IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

beat Doom singleplayer. 13 hours felt somewhat short but that's probably just the style of play with something like this. I liked it, good old-fashioned shootinz. also the multiplayer seems good so far as well, and I've really missed a fast-paced multi shooter with classic heritage.

edit: it's lame that you have to restart to go into multi though

Edited by usagi

beat Doom singleplayer. 13 hours felt somewhat short but that's probably just the style of play with something like this. I liked it, good old-fashioned shootinz. also the multiplayer seems good so far as well, and I've really missed a fast-paced multi shooter with classic heritage.

I've been playing Doom since it came out and I still haven't finished it. I don't know if it's because I'm playing on the hardest available difficulty and because I'm playing on console... or if I just suck at Doom?

Anyway, I've bought a Raspberry Pi and installed RetroPie on it so yesterday my friends and I were playing a bunch of old NES, SNES, N64 Dreamcast, PS1, and DOS games. Pure nostalgia.

I've been playing Doom since it came out and I still haven't finished it. I don't know if it's because I'm playing on the hardest available difficulty and because I'm playing on console... or if I just suck at Doom?

Anyway, I've bought a Raspberry Pi and installed RetroPie on it so yesterday my friends and I were playing a bunch of old NES, SNES, N64 Dreamcast, PS1, and DOS games. Pure nostalgia.

Oh shit, how well does it play Dreamcast games? I thought it wasn't powerful enough to run them. Is it the Pi 3? Edited by Gocab

Oh shit, how well does it play Dreamcast games? I thought it wasn't powerful enough to run them. Is it the Pi 3?

Yup, Raspberry Pi 3!

The Dreamcast emulator is a bit wonky and the framerate is oooookay. At least Jet Set/Grind Radio ran ok.

Playing Portal 2 Co-op with a friend and it's very fun. So satisfying when you figure out those puzzles and give each other a hi-five. :beer:

maybe add me on steam at some point? i'm trying to 100% this and i've only got a handful of coop achievements left to earn. probably be best to do it after you'd completed it with your friend.

Oh shit, how well does it play Dreamcast games? I thought it wasn't powerful enough to run them. Is it the Pi 3?

Yup, Raspberry Pi 3!

The Dreamcast emulator is a bit wonky and the framerate is oooookay. At least Jet Set/Grind Radio ran ok.

yeah unless they get it optimized a good bit further i wouldn't expect much more than solid emu through 64/ps1.

what are you using for controllers?

Playing Portal 2 Co-op with a friend and it's very fun. So satisfying when you figure out those puzzles and give each other a hi-five. :beer:

maybe add me on steam at some point? i'm trying to 100% this and i've only got a handful of coop achievements left to earn. probably be best to do it after you'd completed it with your friend.

Yup, Raspberry Pi 3!

yeah unless they get it optimized a good bit further i wouldn't expect much more than solid emu through 64/ps1.

what are you using for controllers?

I'm just using my Xbox One controller, but my friend is using his PS4 controller. It all works like a charm.

All the PS1 games we played ran perfect. Some even ran a bit better than I remember them doing, but that's probably just my mind playing tricks on me

Will do! My steam name is Bechuga, probably won't take us long to finish it.

Journey - Fab game. Love the seamless multiplayer and simple gameplay. Nice relaxing pre-sleep game.

Lords of the Fallen - Holy shit I knew they were trying to compete with Dark Souls but it's like they literally copy and pasted the mechanics straight in and gave it their own lame art style. The only thing unique is the spell/ability system (And somewhat convoluted leveling menu). It's pretty solid overall but whenever I play I think to myself why I don't just play Dark Souls.

@squee: how much of a hassle was it setting up the emulators and installing the roms? I think I need to do this shit if it doesn't involve constant fiddling about with setting and ssh commands.

@squee: how much of a hassle was it setting up the emulators and installing the roms? I think I need to do this shit if it doesn't involve constant fiddling about with setting and ssh commands.

Download the EmulationStation sdcard image and burn that on the card and you're pretty much good to go (aside from copying the roms which I just FTPd across)- https://retropie.org.uk/download/

Yeah, what mcbpete said. All the guides I found online were 18 minute long YouTube videos, but it took me more or less 5 minutes to set the whole thing up.

You'll be needing the following:

- Raspberry Pi 3 with built-in wifi.

- Power adapter.

- A controller

- A micro SD card (64gb)

- A case

Insert the micro SD card into the SD card adapter, plug it into your computer.

Download ApplePi Baker (don't know what the PC version is called), format the micro SD card, download the RetroPie image, burn it to the SD card, and then plug the micro SD card into the Raspberry Pi.

From there you'll need to set it up which is pretty straight forward and you'll need to get it online as well. All of this is pretty easy.

Then download Cyberduck or whatever FTP client you want to use and have it look for an SFTP server. The username will be "pi" and the password will be "raspberry". And that's it. Start downloading your ROMs and then transfer them via Cyberduck.

Quick note: Everytime you've transfered a new game you'll have to reset Emulation Station.

Oh, and before you start setting up your controller you should have a look at the control schemes on RetroPie's website. The thing is, if you use an Xbox Controller the whole thing is a bit backwards...

See what I mean?

N175LJ2.png

Oh, and before you start setting up your controller you should have a look at the control schemes on RetroPie's website. The thing is, if you use an Xbox Controller the whole thing is a bit backwards...

See what I mean?

N175LJ2.png

Haha, that's just weird. You can edit the controller setup right? Edited by Gocab

See what I mean?

N175LJ2.png

Haha, that's just weird. You can edit the controller setup right?

Absolutely!

lol holy moly, all this time and the game still has issues?

I have a horrible feeling this will be another big disappointment, no way a game's design is going to be healthy after ~9 years in development.

Oh no - That's cutting things very close to missing the Christmas sales period. Happy they actually care about bug fixing though instead of blindly putting out bug-fuelled messes a la other AAA publishers.