IGNORED

Andy Stott - Luxury Problems

Redruth

Guest Ron Manager

haha, just logged in and had a look, he ignored me, what a bastard! nah he must have figured we were connected somehow. bit gutted though, i really rate that little ~3 minute snippet of it in that mix! wonder what else he's got tucked away...

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah guess with us both asking about the same tune from a 5 year old mix he rightly assumed we came from the same source! and yeah it does make you wonder what other beauties he has in his archive!

He's amazing live. I booked him to play in Oslo, Norway a couple of weeks ago and it was one of the best electronic live sets I've heard in a long time. And a great guy as well, so double up!

Very cool. He's probably my favorite producer right now. Tell me more. What was the venue like? Was the bass skull jarring? Was it dark? He seems like a nice chap. Did you shake his hand? What words did he say to you? Were you pleased, ecstatic, frightened, that's what I want to know, tell me more, now, all of it, yes!

It was a great venue called Jaeger, with a really solid Function One system, so the bass was frighteningly loud and punching. He had brought a video as visuals that was projected on the wall behind him, and other that that there was just some additional light in the roof and it worked really well. It started out relly slow and brooding picking up slowly and really keeping people on their toes for a good while before he upped the tempo and got people dancing. He played quite a bit longer than he had planned and the last part of the set was mainly his older tracks together with a song or two from his HATE project with Miles. Great way to end a set, but a hard start for the dj playing after him. ;) Even though he played from about 23:30 till 01:00 it felt like it was a lot later in the evening, and it was a great although relly condensed set. Wish he had played a lot longer, but everyone was satisfied.

He's a relly nice guy and we spent quite a bit of time together that day/night. Hope to see him again soon, both as a person and playing live. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Accurate. It helps that the song has the best vocal performances on the album (maybe cause they have more reverb? haha), along with the more atmospheric vocals in Hatch The Plan, i.e. at 2:30:

I read in the Boomkat review that it's his old piano teacher. I don't know what his process was, but I'm guessing they just recorded a bunch of shit, and then he just cut up it and arranged it all, since it sounds like he's using the same performances throughout the songs.

Leaving reminded me of Twin Peaks for some reason; couldn't figure out why at first. Not sure if it was the general vibe, especially later on at 2:50 or so, but then I checked out some of the songs from the soundtrack and remembered this:

4:14 for example. Kinda similar to the part I noted above.

• 3 months later...

Sounding pretty nice, these Singles Program compilations have been pretty sweet the last couple years... there other "... Swim"compilations are suprisingly solid comps. as well, namely {unclassified], Metal Swim, African Swim and Ghostly Swim, added plus is that they're all free to download.

you guys would crucify me if if placed this firmly in the "overrated" thread wouldn't you?

yes this release is not very good. we stay together is much better. female vocals remain a surefire way to make electronic music look like its trying to hard

Yeah, the unclassified comp is a banger :music:

It's interesting to see how Stott's sound developed... his earlier productions have almost no hint of the depth of the stuff he puts out nowadays. Though it's good music, don't get me wrong. Still need to listen more to the "old" Stott.

A lot of discussions here on WATMM have the same scheme: a couple of people celebrate someone as a new ground-breaking (possibly idm, post-rave or whatever) master. A couple of other people scream "overhyped" and argue that the guy isn't (that) ground-breaking (at all). I think this has something to do with almost all the ground being already broken - if you can say so :emotawesomepm9: - so people like stott, actress, demdike stare, burial, opn are not that ground-breaking, they are just producing fine ass music which is fine to me...

I think this has something to do with almost all the ground being already broken - if you can say so :emotawesomepm9:

you can say so, but it's not true

the only limitation is our imagination

Guest Ron Manager

That new track didn't grab me immediately - decent, but not fantastic.

Agreed that Luxury Problems isn't as good as Passed Me By & We Stay Together. I still like it a lot, but WST is just on another level.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived