IGNORED

VHS Head - Midnight Section

oscillik

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest White Mask

Edit: Chassis wrote: "Niiice. And what about your stuff? That going to surface at all?"

Nothing concrete, not really had time to work on stuff recently: my GF had major surgery last month and I'm working 7 days a week at the moment

Guest White Mask

i picture the studio being a room stacked full of VHS tapes

like this 1298854213-35.jpg

That's pretty much what his front room looks like, his studio is tidier, there's a picture floating around on FB of it.

That's pretty much what his front room looks like, his studio is tidier, there's a picture floating around on FB of it.

hahaha i love it when internet preconceptions are confirmed like this. in all fairness i spose it couldn't really be any other way.

Guest Backson

Edit: Chassis wrote: "Niiice. And what about your stuff? That going to surface at all?"

Nothing concrete, not really had time to work on stuff recently: my GF had major surgery last month and I'm working 7 days a week at the moment

Sorry to hear about that, hope she's doing okay.

I would love to see you and Neil physically release a couple of tracks. Dare I dream of a split EP... I would definitely by that 12" / CD.

VHS Head was a good reminder for me to think back when I started to make some tunes years ago.

I was using old tapes my mother recorded for me on german television when I was young. They were full of rather happy series about animals and disney-related movies but at some points overwritten by movies she recorded later when the tapes were used for her own videoprogramming. I was recording the bits of the tape who really warbled dued to age and storage (near the tv- no wonder they crippled in quality) but I failed to get interesting things out of it. I wasn't aware of BOC and well, VHS Head not existed at this time. I later messed around with some samples I derived from an old videogame. I stumbled on a recording several months ago and it turned out as a boring ambient monster- you know: one sample and a 5-minute reverb on top :biggrin:

Today I use tapes very carefully as a citation. I often get dictaphone tapes from friends I can slaughter for my music which I use as a source material but not only.

I'm really into VHS Head. Maybe because we share the same background a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Spent a bit of time with this one again in the last month, Brilliant release deserving of a bump I think. After the amazing "trademark ribbons of gold" I think some of the negative comments towards "Midnight Section" aren't that surprising, music this intense can bring on listening fatigue if over played. I know I had to eventually spend some time away from TROG simply because I was starting to kill it for myself. Anyway, perhaps not as instantly accessable as the last album but has some amazing moments throughout and it does get better on repeated plays. VHS Head just clicks for me, for similar reasons someone else already mentioned. I spent a lot of my early days in music, creating collages and sampling from tape sources, old Pre Cert tapes so I think it was inevtiable his music would appeal.

I have a lot of fun trying to sample spot in his music. Noted this one recently.

The opening jingle in "Midnight Section" is sampled from the Intro Ident from the UK Video company EIV. It's messed about with throughout

but you can hear it at the very start and at 1: 01 to 1: 02 most clearly, repeating through the rest of the track.

http://youtu.be/tpM6Z-fal-A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us1N-GlsYZY

You'll have to skip past the two trailers to get to the EIV Ident but it starts at about 8.26.

I'm also trying to ID the end synth sample on "Death Dimension", From about 3.50 onwards. It's doing my head in because I recognised it instantly

but can't quite place it yet. I was sure it was Goblin from the Argento cut of "Dawn of the Dead" but I'm mistaken, it's definitely

an Italian horror though.

Spent a bit of time with this one again in the last month, Brilliant release deserving of a bump I think. After the amazing "trademark ribbons of gold" I think some of the negative comments towards "Midnight Section" aren't that surprising, music this intense can bring on listening fatigue if over played. I know I had to eventually spend some time away from TROG simply because I was starting to kill it for myself. Anyway, perhaps not as instantly accessable as the last album but has some amazing moments throughout and it does get better on repeated plays. VHS Head just clicks for me, for similar reasons someone else already mentioned. I spent a lot of my early days in music, creating collages and sampling from tape sources, old Pre Cert tapes so I think it was inevtiable his music would appeal.

I have a lot of fun trying to sample spot in his music. Noted this one recently.

The opening jingle in "Midnight Section" is sampled from the Intro Ident from the UK Video company EIV. It's messed about with throughout

but you can hear it at the very start and at 1: 01 to 1: 02 most clearly, repeating through the rest of the track.

You'll have to skip past the two trailers to get to the EIV Ident but it starts at about 8.26.

I'm also trying to ID the end synth sample on "Death Dimension", From about 3.50 onwards. It's doing my head in because I recognised it instantly

but can't quite place it yet. I was sure it was Goblin from the Argento cut of "Dawn of the Dead" but I'm mistaken, it's definitely

an Italian horror though.

Wow. Did you find that by accident? If not, very good detective work. Good luck finding the Death Dimension sample.

Wow. Did you find that by accident? If not, very good detective work. Good luck finding the Death Dimension sample.

Thanks, I'm hoping it will come to me eventually, It'll be a case of sitting through a few movies I think it could be from but I know it's out there. : )

The midnight section sample: I'm a big film fan, particularly horror films and always had a large VHS collection back in the day. I owned quite a few tapes

on that particular label and had the release of "Rosemary's Killer" (Aka The Prowler) which the youtube video is taken from so I was pretty familiar with the Ident.

It just dawned on me the other day when I was listening to the EP and I thought, "Surely not", it was literally that little bit of 2 second tone that sparked the memory.

So I did the comparison and was happy to see it was there.

• 1 month later...

Isn't that just the same as the original, just resampled at a slower pitch

EDIT: Though I do like the time stretched ending section !

hmmm there's other stuff going on in there, some pads with reverb by the sounds of it.

gotta say - not liking it. completely detracts from the rawness of the original. each to their own though.

I bought this EP right as it came out. Too bad it's just an EP, though. I liked it how it has a different feel, moving more into the Red Lens Effect kind of thing.

There's a picture that he posted on FB of it. It's actually pretty organized. He said he has a bunch of synths somewhere that he hasn't touched in ages, and I suggested that he give them to me, but he didn't respond.

• 1 year later...

Archived