IGNORED

Selected Ambient Works Vol II

Macca

Hopefully in 2014 Richard will get nostalgic and dig out the DATs for all the SAW II-era tracks, remaster them and clean them up, and release a huge fuck-all "Selected Ambient Works 1994-2014" 6 disc vinyl box set with new tracks, b-sides, and variations of the classics.

I would not be surprised if he is collecting ambient tracks over the years to release one day like he did with the analords

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the only thing I hope this does is completely ruin the financial worth of the older copies that everyone for the first 4 pages of this discussion claimed were far superior.

There's no danger of that...

Quality is good at best, original DATs vs CD is a no brainer.

do we know how long it took to assemble analords? i always wondered.

I always assumed the Analord stuff was relatively 'fresh', being composed around 2003-4 - 2005...

Hopefully in 2014 Richard will get nostalgic and dig out the DATs for all the SAW II-era tracks, remaster them and clean them up, and release a huge fuck-all "Selected Ambient Works 1994-2014" 6 disc vinyl box set with new tracks, b-sides, and variations of the classics.

The chances. Its a nice thought though

how does it sound though?

the quality is exactly like the CD it was taken from. normal quality pressing like you would expect I guess.

I was more talking about how its pressed. Sounds very nice to me, havent listened to all of it yet though.

I always assumed the Analord stuff was relatively 'fresh', being composed around 2003-4 - 2005...

sure for around 2003/2004, but not sure in 2005... 10th January 2005 : first release of Analord 10... ;-)

Guest sirch

same here.

Richard described SAWII as boring in an interview that I remember reading in the late 90's, I'd be surprised if he worked to bring supplemental material from that period/genre to a commercial release.

Richard described SAWII as boring in an interview that I remember reading in the late 90's, I'd be surprised if he worked to bring supplemental material from that period/genre to a commercial release.

I would likely guess that Richard was 'taking the piss' when he said that. It's the kind of thing he would say in an interview.

so i saw this in the local record store today and had to get it... very strange feeling seeing a new copy sitting on the wall.

really happy with it press/sleeve-wise... the only thing i haven't heard mentioned is that it's also missing track 4 from the UK CD release... the dark stringy one. i guess i does say that it is licensed from sire so they must've used the US version to press from?

Stone In Focus, this was discussed heavily at he start of the thread. Its pressed from the US CD.

so i saw this in the local record store today and had to get it... very strange feeling seeing a new copy sitting on the wall.

really happy with it press/sleeve-wise... the only thing i haven't heard mentioned is that it's also missing track 4 from the UK CD release... the dark stringy one. i guess i does say that it is licensed from sire so they must've used the US version to press from?

Stone In Focus, this was discussed heavily at he start of the thread. Its pressed from the US CD.

He's referring to the track known as 'hankie' (CD1 TRACK 4). #19 (aka 'stone in focus' does not appear on any of the CD versions of SAW II).

He's referring to the track known as 'hankie' (CD1 TRACK 4). #19 (aka 'stone in focus' does not appear on any of the CD versions of SAW II).

Oh ye, I forgot that tracks not a US track either.

I wouldn't waste my time w/ this (especially after reading that MBV Shields interview about remasters and Warners) and I kind of don't understand why everybody is buying it, but each to their own I guess.

Man i ordered this last week and got it today. Up until last week i never thought i'd have SAW 2 on vinyl.... Its as god as the time i found FMWT and Buzz Caner on Vinyl. Fucking result!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd like to hear this particular trac on vinyl
[youtubehd]G7p1Ef_1CdA[/youtubehd]

I heard somewhere that RDJ underwent deliberate sleep deprivation whilst writing some of the trax on this album. I wonder if this is one of those trax.

I heard somewhere that RDJ underwent deliberate sleep deprivation whilst writing some of the trax on this album. I wonder if this is one of those trax.

The 'story' goes he composed a lot of SAW 2 whilst lucid dreaming.

The 'story' goes he composed a lot of SAW 2 whilst lucid dreaming.

I wonder if the idea of him composing a lot of SAW 2 "while lucid dreaming" meant like he actually did the compositions while in a lucid dream state, or that it was inspired by/around the time/waking from lucid dreaming experiences... ?

• 2 weeks later...

So this 1972 reissue is back in stock on Boomkat.. has anyone got this? Is it good quality?

Yeah it's in every shop here now too. Firstly Warp doesn't approve of it I think (so I have trouble believing the money will go to them and Aphex). Warp repressed ICBYD & RDJ Album mostly to beat 1972 with their inferiour bootlegs. Secondly, the 1972 label has sort of a bad rep (check their discogs page). Thirdly, they changed the font on the artwork AND sourced the material from CD. That last means that Stone In Focus isn´t on here (which is on the Warp vinyl version).

So I say, wait for Warp to rerelease this (although it's a gamble wether they will, but I heard more Aphex rereleases are on the way) and let 1972 fuck off.

Had a little chat with Boomkat (one of the online record shops here in the UK) about this release; got this interesting response -

Hi there Sam,
I can confirm that the Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II is an official repress but it is from the US license as opposed to Warp being the UK.
Hopefully this clears up your confusion.
All the best,
Paul

With that said, I haven't seen it around in any other record shops or online (Bleep isn't stocking it).

Interesting. It's weird because Rush Hour also told it´s an official repress. Warp hasn´t done ány promotion for it, don´t stock it on Bleep, etc. They even did promotion for SAW 85-92, which was not even on their label. In my opinion, a US distributor giving out a license to a bootleg label doesn´t make it official (I have bought some really bad CD's because I saw that the original label licensed it, but the label finally releasing did an utter shit job).

Anyway, I think Joyrex could explain this better then I do, but I think this has something to do with the poor relationship of RDJ with SIRE/Warner which originated from after the Windowlicker period. I think SIRE/Warner just wants to cash in with this and just gave a license out to 1972, while Warp would at least have some quality check or do it themselves. Weird thing is that an American license allows them to sell this in Europe (I've seen copies in 2 shops in Delft and 2 in Amsterdam in the last month or so, refused to buy it).

Anyway, the arguments for not buying it still apply (sourced from CD, no Stone In Focus and not high q. artwork, etc.) and Rush Hour (one of those 4 shops) did mention there are more Aphex rereleases upcoming (let's hope Warp does it this time), so I'll wait. Warp repressed ICBYD & RDJ Album right after 1972 bootlegged them, so there is hope.

Archived