IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Just started watching the original miniseries of The Stand.

I read the uncut version of the book a couple months ago and it was amazing so I did some research as to which adaptation was “better” and settled on this one. I think the clinker was that this version’s Mother Abigail was supposed to be 106 instead of Whoopi Goldberg. So far, there’s a lot of stuff that is pretty faithful to the book but it obviously flies through everything super fast. 
The cast is half good and half ridiculous. The director definitely leans hokey on tons of secondary characters. It’s really frustrating at times because it feels like there’s a conscious avoidance of any real dramatic moments. The lighting and cinematography is pretty poor. I wonder if they were super stretched for the budget, seeing as this was the early 90s and TV hadn’t become what it is now. Some of it is downright unforgivable. It also confirms my feelings on how Rob Lowe is not a very good dramatic actor (great at comedy tho).  Molly Ringwald seems miscast as Frannie and they give her pointlessly skimpy outfits. Also, it’s weird that Harold isn’t fat but I see why they didn’t want to have to deal with an actor losing a bunch of weight.  
I’m really hoping that this gets better but the bottom line is read the book… pretty much any adaptation of a classic work of literature is going to be a disappointment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Just started watching the original miniseries of The Stand.

I read the uncut version of the book a couple months ago and it was amazing so I did some research as to which adaptation was “better” and settled on this one. I think the clinker was that this version’s Mother Abigail was supposed to be 106 instead of Whoopi Goldberg. So far, there’s a lot of stuff that is pretty faithful to the book but it obviously flies through everything super fast. 
The cast is half good and half ridiculous. The director definitely leans hokey on tons of secondary characters. It’s really frustrating at times because it feels like there’s a conscious avoidance of any real dramatic moments. The lighting and cinematography is pretty poor. I wonder if they were super stretched for the budget, seeing as this was the early 90s and TV hadn’t become what it is now. Some of it is downright unforgivable. It also confirms my feelings on how Rob Lowe is not a very good dramatic actor (great at comedy tho).  Molly Ringwald seems miscast as Frannie and they give her pointlessly skimpy outfits. Also, it’s weird that Harold isn’t fat but I see why they didn’t want to have to deal with an actor losing a bunch of weight.  
I’m really hoping that this gets better but the bottom line is read the book… pretty much any adaptation of a classic work of literature is going to be a disappointment. 

Classic book. Keep thinking to read it again, thirty years after I read the original. I'd forgotten King had released an Uncut version.

Finishing up Copenhagen Cowboy (netflix), best thing by Nicolay Winding Refn in forever, pretty banging soundtrack as well, even if they rip off that opening tune from the shining. Gangsters, violence, unpleasant stuff, long neon drenched takes, some fairytale elements and night shots. This is tickling my balls in just the right places.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Haha 1

You can snooze through this if you like. Just reporting in for duty.

Finished Andor. Was very good. Sometimes I couldn't hear what the fuck was going on because of mumbly worldwide accents. Was also pissed that Forest Whittaker did a disappearing act because the 10 minutes he was on screen was electrifying. Serkis was amazing too. Can't believe I was gonna bin it on episode 3, would of been a big mistake.

The Bear was in the bin, then out the bin and is now firmly back in the bin. Watched episode1 of Series 2 and I just fucking hated it even more. Don't give a shit about any of the characters, don't give a shit about the story line, don't give a shit about chefs, don't really give a shit about restaurants 👋

• Like 4

Ahsoka gets more boring as the episodes drag on. She also comes across pretty arrogant even though its not intended and I have the impression she barley moves in most scenes. She just sits there and makes her snobby remarks 

rewatched LOKI in preparation of season 2 starting this Friday and its as great as I remember it. the finale has a kind of dumb resolution in comparison to the great character development during the rest of the season. 

Edited by o00o
  • Like 1

Ahsoka is really really bad, haven't watched the final episode, but Jesus, it's just heeeere's glup shitto, that guy from that other thing going "hello I'm glup shitto, take this", cheap cosplay costumes with awful contact lenses, endless swinging lightsabers matches and wooden acting.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Silent Member said:

Ahsoka is really really bad, haven't watched the final episode, but Jesus, it's just heeeere's glup shitto, that guy from that other thing going "hello I'm glup shitto, take this", cheap cosplay costumes with awful contact lenses, endless swinging lightsabers matches and wooden acting.

Just watched the finale and it even gets worse. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Silent Member said:

The latest Star Wars spin-off, Ahsoka, is painfully glacial TV about a giant Oompa Loompa in a novelty hat. These shows need to be banished to a galaxy far away

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/sep/07/oh-dear-george-lucas-why-the-star-wars-universe-is-going-from-bad-to-worse

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silent Member said:

Yeah, just watched the finale. It went ike this:

Why do Jedi never use their super speed? They've only shown it in The Phantom Menace, but if you could instantly flank any opponent and strike them from behind with a laser sword, you would prevail the majority of the time.

• Farnsworth 1

39 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Why do Jedi never use their super speed? They've only shown it in The Phantom Menace, but if you could instantly flank any opponent and strike them from behind with a laser sword, you would prevail the majority of the time.

Whoa pump the brakes there, sport; let's not bring LOGIC into this.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, randomsummer said:

Geez all these reviews of the latest Disney Star Wars cash printing machine crap makes me kind of glad I've never been at all interested in Star Wars.

"I'm sorry, it's a bad show."

It's the Odyssey of our times bruh

Can't believe I'm saying this but Wheel of Time Season 2 was fcking great.

It was like a completely different show from Season 1.  Every single thing about it was better.

On 10/5/2023 at 8:36 AM, joseph said:

It's the Odyssey of our times bruh

yes, the parallels are obvious, especially with the 637th instalment of the Odyssey titled "Odysseus and the Wookie X-Wing Boba Fett Lightsaber Death Fart", written by Homer Blockbusterus Moviedirectorii and released worldwide on classical poetry streaming services.

• Haha 2
  • Burger 1