and can't eat a fucking donut unless it's made w/o the devils grain. 

• Like 1

I've been having stupid problems with my computer acting up, even though I don't use it that much, especially since getting a cell phone. Now my focusrite interface isn't working. It's as if it's bricked, so I have an email into the company about that. Little things have me stressed out.

17 hours ago, aencre said:

Was informed that there was a debate on a prominent comics criticism website on whether I was dead. I’m not exactly sure what to do with this information.

That is odd lol. You famous!