IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Guest bitroast

the interview on colbert tonight show is an example of dude point blank saying you can interact with other people online.

its always been described as a single player game but heavily implied multiplayer integration (ie. him saying "yes its online, but the chances of meeting another player are close to zero" as opposed to him just being honest saying "there is zero chance of meeting another player").

its kind of lame and another example of hyping and raising expectations higher than the reality of what the game is. ((the game still looks cool but for me personally im gonna have to wait a bit for the price to drop and for my own mindset to be in right place to play it without being super judgemental)).

NMS spoiler:

This guy claims the two players are at different points in the NMS timeline, which seems like a pussy way out of it.

173F9E1D-610C-44BA-B086-39D3ACC323A7_zps

Edited by Herr Jan
NMS spoiler tag added upon request

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

For two years Sean has talked about the capacity being there ("you can see other characters and they can see you", "the only way to see how your PC looks is through the eyes from another player"), and then implying that it's the vast scale of the game that makes the possibility of meeting another player "close to zero".

what he forgot to mention is that there is "close to zero" actual netcode attached to the game files apart from the naming stuff going into the cloud, and the tiny chance that an npc with your ship appears flying by someone elses game.

The whole thing is so pathetic and greedy, as they're going with an AAA price tag they deserve whatever backlash they get.

Edited by chim

Square Enix re-releasing Dragon Quest X for Nintendo NX and PS4. Maybe we'll finally get to play it.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/08/07/nintendo-nx-version-of-dragon-quest-x-confirmed-in-development-alongside-ps4-version/

Bet it's still Japan-only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

For two years Sean has talked about the capacity being there ("you can see other characters and they can see you", "the only way to see how your PC looks is through the eyes from another player"), and then implying that it's the vast scale of the game that makes the possibility of meeting another player "close to zero".

what he forgot to mention is that there is "close to zero" actual netcode attached to the game files apart from the naming stuff going into the cloud, and the tiny chance that an npc with your ship appears flying by someone elses game.

The whole thing is so pathetic and greedy, as they're going with an AAA price tag they deserve whatever backlash they get.

so you're that upset that you can't see another person or know what your character looks like because someone else see's you? or somehow be "griefed?" because those were the only "promises" made about any form of multiplayer made in the clips above which would seem to have 0 bearing on any kind of fun or main gameplay that the devs have actively been advertising and talking about. to me it's always kind of just looked like proteus on steroids. it actually looks far more engaging than that.

i can't imagine being that upset that the "promised" feature of "seeing my avatar through my friend's game" actually making people upset. but hey, what do i know.

it doesn't even require a ps+ account to use it's online features as it's billed as a single player experience. 

anyways i still have very little interest in playing it as i tend to like clear objectives in my games. 

so you're that upset that you can't see another person or know what your character looks like because someone else see's you? or somehow be "griefed?" because those were the only "promises" made about any form of multiplayer made in the clips above which would seem to have 0 bearing on any kind of fun or main gameplay that the devs have actively been advertising and talking about. to me it's always kind of just looked like proteus on steroids. it actually looks far more engaging than that.

i can't imagine being that upset that the "promised" feature of "seeing my avatar through my friend's game" actually making people upset. but hey, what do i know.

it doesn't even require a ps+ account to use it's online features as it's billed as a single player experience.

anyways i still have very little interest in playing it as i tend to like clear objectives in my games.

I don't have any money or much interest invested in this game (as I prefer objectives as well), but I do think about the implications for game developers and consumers in this age of crowdfunding. Promising or implying a bunch of shit and being vague about it all the way to the gold copy (and still not responding about it after release) is a sign of very bad business practice (remember Molyneux?), and I think players who expected to be able to interact with others in some way or play together with friends (which was promised) have every right to feel a bit ripped off and refund as it is a big dimension in gameplay today. European discs were actually labeled with online gameplay on release day. I just really dislike the way Sean handles this and think it serves as a cautionary tale as to what to expect out of indie titles trying to play in the big leagues.

Square Enix re-releasing Dragon Quest X for Nintendo NX and PS4. Maybe we'll finally get to play it.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/08/07/nintendo-nx-version-of-dragon-quest-x-confirmed-in-development-alongside-ps4-version/

no interest in playing mmos. wish they'd rerelease viii on pc/ps4.

This is SquareEnix - you KNOW they will at some point, when they feel the money-milking potential is just right. DQ VIII is DQ's equivalent of FF VII.

I thought Hello Games made it clear a while back that NMS wasn't going to have multiplayer to begin with. It's not multiplayer in the traditional sense. They had already mentioned that players have a very slim chance of actually crossing paths in the NMS universe. They made it obvious that there wouldn't be any sort of co-op or team play.

Sean Murray probably just looked down and shook his head as soon as he got wind of the faux-MP deceit accusations.

I thought Hello Games made it clear a while back that NMS wasn't going to have multiplayer to begin with. It's not multiplayer in the traditional sense. They had already mentioned that players have a very slim chance of actually crossing paths in the NMS universe. They made it obvious that there wouldn't be any sort of co-op or team play.

Sean Murray probably just looked down and shook his head as soon as he got wind of the faux-MP deceit accusations.

This was tweeted on the 8th:

Also, the back of the box says "1 Player", the PlayStation Network page says "1 Player", the Steam page says "Single Player".

People for some reason have decided to take interview quotes from weeks/months ago and weigh them higher than any of the above. Because outrage is fun. And doing basic research is hard. I guess. Knowing the internet though, all this silliness will be over in a week. If you like space stuff and exploring space stuff, it's a very enjoyable game. If you don't, it's probably not for you. That's basically it. 

Speaking of which, I found a planet with absolutely no plants or life on it today and it was incredible. Cooler than it sounds.

Edited by Friendly Foil

The problem is that there is no chance of players crossing paths, it's simply not in the code. Why couldn't he simply say "no, that is not a feature in this game" instead of beating around the bush about how big the universe is, practically challenging players to beat the odds. That's even ignoring him saying "yes" to the question whether you can play with friends. It's only true in the sense that your friends can be physically in the room while you're playing your game.

I was never under the impression NMS was going to be multiplayer. If it's anything like a super modern updated version of Noctis IV, I'm sold. I just don't have the ability to play it right now...

The problem is that there is no chance of players crossing paths, it's simply not in the code. Why couldn't he simply say "no, that is not a feature in this game" instead of beating around the bush about how big the universe is, practically challenging players to beat the odds. That's even ignoring him saying "yes" to the question whether you can play with friends. It's only true in the sense that your friends can be physically in the room while you're playing your game.

so then it's settled. you can play with friends

i don't have much interest in NMS nor a console that can play it, but i strongly got the impression multiplayer was involved, but featured in a way that means it's unlikely you will experience it - which makes it in many ways more exciting than regular multiplayer.

they lied about that which is a stupid and shitty thing to do.

his tweets about the odds of finding another player being infinitely low just hours before two players "find" each other remind me of that time I did 49 of the 50 proposed problems for exam preparation and the one I didn't do ended up on the exam and cost me 4/10 points of the final grade

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy

i don't have much interest in NMS nor a console that can play it, but i strongly got the impression multiplayer was involved, but featured in a way that means it's unlikely you will experience it - which makes it in many ways more exciting than regular multiplayer.

they lied about that which is a stupid and shitty thing to do.

No, they didn't lie. Their audience just didn't grasp the concept that players can't actually set up their meetings in-game as they would in contemporary multiplayer scenarios. Again, the razor-thin probability that they do cross paths is completely incidental. It may very well be the first interface of its kind, so obviously not many people have gotten familiar with it yet.

Why so much butthurt over multiplayer? why would you even want to stumble upon someone while exploring planets you're meant to be the first to walk on... If that happened to me I would just fly in the straight opposite direction, like get the fuck out of my adventure man.

Perhaps it was some kind of feature when Murray talked about it in interviews, but of course there's gonna be changes, trials and errors, failures, course changes, etc especially from a team of 10 FUCKING PEOPLE making such a HUGE GAME.

It is way too expensive though. That I fully agree with.

Guest bitroast

i think its a non issue tbh. the game has always been described as a single player game first and foremost.

i guess.. though.. some people really buzzed off the idea of random ships tooting around MAYBE being online people, and the idea that the universe was all connected and online.