IGNORED

posh beers and ales and stuff thread

kaini

• 3 weeks later...

Massachusetts Trappist, I'd like to try that! Hail the good work of the Monk *bows*

And stuff the January detox, as I have next week off to recuperate from 6 weeks of ballbreaking work so I just put in a tasty order myself. Hopefully I'll sort out the tapatalk photo glitch and post some pics up a bit later.

got some nice gifts this xmas...  i'm a few steps closer to my goal of trying all of the Trappist beers available, thanks to the Mrs.

can't wait to try them.

7hVYDGy.jpg

they have a few of those beers at Beerhawk (uk online beer shop) the Trappist 8 Achel Blonde & Bruin and the Spencer Trappist Ale

I'll be honest and say I know almost nothing about American beer, I'd like to rectify that in the future, beerhawk also got some Founders beers in which are highly rated (never tasted them)

Anyway I'm drinking a pint of Schneider Weisse Mein Aventinus (Tap 6) and weighing in at a very sturdy 8.2%, one of my favorite beers

Geez, Guinness really tastes like nothing compared to a real stout. I bought one cause it was the only stout available at the supermarket. Just ugh.

Luckily I stopped by the liquor store as well and picked up a good porter to round out the night. Paired with a decent cheddar and some snacks.

I don't mind Guinness as far as mainstream beers go, tbh. More often than not, I'd rather have a Guinness than say, Kokanee or Bud or whatever, if I'm at a pub and they don't have many offerings. 

But you're absolutely right, compared to a real stout it's so bland. I almost think they intentionally make it less flavorful than they could, gives it wider appeal no? (As douchey as this sounds, the bulk of beer drinkers are probably flavor adverse? Do craft beer drinkers even make up a significant part of that market?)

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Beamish is much nicer than Guinness, not sure how easy it is to come across outside of Ireland though. Murphy's is also decent, a bit easier to find. The nitrogen makes all the difference though, so a proper draught stout (from a pub who knows how to do it right*) is not really comparable with a bottled stout.

It's nice to see craft brewers getting more into using nitrogen too, had a nice Trouble Brewing stout on draught when I was back home over christmas.

If you want a tastier bottled stout from Guinness they have other options too:

8801091977246.png

...and

1-2014-11-12-14-31-36.jpg?w=1000

* Thankfully gone are the days that you could only get a decent pint in Ireland, you still come across a place that doesn't clean it's pipes or know what they're doing (e.g. pulling the pint in one go, or getting the angle wrong and fucking up the head) from time to time but Guinness do a good job of maintaining standards with their pubs now.

I don't mind Guinness as far as mainstream beers go, tbh. More often than not, I'd rather have a Guinness than say, Kokanee or Bud or whatever, if I'm at a pub and they don't have many offerings.

But you're absolutely right, compared to a real stout it's so bland. I almost think they intentionally make it less flavorful than they could, gives it wider appeal no? (As douchey as this sounds, the bulk of beer drinkers are probably flavor adverse? Do craft beer drinkers even make up a significant part of that market?)

I mean it’s not piss like a bud or Kokanee. You’re probably right on them making it more bland to appeal more widely.

Definitely can’t compare to a good pour as caze says.

Got a good imperial stout for tonight. Looking forward to it.

Old Rasputin - once a favorite, always a favorite. Best in show. GOOD

(i even have the hoodie. i'm a fanboi)

I don't usually like darks 

S0GAY1S.gif

lol    :emotawesomepm9:

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

it’s sunday, cooking roast beef, it’s snowy and cold, and i’ve got a nice log fire on the go. so needed some accompanying local ales to assist with my cooking...

4d60da7b17e1e2065c824ec65c87ad7d.jpg

I did have in my possession 5 bottles of Sierra Nevada Pale ale and1 bottle of SN Torpedo 

I'm down to my last 2 pale ales (and that Torpedo was proper tasty)

Edited by beerwolf