IGNORED

Selected Ambient Works Vol II

Macca

I'd like to hear this particular trac on vinyl

[youtubehd]G7p1Ef_1CdA[/youtubehd]

I heard somewhere that RDJ underwent deliberate sleep deprivation whilst writing some of the trax on this album. I wonder if this is one of those trax.

The 'story' goes he composed a lot of SAW 2 whilst lucid dreaming.

I wonder if the idea of him composing a lot of SAW 2 "while lucid dreaming" meant like he actually did the compositions while in a lucid dream state, or that it was inspired by/around the time/waking from lucid dreaming experiences... ?

From what I can recall from an article, he'd awake from a lucid dream and rush straight out of his bed to his equipment and try and capture the melodies and sounds he heard while dreaming.

Interesting. It's weird because Rush Hour also told it´s an official repress. Warp hasn´t done ány promotion for it, don´t stock it on Bleep, etc. They even did promotion for SAW 85-92, which was not even on their label. In my opinion, a US distributor giving out a license to a bootleg label doesn´t make it official (I have bought some really bad CD's because I saw that the original label licensed it, but the label finally releasing did an utter shit job).

Anyway, I think Joyrex could explain this better then I do, but I think this has something to do with the poor relationship of RDJ with SIRE/Warner which originated from after the Windowlicker period. I think SIRE/Warner just wants to cash in with this and just gave a license out to 1972, while Warp would at least have some quality check or do it themselves. Weird thing is that an American license allows them to sell this in Europe (I've seen copies in 2 shops in Delft and 2 in Amsterdam in the last month or so, refused to buy it).

Anyway, the arguments for not buying it still apply (sourced from CD, no Stone In Focus and not high q. artwork, etc.) and Rush Hour (one of those 4 shops) did mention there are more Aphex rereleases upcoming (let's hope Warp does it this time), so I'll wait. Warp repressed ICBYD & RDJ Album right after 1972 bootlegged them, so there is hope.

Unless Richard has decided to release something (and on WARP to boot), I don't see them wasting the opprotunity to reissue anything more unless they've given up on trying to convince him to release something. Reissues always do better when coupled with a new release (see Tomorrow's Harvest).

That being said, stay far away from the 1972 Records repress.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No - I didn't bother after seeing the inferior print quality and the fact it was mastered from CD rather than source material.

Next year is the 20th anniversary of SAW II Volume 2, so hopefully WARP will have a lavish repressing (with extra material from that time) planned.

No - I didn't bother after seeing the inferior print quality and the fact it was mastered from CD rather than source material.

Next year is the 20th anniversary of SAW II Volume 2, so hopefully WARP will have a lavish repressing (with extra material from that time) planned.

That would be LUSH! Fingers crossed

YEAHHHHH

cant wait for the 120+ dollar repress with LAVISH EXTRA TRACKS

If they did it right, with a really well-done package with extra material that justfies the cost (and not just extra tracks), then I think that's where a repress is justfied.

• 3 months later...

YEAHHHHH

cant wait for the 120+ dollar repress with LAVISH EXTRA TRACKS

If they did it right, with a really well-done package with extra material that justfies the cost (and not just extra tracks), then I think that's where a repress is justfied.

True, also it'd be wicked if they included the original cover with the photographs and pie chart and everything

^yeh i've always been a fan of that one, in part because it and [Z-Twig] both manage to sum up the SAWII experience in under three minutes (averaged), which is no small feat on an album where a big part of the atmosphere comes from repeating things for ages

An anniversary Re-issue would be most welcome. I've always wondered about extra tracks and outtakes from Saw 2.The timelessness of
the music has always been interesting and I always wonder how old or new the tracks on there were.

'Quino-phec' from Surfing on Sine Waves always felt like it could easily fit on the album or that it was somehow related to the work.

An anniversary Re-issue would be most welcome. I've always wondered about extra tracks and outtakes from Saw 2.The timelessness of

the music has always been interesting and I always wonder how old or new the tracks on there were.

'Quino-phec' from Surfing on Sine Waves always felt like it could easily fit on the album or that it was somehow related to the work.

Possibly - On(28mix) is a SAW II outtake. I'm sure Richard was experimenting with 'proper' ambient long before SAW II came to fruition.

SAW 85-92>SAW 2.

It's because of Tha. But I love Saw2 as well. The overall mood and instrument choice is fantastic. That opener!

Possibly - On(28mix) is a SAW II outtake. I'm sure Richard was experimenting with 'proper' ambient long before SAW II came to fruition.

Aye, interesting when they put the original mix of that SAWII track on the 26 Mixes compilation. From the drum programming it's definitely sounds like it has roots from the ...I Care Because You Do era

Aye, interesting when they put the original mix of that SAWII track on the 26 Mixes compilation. From the drum programming it's definitely sounds like it has roots from the ...I Care Because You Do era

I've always wondered about that track (one of my favourites off SAW II) - even though it's called the "original" mix, I wonder how he thought to slow it down, and thought it sounded better (I think it sounds better slow) - doesn't the opposite happen (speeding up)?

Everything sounds better slow! I've been experimenting with slowing down my tracks lately and it sounds so much better than speeding them up.

Haven't heard that mix in ages. Fallen in love with it again today. I'd say you're right, its got many elements, especially the plate reverb and filtered synths that could easily tie it in with SAW 2.

[youtubehd]3JpE5BEQscU[/youtubehd]

Haven't heard that mix in ages. Fallen in love with it again today. I'd say you're right, its got many elements, especially the plate reverb and filtered synths that could easily tie it in with SAW 2.

[youtubehd]3JpE5BEQscU[/youtubehd]

DA FUCK - where in the hell did that footage come from? Fucking LOL...

Ha, yeah that'll be Jan Svankmajer's work "The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb".
Surrealist Czech Film maker who uses amazing stop motion mixed with live action in his films. Some very dark, funny and twisted stuff.

Especially his film "Little Otik".

• 1 month later...

why the fuck was this reissued without stone in focus. I mean what in the bloody fuck ffs

Because it was repressed from the CD as the source material, which none of the CD versions contain #19 (aka "stone in focus").

Perhaps a Kickstarter is in order to bring "Selected Ambient [Complete] Works" to vinyl, properly?

I would love to see a 20th anniversary edition of this classic. I can only hope Warp has something planned.

why the fuck was this reissued without stone in focus. I mean what in the bloody fuck ffs

Because it was repressed from the CD as the source material, which none of the CD versions contain #19 (aka "stone in focus").

Perhaps a Kickstarter is in order to bring "Selected Ambient [Complete] Works" to vinyl, properly?

it's just such a missed opportunity.

"Let's repress this one vinyl but let's use the cd as the master so that it doesn't include the same tracks as the original vinyl."

"So it's basically the cd but on vinyl?"

"Yes"

"Fucking brilliant"

I would love to see a 20th anniversary edition of this classic. I can only hope Warp has something planned.

Considering the anniversary date was 8 March, they missed that completely.

it's just such a missed opportunity.

"Let's repress this one vinyl but let's use the cd as the master so that it doesn't include the same tracks as the original vinyl."

"So it's basically the cd but on vinyl?"

"Yes"

"Fucking brilliant"

They probably couldn't get the rights to the digital masters or foolishly thought the CD version was a superior master source - OR... the masters don't exist anymore and the CD version is all that is left!

Archived